The Student Room Group

Taking a gap year even before applying to Medicine?

Hi guys,

I am an international student. I decided to apply for Medicine a month ago and my deadline is in just over 2 weeks! I have great GCSE and AS scores and will get high A2 predictions too. I do have some relevant work experience (done over 2+ years ago however) and my extra-curricular activities are not that strong for my Personal Statement. I also have been rushing my UKCAT prep (and I will also be taking the BMAT) as the decision to do Medicine was very sudden. So far I have been getting a 600 average in my UKCAT and its in 4 days

I understand that Medicine is incredibly hard to get into and there is a chance I won't get in this year OR after a gap year but I think it would benefit me to take a gap year, spend a bit more time doing work experience and other activities to help my Personal Statement...and also focus on the medical admissions tests.

Any suggestions? What are people's thoughts? Should I apply this year and see what happens or should I just go straight into a gap year?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by LexieA
Hi guys,

I am an international student. I decided to apply for Medicine a month ago and my deadline is in just over 2 weeks! I have great GCSE and AS scores and will get high A2 predictions too. I do have some relevant work experience (done over 2+ years ago however) and my extra-curricular activities are not that strong for my Personal Statement. I also have been rushing my UKCAT prep (and I will also be taking the BMAT) as the decision to do Medicine was very sudden. So far I have been getting a 600 average in my UKCAT and its in 4 days

I understand that Medicine is incredibly hard to get into and there is a chance I won't get in this year OR after a gap year but I think it would benefit me to take a gap year, spend a bit more time doing work experience and other activities to help my Personal Statement...and also focus on the medical admissions tests.

Any suggestions? What are people's thoughts? Should I apply this year and see what happens or should I just go straight into a gap year?

Hey!

You seem pretty set in terms of grades and experience. In my opinion, both options sound okay.

I applied during my gap year. The benefit of that is that you already have your results so offered will be mostly unconditional. It also gives you time to get more experience, see if medicine is for you, travel and/or work if you'd like.

You could also apply this year. If you;re doing okay with UKCAT now you may as well use that momentum and go do well on the actual exam. If you get offered a place you could defer it (I think universities still allow that but I'm not sure)

Good luck whatever you do!
Reply 2
Original post by greenjellybean
Hey!

You seem pretty set in terms of grades and experience. In my opinion, both options sound okay.

I applied during my gap year. The benefit of that is that you already have your results so offered will be mostly unconditional. It also gives you time to get more experience, see if medicine is for you, travel and/or work if you'd like.

You could also apply this year. If you;re doing okay with UKCAT now you may as well use that momentum and go do well on the actual exam. If you get offered a place you could defer it (I think universities still allow that but I'm not sure)

Good luck whatever you do!

Thank you!! I ended up getting a 665 in my UKCAT.
Original post by LexieA
Thank you!! I ended up getting a 665 in my UKCAT.

So are you taking a gap year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Jeena_hunt5476
So are you taking a gap year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No! I decided to apply this year because it is very hard to get into medicine and there is no guarantee that I will get in after a gap year as well. I thought that even if I get rejected I could still ask for feedback from all universities as to what I lacked in. Also interviews are really nerve-racking for me. I will try my level best in them but if unfortunately i don't get in atleast I would have had the previous experience to work on?
Reply 5
Update: I got a 665 in the ukcat and a band 2 in situational judgement.

Does anyone know which unis i would be competitive for?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending