The Student Room Group

Corbyn gives Labour bounce in Wales - Poll

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bornblue

Now of course, I take this with less than a grain of salt as I do with all polls now - but if you put stock in polls, which I don't, then it doesn't exactly look like Labour is falling apart under Corbyn does it?

This is what they call a dead cat bounce.

Corbyn's approach would always enthuse new supporters quickly (though it is another issue whether they will ever turn out and vote for him). It takes longer for disillusioned existing supporters finally to turn their back on the Labour Party.

Therefore support goes up even whilst it is inevitable that it will fall. Corbyn's short term increase in support was widely predicted
Original post by nulli tertius
This is what they call a dead cat bounce.

Corbyn's approach would always enthuse new supporters quickly (though it is another issue whether they will ever turn out and vote for him). It takes longer for disillusioned existing supporters finally to turn their back on the Labour Party.

Therefore support goes up even whilst it is inevitable that it will fall. Corbyn's short term increase in support was widely predicted

I think it's more likely his support will steadily increase as people see him without the media spin.

One thing to note though is that the Labour Party hasn't imploded or split.

Only time will tell but the London Mayoral election could be huge. If Labour win that it can really start to generate some momentum.
Another big test will be to see how they do in Scotland and whether they can start to close that massive gap to the SNP.

It's all to play for and very exciting. Bring it on.
If you'd bothered to have read the first line I posted you would have seen that I absolutely do not trust polls including this one.

More that a lot of tories on here have been clinging to polls showing Corbyn will fail so this is a nice, gentle rebuttal to the opinion that the Labour party will implode under Corbyn.

Let us look at what you said;

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/welsh-labour-enjoying-corbyn-bounce-10146796

Now let me preface this by saying I don't trust polls anymore, including this one. However there are a fair few on this site who put a lot of stock in polls so this one will be interesting to them for the sake of balance.
The poll has Labour up four points to 39% for Welsh constituencies and 5 points up for the Welsh Assembly elections in May.

Also interestingly, nearly a quarter of those in the sample who voted for Plaid Cymru, and almost a third of Lib-Dem voters, now say they would vote Labour in a general election. So Lib-Dem to Labour switchers, wasn't it supposed to be the other way round?

Now of course, I take this with less than a grain of salt as I do with all polls now - but if you put stock in polls, which I don't, then it doesn't exactly look like Labour is falling apart under Corbyn does it?

I commented saying that the polls can say what they want, and people can try and use them as evidence, it won't mean anything.

You then had a little tantrum.

If you'd bothered to have read the first line I posted you would have seen that I absolutely do not trust polls including this one.

More that a lot of tories on here have been clinging to polls showing Corbyn will fail so this is a nice, gentle rebuttal to the opinion that the Labour party will implode under Corbyn.

For someone who doesn't seem to believe in polls they are being a bit strange by then thinking of this as some kind of rebuttal. So again, no, it is not a rebuttal. This is for the reasons I have given. Don't like it? Diddums. You mentioned polls, I mentioned that they can't be trusted, you had a little tantrum, and I stand by my point-anyone who thinks this is going to worry Tories is obviously a bit silly.
Original post by Gears265
I am surprised by your sense of politics since you are a homosexual after all

I don't care if he is gay or not. I was joking. I don't really think he/she meant it in a sexual way since the only picture I have up is of a bunny rabbit.

So I was only joking. And as for their gender-if we were being serious they don't display it.
Original post by i<3milkshake
I don't care if he is gay or not. I was joking. I don't really think he/she meant it in a sexual way since the only picture I have up is of a bunny rabbit.

So I was only joking. And as for their gender-if we were being serious they don't display it.

I was joking and he knows it lol
Let us look at what you said;

I commented saying that the polls can say what they want, and people can try and use them as evidence, it won't mean anything.

You then had a little tantrum.

For someone who doesn't seem to believe in polls they are being a bit strange by then thinking of this as some kind of rebuttal. So again, no, it is not a rebuttal. This is for the reasons I have given. Don't like it? Diddums. You mentioned polls, I mentioned that they can't be trusted, you had a little tantrum, and I stand by my point-anyone who thinks this is going to worry Tories is obviously a bit silly.

--
(edited 8 years ago)

What as if the already Red Wales will decide the election?
Seems you can't read and understand which is an issue.
It was as clear as day that my point was only to people who do put stock in polls - I am not one of them as I made clear several times.

Yet for some weird reason you said this would be a rebuttal for the Tories. So you don't believe in polls, but believe their results can be a rebuttal for the Tores.

Right. That clears that up.

(You're full of crap).
Original post by banterboy
What as if the already Red Wales will decide the election?

Labour need Scotland and Wales to vote for them in their entirety to make up for the impact Corbyn will have in the UK.
Labour need Scotland and Wales to vote for them in their entirety to make up for the impact Corbyn will have in the UK.

I doubt it will make a difference. Wales and Scotland cannot win back the seats, if the Scottish/Welsh votes are in opposition to an ENglish vote, Scotland and Wales must be forgone. To be honest, Labour don't have a hope with Corbyn and in that case getting the provinces back onside might be good in the long run.
Original post by saxsan4
Labour will loose most of its English seats

loose? lose*

(Sorry, but it's a mistake that I can't let pass.)

If you weren't an idiot you would understand that you made a thread about poll results for Corbyn. I just stated why the left do well in polls but that means nothing.

You then get rude and have a little tantrum.

You must be one of those chavs in Merthyr Tydfil or whatever it is called with more asbos than brain cells.

Lol :laugh:

I wasn't being rude or an idiot- you just failed to read what I wrote. Even though I made it clear that I did not believe in the accuracy or reliability of polls but merely it was a rebuttal to the tories on here that do.

Then you start with the personal attacks. No I don't live in Wales nor do I have an Asbo. Let's have a mature discussion eh? Enough with the childish personal attacks.

@i<3milkshake @Bornblue

I was going to quote you two, and say 'don't bring Wales into this discussion' but then I looked at the title of the thread again and remembered we're talking about it. ;p

You forget to say no homo.

Perhaps he is homo?
(@saxsan4 I joke.)
Original post by XcitingStuart
loose? lose*

(Sorry, but it's a mistake that I can't let pass.)

Typing on a keyboard these things happen. I am sure if you seek professional guidance and therapy you can overcome the horror which you have witnesses.

Lol :laugh:

@i<3milkshake @Bornblue

I was going to quote you two, and say 'don't bring Wales into this discussion' but then I looked at the title of the thread again and remembered we're talking about it. ;p

Perhaps he is homo?
(@saxsan4 I joke.)

Wales can do whatever it likes; for me it is a classic case of what happens when you have Labour in for too long. Look at its economy (whether it s growing or offering decent wages), education, healthcare, child poverty rates, etc.

This idea that Labour are good for Wales is hilarious. The turkeys really are votinf for Christmas. I am not saying they should necessarily go Tory-they may well choose to screw the established perennial letter-downs. But at the very least stop voting Labour all the time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending