The Student Room Group

Chemistry calculations, help!

10 cm^3 of a concentrated solution of sulfuric acid was carefully diluted with water. More water was added until the final volume of the solution was 1000 cm^3. The concentration of 25 cm^3 of that diluted solution was found to be 0.12 mol/dm^3.

What is the concentration of the original concentrated sulfuric acid?
Original post by barbruh
10 cm^3 of a concentrated solution of sulfuric acid was carefully diluted with water. More water was added until the final volume of the solution was 1000 cm^3. The concentration of 25 cm^3 of that diluted solution was found to be 0.12 mol/dm^3.

What is the dilution factor ....?
Reply 2
Original post by charco
What is the dilution factor ....?

You mean, if any sort of information like that was given in the question or not? No there isn't any.
Original post by barbruh
You mean, if any sort of information like that was given in the question or not? No there isn't any.

No I don't mean that.

I mean by what factor has the solution been diluted if it goes from 10ml to 1000ml?

i.e. what do you have to multiply 10 by to get 1000?

Your concentration will reduce by the same factor.
Original post by barbruh
c=n/v. Whereby n is the number of moles and v is the volume. Work it out for the one you know then write out the equation and compare the molar ratio. The volume must be in dm3 not cm3.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest