The Student Room Group

Should I get offers?

Hi

I am applying to read CS but I have not done Maths, Further Maths, Physics etc (This is why I'm worried about getting offers!)

I've got grades AACCD (Biology, Psychology, History, General Studies, Chemistry) at AS.
I'm likely to achieve A*AB at A2 (Psych, Bio, Hist)

All the unis I am listing only require GCSE Maths (B), which I have (I presume they teach Maths ground up):

Newcastle - With Industry (4yrs) AAC / AAB if I want to do integrated MComp

Lancaster - With Industry (AAA)

Nottingham - With Industry (AAA)

Swansea - MComp with Industry (ABB) - would be perfect but it is 6 hours away from home

Northumbria [Insurance] - 320 Points - I should have 450

I'm really just looking to stay in the North (of England). Not a fan of London but do love other cities, so if you have any suggestions then fire away! I'm also really leaning towards doing an integrated MComp + Industry year:smile:

Do you think I will recieve offers or am I looking at 5 rejections straight up (It's what I get for making career decisions after AS)
(edited 8 years ago)
You should aim to get into Nottingham. I don't have much of an idea about your chances of getting an offer though.
Reply 2
Original post by Raymat
You should aim to get into Nottingham. I don't have much of an idea about your chances of getting an offer though.

Thanks.

Any particular reason why I should over Newcastle?

Also, Leicester is a good option for me, - ABB with MComp.
Original post by TrojanH
Thanks.

Any particular reason why I should over Newcastle?

Also, Leicester is a good option for me, - ABB with MComp.

Nottingham has an overall better reputation as a university. I don't know which is better for CS. You better check league tables, student satisfaction and prospects.
Reply 4
Original post by Raymat
Nottingham has an overall better reputation as a university. I don't know which is better for CS. You better check league tables, student satisfaction and prospects.

In ranking for CS It varies from table to table but on average it goes like this:

Newcastle - Early 20s
Swansea - Early 20s
Lancaster - Mid 20s
Nottingham - Early 30s
Northumbria - Late 30s

This is based on several different tables. Swansea apparantly have best graduate prospects though. :smile:
Original post by TrojanH
In ranking for CS It varies from table to table but on average it goes like this:

Newcastle - Early 20s
Swansea - Early 20s
Lancaster - Mid 20s
Nottingham - Early 30s
Northumbria - Late 30s

This is based on several different tables. Swansea apparantly have best graduate prospects though. :smile:

Rankings =/= reputation

Just look at the banks that sponsor the finance society at Notts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Princepieman
Rankings =/= reputation

Just look at the banks that sponsor the finance society at Notts.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah. I see, thanks very much, however doesn't realy address my main concern though - do you think I will be able to get offers without A level maths?
Original post by TrojanH
Ah. I see, thanks very much, however doesn't realy address my main concern though - do you think I will be able to get offers without A level maths?

You've legit asked me about 50 times hahaha, my answer won't change! Check your emails.
Reply 8
Original post by Princepieman
You've legit asked me about 50 times hahaha, my answer won't change! Check your emails.

Eek! It's true! I am sowreeh!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TrojanH
Hi

I am applying to read CS but I have not done Maths, Further Maths, Physics etc (This is why I'm worried about getting offers!)

I've got grades AACCD (Biology, Psychology, History, General Studies, Chemistry) at AS.
I'm likely to achieve A*AB at A2 (Psych, Bio, Hist)

All the unis I am listing only require GCSE Maths (B), which I have (I presume they teach Maths ground up):

Newcastle - With Industry (4yrs) AAC / AAB if I want to do integrated MComp

Lancaster - With Industry (AAA)

Nottingham - With Industry (AAA)

Swansea - MComp with Industry (ABB) - would be perfect but it is 6 hours away from home

Northumbria [Insurance] - 320 Points - I should have 450

I'm really just looking to stay in the North (of England). Not a fan of London but do love other cities, so if you have any suggestions then fire away! I'm also really leaning towards doing an integrated MComp + Industry year:smile:

Do you think I will recieve offers or am I looking at 5 rejections straight up (It's what I get for making career decisions after AS)

Hello, Thank you for considering Computer Science at Swansea University. Have you visited Swansea before? We have an undergraduate Open Day on Saturday 31st October if you are able to attend? You can book your place online here - https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/swansea-university-undergraduate-open-day-2015-tickets-14499306817
Open Days are a great way to find out more about Swansea University and the course you wish to study.
Please let us know if you have any other questions about Swansea University and I will try my best to help.

Quick Reply

Latest