The Student Room Group

politics

heya,
im in year 11 and for Alevels have chosen:
history
english literature
economics
politics.

however, im wondering how respected politics is as an alevel...as i have read that it is on the list of unsuitable subjecs for cambridge so i am wondering do other top unis also class it as that as well?
i took it as i have an interest in politics, and i really feel asif i'd enjoy it..but i'm wondering how respected it infact is.

Reply 1
I got in to Cambridge with politics as one of my main A Levels. So of course its not disregarded. Those subjects are fine and similar to what i had. I did english Lang/lit, Economics, Politics and Philosophy.
Reply 2
well done on the cambridge offer :smile:!
just wondering what gcse grades did you get?
Reply 3
I did crap at GCSEs. I got 10As but my school was crap so I think they added gcse points on. 3.6 points to be precise. SO according to them, and this is what I was told, my gcses equated to 9A*s and 1A. I was very very surprised.
Reply 4
I applied to cambridge this year (didn't get in mind) and politics was not on their subject blacklist
Reply 5
my grades arent high enough (gcses) for oxbridge anyway lol.
as long as no other unis blacklist politics its all good :smile:!
Reply 6
If you get 4As at AS Level then you've got a chance.
Reply 7
my predicted gcse grades are 12A's [already got one]
and my school is 33.3 on that gcse average site.
Reply 8
If you do get 12As then you'll have a score of 7.2. 7.2 plus 2.4 equals 9.6 - The same as me. :smile: You deffo have a chance
Reply 9
RdotR
my grades arent high enough (gcses) for oxbridge anyway lol.
as long as no other unis blacklist politics its all good :smile:!

Can I just say, I was placed in the intercollege pool at Cambridge with 4 A's 6 B's 1 C at GCSE...and my school is about average. I strongly believe that GCSEs dont matter than much. My AS' were better mind you.
It's not on the unsuitable list, it's on the limited suitability list. So it's not as badly regarded as subjects like media, film, buiness and ICT, but it's also not as well regarded as your other subjects- it's somewhere in the middle. You'll be fine though. I got an offer from Cambridge with 1 A*, 6 As and 3 Bs at GCSE, AABB at AS and my subjects were French, history, English lit and sociology, so 3 suitable subjects and one limited suitability, which I think is the same as you'll have. You really don't need amazing grades and all highly respected subjects to get an offer.
Reply 11
I don't buy this limited suitability stuff; I got an offer with 3 limited suitability subjects. (Politics, Philosophy and Sociology at AS Level)
Reply 12
I would recommend doing politics; it's interesting, enjoyable, and a fairly straightforward subject to get a high grade in with revision. Yes it's on the 'B' list of having 'limitied suitablitity', but it's definately not one of the balcklisted subjects, and I'm pretty sure universities, including Oxbridge would be impressed by an A grade in it as they would be with any otjher subject.

You're dojng two/three other very respected, tradiotional subjects anyway, so it shouldn't be a problem

Latest