The Student Room Group

How grades-dependent are JLR apprenticeships?

With most uni courses, your place is confirmed mainly with grades in mind and a little bit of your personal statement and things taken into account. I want to apply for a Jaguar Land Rover apprenticeship with A*BB at A Level but they only want BBC. Is that likely to give me a head start over some of the other candidates or will they base their decision on what they see in interviews and other assessments?

Cheers
Reply 1
Original post by jackhaugh
With most uni courses, your place is confirmed mainly with grades in mind and a little bit of your personal statement and things taken into account. I want to apply for a Jaguar Land Rover apprenticeship with A*BB at A Level but they only want BBC. Is that likely to give me a head start over some of the other candidates or will they base their decision on what they see in interviews and other assessments?

Cheers

Hi, my son went through the Higher recruitment process this year and was fortunate to be placed on the reserve list. He did get a call from JLR just after results day but unfortunately he did not meet the grades required. There are several steps to the recruitment process and your grades initially will get you on to the first step of the ladder, from then on it is about meeting their required criteria. If successful then you move on to the next stage of the process culminating in assessment day and interviews. I think this year there were 6,800 applicants for 105 jobs with about 220 getting to the final stage. It is definitely worth going for and I think their recruitment process begins in November. Good luck.
Reply 2
Original post by Legalsec
Hi, my son went through the Higher recruitment process this year and was fortunate to be placed on the reserve list. He did get a call from JLR just after results day but unfortunately he did not meet the grades required. There are several steps to the recruitment process and your grades initially will get you on to the first step of the ladder, from then on it is about meeting their required criteria. If successful then you move on to the next stage of the process culminating in assessment day and interviews. I think this year there were 6,800 applicants for 105 jobs with about 220 getting to the final stage. It is definitely worth going for and I think their recruitment process begins in November. Good luck.

Thanks! That is a LOT of applicants. It's by far the best course for me that I've seen out there, the applications open on the 5th. I'll definitely be applying.
Reply 3
Glad I could help. Are you just applying to JLR? There are quite a few other higher apprenticeships out there too.
Reply 4
Glad I could help. Are you just applying to JLR? There are quite a few other higher apprenticeships out there too.

I have a place next year at University of Nottingham so I'm looking at a degree apprenticeship that gives you a degree from a Russell Group university and the only other onesI know for that are JLR and PwC. I know that can come across as quite snobby but it's not like that haha. I am very interested in degree apprenticeships and I think I would rather do that than a normal undergrad degree.
Reply 5
Original post by jackhaugh
I have a place next year at University of Nottingham so I'm looking at a degree apprenticeship that gives you a degree from a Russell Group university and the only other onesI know for that are JLR and PwC. I know that can come across as quite snobby but it's not like that haha. I am very interested in degree apprenticeships and I think I would rather do that than a normal undergrad degree.

I see. That sounds like a plan and there is nothing wrong with that. Have you looked at the KPMG degree programme - I think they work with Durham Uni and a few others? Is there any specific industry sector you are interested in? My son also applied to BAe, Rolls Royce, Airbus, JCB as examples but he wants to be in engineering.
Reply 6
I see. That sounds like a plan and there is nothing wrong with that. Have you looked at the KPMG degree programme - I think they work with Durham Uni and a few others? Is there any specific industry sector you are interested in? My son also applied to BAe, Rolls Royce, Airbus, JCB as examples but he wants to be in engineering.

That's who I meant haha, KPMG not PwC. Either banking, finance or business/management would be my preferred sectors. All these new schemes are very heavily based in engineering, so your son should have a good amount of choice.
Reply 7
My son's just started a Manufacturing Engineering degree at Coventry run in collaboration with Unipart so his prospects look good and he's very happy with it.

Good luck with everything that you do and I hope you are successful with your applications.
Reply 8
My son's just started a Manufacturing Engineering degree at Coventry run in collaboration with Unipart so his prospects look good and he's very happy with it.

Good luck with everything that you do and I hope you are successful with your applications.

Thanks very much, and thanks for the advice too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending