The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bloom77

However, learning human biology, I know that I want to do medicine and I love the exam questions for these because it's really knowledge based rather than application style.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Medicine is as applied as it gets (and the clinical exams absolutely reflect that).
Original post by Hippysnake
You're about as screwed as the chap the 75 year old gentleman I had on the ward who was admitted with a dull pain in the groin thought to be an incarcerated inguinal hernia. The ABG showed a lactate of 5 on admission, indicating some degree of ischemia which fit the picture. There was no obvious mass on examination and bowel sounds were present, but there was a large, pulsatile mass felt in the abdomen. An urgent CT scan was requested which found a ruptured anterior abdominal aortic aneurysm. Thank **** he'd been G+S'd as his Hb came back as 84 and he was becoming progressively more tachypnoeic and tachycardic. We stabilized him best we could and sent him on his way to the big boy hospital.

Long story short, you're screwed.

pics?
Original post by Democracy
Medicine is as applied as it gets (and the clinical exams absolutely reflect that).

Applying human biology is much easier than plant/animal/earth/life biology

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hippysnake
You're about as screwed as the chap the 75 year old gentleman I had on the ward who was admitted with a dull pain in the groin thought to be an incarcerated inguinal hernia. The ABG showed a lactate of 5 on admission, indicating some degree of ischemia which fit the picture. There was no obvious mass on examination and bowel sounds were present, but there was a large, pulsatile mass felt in the abdomen. An urgent CT scan was requested which found a ruptured anterior abdominal aortic aneurysm. Thank **** he'd been G+S'd as his Hb came back as 84 and he was becoming progressively more tachypnoeic and tachycardic. We stabilized him best we could and sent him on his way to the big boy hospital.

Long story short, you're screwed.

A lot of this is still in simpler English, so good luck OP.

Half of medicine is learning all the new words.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sarah_j_jane
Im taking chem/bio/maths and i really want to be a doctor.

But thinking about it i really don't particularly enjoy biology but i love chemistry and maths.

i particularly don't like it because it's just 100% memorisation and it's like another language!

I'm not sure if it's just because i'm not particularly understanding it just yet or if it's because of my apathy towards it (don't want to self-diagnose but i'm pretty sure i've been depressed for quite some time now and i'm just so apathetic about everything).

being a doctor is really ideal to me but it's just the studying/education to become a doctor that i may struggle with if i dont like biology.

I was thinking medical/pharmaceutical research or biomedical engineering or something but i really want to become a surgeon in the future.

So confused???

So what are you doing now?? I knw this is 2 years late lol

Latest

Trending

Trending