The Student Room Group

Maths and Physics courses

I was wondering whether it would be better to study applied maths and physics or theoretical physics. I want to do my PhD and continue research in one of these subjects but I'm unsure what differences there is in the courses. In either of the courses is there one were I would be doing more maths than physics or vice versa? Or does one course offer more evidence for certain subjects instead of just learning off formulae?

Thanks for any help you provide! x
Reply 1
Original post by aleonard1
I was wondering whether it would be better to study applied maths and physics or theoretical physics. I want to do my PhD and continue research in one of these subjects but I'm unsure what differences there is in the courses. In either of the courses is there one were I would be doing more maths than physics or vice versa? Or does one course offer more evidence for certain subjects instead of just learning off formulae?

Thanks for any help you provide! x

You will have to look into each courses for every uni that offers that, as they are quite different (the course structure that is), You will do far more Maths in Theoretical Physics than Physics for sure, and definitely far more Maths in a Maths degree.

I'd recommend Warwick and Bath, as their course is very diverse. Also do take a look at BIrmingham (though they do not show much information on the exact course modules students can do).

I'm also thinking of doing Mathematical Physics, but since I don't do Physics only two unis may consider me (but I'm thinking of doing a normal Maths degree and choosing the Physics optional modules).

Quick Reply

Latest