The Student Room Group

Angry Mob Attack 'Hipster' Cereal Cafe in East London

The mob were apparently doing so in protest of the gentrification process happening in these neighbourhoods. In essence, richer people buying and renovating houses/buildings in order to hike up the prices and rent out to other affluent people; likely resulting in the displacement of poorer people from their homes. Many complain about not only the money but the culture change when they see their neighbourhoods renovated to a state of unaffordability.

The cereal costs £2.50 - £5.00 a bowl... so not exactly cheap. However I still think a violent protest was wrong, and they shouldn't have stooped so low as to attack a small business.

But what do you guys think? Do you think peaceful protests achieve nothing, that your voice won't be heard if you go through the proper channels? Perhaps some of you think violence is necessary.

Discuss.
(edited 8 years ago)
48hr delay.😊
I think a culture change toward "gentrification" is better than the kind you find in a lot of East London.
Its completely insane. The whole thing is part of some psuedo-macho attempt to be violent in the name of preventing cultural and economic change in a community.
Reply 4
Reply 5
Ah, didn't realise there was already a thread on it. :/

Mods can delete this one should they so choose, or we can just carry on with the discussion. xD
i.... i like this new thread
Reply 7
I think the residents of East London, particularly Shorditch have some cheek to complain about culture change.
Original post by Truths
I think the residents of East London, particularly Shorditch have some cheek to complain about culture change.

I'm not even South Asian, but I would much rather eat at a cultural Asian restaurant than eat cereal with White hipsters
I saw that cafe on C4 news ,reminded me of the type of people I hate in London. They were so up their own arses. Claiming they were above talking to the journalist.
Original post by Truths

Oh here we go, more of it. The young Tory immigration outrage.
Said before and will say again;
Can't believe how Alf Garnettish the younger people on here sound.
Smashing up a cereal cafe in the name of gentrification is the equivalent of punching a hotdog in the name of veganism.
Original post by Danz123
The mob were apparently doing so in protest of the gentrification process happening in these neighbourhoods. In essence, richer people buying and renovating houses/buildings in order to hike up the prices and rent out to other affluent people; likely resulting in the displacement of poorer people from their homes. Many complain about not only the money but the culture change when they see their neighbourhoods renovated to a state of unaffordability.

The cereal costs £2.50 - £5.00 a bowl... so not exactly cheap. However I still think a violent protest was wrong, and they shouldn't have stooped so low as to attack a small business.

But what do you guys think? Do you think peaceful protests achieve nothing, that your voice won't be heard if you go through the proper channels? Perhaps some of you think violence is necessary.

Discuss.

Do these people think that most businesses operate as a charity?

Do they not realise that if you go to a greasy spoon and pay £5 for a big fry up that you're getting at most £1 worth of ingredients, and that if you go to McDonalds and pay £2.70 for a Big Mac that the cost to them is about £0.15, or that a £2 pint in your local pub makes them a profit of at least £1.50.

What the guys that own this "cereal cafe" are doing is no different to what any other business is doing and the actions of these "protesters" is utterly moronic and pretty damn disgraceful.
Original post by Rad-Reloaded
I'm not even South Asian, but I would much rather eat at a cultural Asian restaurant than eat cereal with White hipsters

Then don't ****ing go there.

Problem solved.
Reply 14
Original post by Danz123

Discuss.

I remember reading an interview with the owners of the cafe where reporter asked what they thought about being branded as symbols of gentrification of the local area and services aimed at people who have much more income than the average locals.

- Firstly, if you cant afford the £3.75 (average price) for a bowl of cereal, I think you have bigger problems than "elitist gentrification" of your neighborhood
- Secondly, these guys do not have any political agenda - they are just a couple of guys who had a cool idea and turned it into a business; why are they being made scapegoats for these proletariat protests?
Original post by mackemforever
Then don't ****ing go there.

Problem solved.

Lol

Can't anyway if they're getting their asses beat.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending