The Student Room Group

Struggling with core 1 maths

I have been struggling in C1 maths and I need your help, my grades in homeworks have not been the greatest, I have had a U, 3 E's 2D's and a C, we did a mock exam and he said we needed 60% to be able to cope with the course, I got 66%, but after my poor preformances what is the likelehood of me getting a C at the end of year 12, I need to know quickly as I only have a few more days to drop my subjects, I will be picking ICT instead as I enjoy working with computers
Reply 1
You can definitely get a C if you stick at it. What was your GCSE grade?
Reply 2
Drop it. Maths is evil.
Reply 3
I got an A at GCSE
Reply 4
Original post by Jack_Miller
I have been struggling in C1 maths and I need your help, my grades in homeworks have not been the greatest, I have had a U, 3 E's 2D's and a C, we did a mock exam and he said we needed 60% to be able to cope with the course, I got 66%, but after my poor preformances what is the likelehood of me getting a C at the end of year 12, I need to know quickly as I only have a few more days to drop my subjects, I will be picking ICT instead as I enjoy working with computers

Do you enjoy Maths?

Do you require Maths for your future plans?

Don't feel pressured into doing Maths if you're not enjoying it, or feel that you could be more successful with another subject.

Drop it unless you have a really good reason for doing so poorly on C1 (the easiest module in AS Maths) then you just aren't cut out for it. If you've not been paying attention in lessons or something similar, then knuckle down and you could get a B or an A at AS. If you're trying your best and still aren't getting anywhere, drop it.
Hey! Basically look at your options, maths isnt that tought of a subject however it is very time consuming and repetetive. I think it is very possible for you to get the grades you want but you have to think will you put the hours in, trust me when I say this if you want a good grade you have to do almost, if not, ALL of the exercises. Also look around at what you want to do at uni, do you need math? Do you even like it? I love the subject this makes me want to do the exercises and get grades but do you have this drive? If not its completely fine some things just arent for people and theres no shame in switching but be sure to make a rational decision and not something over a couple homeworks and a test.

(Quick not i got E's and U's in almose sll practice tests, but still came out with an A so it is clearly possible).

Good luck

Hey jack, seriously core 1 is do able you can get a b forget the c, all you need it time to understand it, it will click. It's all about first Understanding it go online watch the video tuturioals etc follow examples then do tons of questions. But first understand it. Good luck hon x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
C1 crib sheet http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=369045&d=1425294139

Also http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/maths-revision/a-level-core-1/

These are both VERY USEFUL.

If you are struggling on questions in topics, a good thing to do can be finding challenging questions in that topic and then looking at their worked solutions and then checking your textbook to understand why the question is answered like that.
Reply 9
If you are struggling, use ExamSolutions, M4THS, HegartyMaths tutorials on YouTube to help you. Just because you are doing bad right now doesn't necessarily mean you'll do bad at the end of the yr (that is to say you start doing more work now).

The best thing I would suggest is to do A LOT of practice questions. There's no other way in improving your skills in Mathematics than tackling questions. As mentioned above, go to www.physicsmathstutor.com and do all the questions by topic. I would recommend copying down examples in full steps from textbooks, and checking them occasionally until you've understood every step. Then, do EVERY question from your textbook (and find some more online). If you practice often you will see that you will improve drastically.

This is coming from someone who got a B in GCSE Maths (used to hate it so much), got Us in the mocks but ended up getting above 90% in all core modules; and now planning on doing STEP :tongue:

Notes:
http://www.mrbartonmaths.com/alevel.htm
(edited 8 years ago)
Early on found C1 hard myself and then after 2-3 past papers just got the hang of it and at one point my only revision for it was past papers because the content was easy to remember. Got 98/100 UMS, need to do proper revision, how much do you currently do and doing what?

edit: what I found was that test paper and homework questions were not like textbook questions in that you needed to think about them and how to do them.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Work hard and you'll be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I found it quite hard at the start of year 12 mainly because I wasn't doing work outside of school or paying much attention in class. If you make sure you know the content and practice past paper questions there is a very good chance you will get an A/B. I ended up going from getting Cs and Ds in small tests at this time last year to scoring 97% average in the real exams. You can defiantly do it and having maths A-Level is requires for a lot of uni courses including Computer Science.

Quick Reply

Latest