The Student Room Group

Fourier transform of sinx

The fourier transform (FT) of a sin function (from time domain to frequency domain) would be characterised by two vertical lines of equal magnitude at +f and -f (where f = frequency). I am not sure, though, why the y value at +f and -f are +ve A and -ve A respectively (where A = ampltidue). Why would ampltidue be in the negative direction for -f and not +f

(And why for the FT of a cos(x) graph would both +f and -f be +ve A)
Thanks
Hi, I've moved your thread to the maths section. :smile:
Reply 2
What is the relationship between Asin(fx) and -Asin(-fx)? And between Acos(fx) and Acos(-fx)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jsmith6131
The fourier transform (FT) of a sin function (from time domain to frequency domain) would be characterised by two vertical lines of equal magnitude at +f and -f (where f = frequency). I am not sure, though, why the y value at +f and -f are +ve A and -ve A respectively (where A = ampltidue). Why would ampltidue be in the negative direction for -f and not +f

(And why for the FT of a cos(x) graph would both +f and -f be +ve A)
Thanks

I think that this follows easily from the fact that sinωx=12i(eiωxeiωx)\sin \omega x = \frac{1}{2i}(e^{i\omega x}-e^{-i\omega x})

You end up with a sum of translated delta functions of opposite amplitude due to the subtraction. And for the cosine, you start with cosωx=12(eiωx+eiωx)\cos \omega x = \frac{1}{2}(e^{i\omega x}+e^{-i\omega x})
Original post by atsruser
I think that this follows easily from the fact that sinωx=12i(eiωxeiωx)\sin \omega x = \frac{1}{2i}(e^{i\omega x}-e^{-i\omega x})

You end up with a sum of translated delta functions of opposite amplitude due to the subtraction. And for the cosine, you start with cosωx=12(eiωx+eiωx)\cos \omega x = \frac{1}{2}(e^{i\omega x}+e^{-i\omega x})

thanks

Quick Reply

Latest