The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by saran12
Is accounting and finance hard in terms of the maths involved? .cause i haven't done a level maths
I do psychology, business and economics and predicated aab.
Also when a uni has entry requirements that don't specify a level maths, does thst mean the course is generally less maths heavy ?? Cause im really torn between accounting and management or accounting and finance
Thanks guys :smile:

Accounting requires arithmetic skills: addition, subtraction, multiplication, division. Finance might delve into some more 'fanciful' topics like derivatives pricing and black-scholes, which generally require a strong grasp of calculus. For the most part, the maths is simple.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Accounting requires arithmetic skills: addition, subtraction, multiplication, division. Finance might delve into some more 'fanciful' topics like derivatives pricing and black-scholes, which generally require a strong grasp of calculus. For the most part, the maths is simple.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds alright? So you think it will be ok without a lvl maths? Did u do maths btw ?
Original post by saran12
Sounds alright? So you think it will be ok without a lvl maths? Did u do maths btw ?

Yes, I'm doing Maths but it's irrelevant as I'm going to be studying Computer Science + Maths haha.

Yeah, should be fine for the most part but some unis require it for entry, I'd do some snooping to find the (good) ones that don't.
Original post by saran12
Oh right, do you do a level maths And applying to A&F ? Which unis ? :smile:

No, I don't do a-levels maths. I've applied for accounting(finance) at:
Liverpool (conditional offer)
Nottingham Trent (conditional offer)
Cardiff (unsuccessful )
Nottingham
Bournemouth

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by katy_marshall
No, I don't do a-levels maths. I've applied for accounting(finance) at:
Liverpool (conditional offer)
Nottingham Trent (conditional offer)
Cardiff (unsuccessful )
Nottingham
Bournemouth

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right that's great, good luck for your last two offers :smile:
Original post by saran12
Oh right that's great, good luck for your last two offers :smile:

Thanks, have you sent yours off yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from
Not yet my ps needs a few tweeks but im thinking of applying to qm royal holloway, brunel kent and maybe Herts or Nottingham. Wanna stay in london tho
[QUOTE="saran12;60580341"]

Posted from
Not yet my ps needs a few tweeks but im thinking of applying to qm royal holloway, brunel kent and maybe Herts or Nottingham. Wanna stay in london tho

Well I hope it all goes great, let us know when you get your offers :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Heya, im doing ACCA(just started) but i am considering going to Uni, im stuck between choosing Queen Marys and City (Cass Business school) which would be the best?
The maths is pretty basic for the accounting but some students I talked to said it can get very challenging for the finance part, however extra help is offered for those who didn't take A level maths.
Reply 70
I'm planning to further in accounting and finance / accounting and economics , and I'm torn between Exeter or Lancaster University for my last UCAS choice. I'm looking for a campus life, not so in the middle of the city but city is between reach. Any seggestions guys?
Reply 71
Original post by Qsy
I'm planning to further in accounting and finance / accounting and economics , and I'm torn between Exeter or Lancaster University for my last UCAS choice. I'm looking for a campus life, not so in the middle of the city but city is between reach. Any seggestions guys?

Then Exeter would be perfect. The town is a 10 minute walk from one of the nicest campuses in England.
Reply 72
Applied on 21st October for
*A&F with European Study at Exeter (AAB offer, 2nd November)
*A&F at Birmingham (AAB if insurance, unconditional offer if firm, 5th November)
*A&F at City University London (AAA offer, 5th November) (that was a really good day 😂)
*Accounting at Queen's, Belfast (acknowledgment email said it's a competitive course so they hold out on decisions until after the UCAS deadline)
*A&F at Surrey (acknowledgment email but nothing since, not holding out for anything anytime soon tbh)

Has anyone heard back from Surrey yet?
Original post by speren
*A&F at Birmingham (AAB if insurance, unconditional offer if firm, 5th November)
*A&F at City University London (AAA offer, 5th November) (that was a really good day 😂)
*Accounting at Queen's, Belfast (acknowledgment email said it's a competitive course so they hold out on decisions until after the UCAS deadline)
*A&F at Surrey (acknowledgment email but nothing since, not holding out for anything anytime soon tbh)

I applied for Surrey as well and haven't got anything back but I have received offers from the other 4
Reply 74
Congratulations on your offers ! whats were your predicted grades and your actually AS if you dont mind ?
Original post by speren

So is city better than queen mary? And is there much difference between accounting and finance (and) accounting and management
Original post by Garfield96
So is city better than queen mary? And is there much difference between accounting and finance (and) accounting and management

Cass has a better name than QMUL does, at least in the finance sphere.

Management vs Finance is the difference.... Depends which you'd rather study - I'd say finance gives you more concrete knowledge though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Cass has a better name than QMUL does, at least in the finance sphere.

Management vs Finance is the difference.... Depends which you'd rather study - I'd say finance gives you more concrete knowledge though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because im planning on doing ACCA after, so I was just wondering which one would help me with the acca after.
Original post by Garfield96
Because im planning on doing ACCA after, so I was just wondering which one would help me with the acca after.

Both.

Accounting is what matters for the ACCA because you can get exceptions - everythung else is secondary.

If you'd like to head into finance, the modules covered in A&F are much more applicable.
Reply 79
Original post by foggodun
I applied for Surrey as well and haven't got anything back but I have received offers from the other 4

That's reassuring at least, thanks! Congrats on your other offers, where else did you apply? :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending