The Student Room Group

US College Shooting - 10 Reported Dead

Scroll to see replies

Original post by welshieee
No it doesn't have anything to do with guns. These people would still get guns and do what they do regardless because the criminal market will always exist. Also, people in the UK have done such things. Look at the Raoul Moat incident for example. To suggest its guns that are the problem is insane. Switzerland and Cyprus both have incredibly high gun ownership levels and both have very low homicide levels. Switzerland for example has a lower firearm related homicide rate than France, where gun ownership is much lower. Cyprus has lower levels than Sweden, Norway and Germany per capita. Access to guns has nothing to do with it.

The problem is people feel left out and marginalised by society. These are some of the same reasons young Brits go and join groups like Islamic State because they want to be known, make a name for themselves and want to achieve it in any way they can. The main problems with America are its attitude towards those with mental health issues and its growing inequality which is concentrated in less affluent districts and suburbs in each and every state and has led to a spike in firearm related crime. America has a sick culture and gun control is not going to cure it. Cutting the weed does not kill the root. America needs to stop marginalising those who are struggling in society and give them a stake in society. Obtaining a gun on the illegal market really isn't as hard as people make out.

See above.

Thanks on both accounts.

Yeah everything you've said is correct. I was just pointing out that every time these shootings occur, it is always in a place where the law has explicitly said "no guns allowed", and the perpetrator is guaranteed 15 minutes or so of unimpeded murder before the police eventually show up.
Original post by minor bun engine
Yeah everything you've said is correct. I was just pointing out that every time these shootings occur, it is always in a place where the law has explicitly said "no guns allowed", and the perpetrator is guaranteed 15 minutes or so of unimpeded murder before the police eventually show up.

I honestly believe that if there was gun control the situation in America would be a lot worse. Firstly, the criminal market, especially in relation to arms dealing, would boom and therefore there'd be more money to utilise elsewhere in illegal activities. They have a very warped way of doing things in America where certain people are extremely marginalised and money is the focal point of everything, like people worship it. One only has to look at their healthcare system to see this is the case. I'm not saying everyone is bad there but the culture there has led to violent pockets in certain parts of states and its very worrying.
>believing hoaxes and false flags
step up sheeple
I just wanted to come in and comment. Oregon is actually one of the states that mandates that schools are required to allow guns on campus. Their state Supreme Court made it the law. College campuses are very specifically not a gun-free zone in Oregon. So all the people making the argument that this happened because the students were not allowed to carry, and were thus defenseless against a lone gunman don't know what they're talking about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campus_carry_in_the_United_States

People talking about police response time also don't know what they're talking about. On every college campus I've been on here in the US that bans guns, there's an extremely heavy police presence to make up for it. The DART transit system has a police department, every Community College and University I've been in has their own police department that patrols regularly. They go by in cars or vans, and they're in every other hall. It's not like they're coming from the police station in town all the way to the college. The officers are already on the campus in large numbers, in case anything happens. This has kept the crime rates on campus extremely low, even when it's higher in the surrounding areas.

The reason these laws are bad is that the moment they pass them, they cut down on police presence and expect people to defend themselves. In other words, these laws are usually a first step to cutting funding for police departments and leaving everyone to defend themselves against criminals on their own. All the anti-police sentiment has helped them push these laws through.

My belief is that our country is so full of ne'er-do-wells that we need armed police officers, but I don't believe that individuals in major cities should be able to carry guns. Someone living in a rural area should be allowed to have a rifle for hunting and self-protection, but there's really no good excuse for walking around a populated area with adequate police protection, armed with a concealed weapon.

So, I'm one of the few people in the US working to get the Second Amendment (the part of the Constitution that vindicates all this pro-gun nonsense) repealed, and have police presence increased to protect the citizens in exchange. As long as we have enough armed police officers, we don't need individuals with guns.

The law they have in Oregon that allowed this to happen is the exact same one they just passed here in Texas. Which is why I will be going to school in another state now. Sigh.
lol guns - The shooter posted a thread on 4chan too the night before telling them of his plans. Some of the encouraging and graphic responses were awful too
Original post by Inexorably
This is so tragic, but honestly I am so used to it. I expect nothing less from braindead United States of **** up who still insist their gun laws only "protect" people.

Only Republicans/conservatives do that. We're practically at each other's throats in regards to gun control. It's a highly, highly divisive issue here in the US. I myself am 100% for gun control.
Original post by welshieee
I honestly believe that if there was gun control the situation in America would be a lot worse. Firstly, the criminal market, especially in relation to arms dealing, would boom and therefore there'd be more money to utilise elsewhere in illegal activities. They have a very warped way of doing things in America where certain people are extremely marginalised and money is the focal point of everything, like people worship it. One only has to look at their healthcare system to see this is the case. I'm not saying everyone is bad there but the culture there has led to violent pockets in certain parts of states and its very worrying.

No offense, but you have no idea what you're talking about. This is the most generalised and stereotyped statement I have read in ages. You don't understand American culture nor American 'gun culture'/crime nor how our laws work.
Original post by Bill_Gates
Another white dude AGAIN!

It would be refreshing to see Liberals pursuing their usual apologist dogma of "understanding", and questioning whether America's politically correct anti-white anti-male common core education system is causing these people to lash out.
Reply 49

That doesn't say anything about him being white. It is just a name.
Original post by thalprice
No offense, but you have no idea what you're talking about. This is the most generalised and stereotyped statement I have read in ages. You don't understand American culture nor American 'gun culture'/crime nor how our laws work.

If you're from the US, how do you contend with the facts that:

1) Concealed carry has skyrocketed in the past few decades, coupled with a drastic reduction in all kinds of crime.
2) Hundreds to thousands of people use firearms every single day for self defence purposes, even if these incidents are never displayed in the media.
3) Mass shootings almost exclusively occur in "gun free zones" where victims are guaranteed to be defenceless.

???
Original post by DiddyDec
News just in the police have been called to Umpqua Community College responding to a shooting where 10 have been reported dead and many more injured.

The shooter is still active.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/officers-respond-report-shooting-umpqua-community-college-n437051

http://koin.com/2015/10/01/active-shooter-reported-at-umpqua-community-college/?cid=twitter_KOINNews

Edit: 13 Confirmed Dead and 20 Injured. Shooter was shot and killed by officers.

Every time this happens I think, so what? Why is this on the uk news? This happens repeatedly, it isn't shocking as it happens repeatedly and it isn't even in our country.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
Original post by paul514
Every time this happens I think, so what? Why is this on the uk news? This happens repeatedly, it isn't shocking as it happens repeatedly and it isn't even in our country.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Funnily enough neither of those links are UK news and I didn't hear story from a UK news source.

It is good to know what happens around the world.
If you're from the US, how do you contend with the facts that:

1) Concealed carry has skyrocketed in the past few decades, coupled with a drastic reduction in all kinds of crime.
2) Hundreds to thousands of people use firearms every single day for self defence purposes, even if these incidents are never displayed in the media.
3) Mass shootings almost exclusively occur in "gun free zones" where victims are guaranteed to be defenceless.

???

1) Gun control isn't about the 'law abiding' gun owners. I'm confident that there are thousands of responsible gun owners in this country, but it's the few that have ruined this right for everyone. If for every 1000 safe gun owners there's 1 mass shooter, that's too high so the privilege should be revoked for everyone. It's simply too dangerous.
2) You pulled this right out of your ass. Only about 1/4 to a 1/3 of Americans own guns. Most Americans do not live in ****ing Somalia where you would need a weapon to defend yourself. Next.
3) What does that have to do with anything?

If you look at the northeastern liberal states, where I live, we have some of the strictest gun control measures in the country. Since enacting such tough measures my state (Massachusetts) hasn't had a mass shooting in over 15 years. Previously they had been occurring every 5 years or so. Whether you like to believe it or not, gun control works. It only doesn't work that well in the US because if one state has it another doesn't, you can easily drive from one to another and get a gun. But our entire corner of the country has been tightening our gun control laws every since Sandy Hook.
(edited 8 years ago)
That doesn't say anything about him being white. It is just a name.

mercer: Although it is of early medieval French origin, this is an English and Scottish occupational surname for a trader, or merchant.

Could be mixed though. But he still got the crazy.
Original post by thalprice
1) Gun control isn't about the 'law abiding' gun owners. I'm confident that there are thousands of responsible gun owners in this country, but it's the few that have ruined this right for everyone. If for every 1000 safe gun owners there's 1 mass shooter, that's too high so the privilege should be revoked for everyone. It's simply too dangerous.
2) You pulled this right out of your ass. Only about 1/4 to a 1/3 of Americans own guns. Most Americans do not live in ****ing Somalia where you would need a weapon to defend yourself. Next.
3) What does that have to do with anything?

If you look at the northeastern liberal states, where I live, we have some of the strictest gun control measures in the country. Since enacting such tough measures my state (Massachusetts), for example, hasn't had a mass shooting in over 15 years. Previously they had been occurring every 5 years or so. Whether you like to believe it or not, gun control works. It only doesn't work that well in the US because if one state has it another doesn't, you can easily drive from one to another and get a gun.

1) There are around 100 million gun owners in the USA, and approximately 15 mass shooting incidences a year. That's 0.000015% of gun owners committing mass shootings every year. So a very far cry from your "1 in 1000" estimate. When's the last time we banned something because 0.000015% of the time it was used improperly?

2) "Estimates over the number of defensive gun uses vary, depending on the study's population, criteria, time-period studied, and other factors. Higher end estimates by Kleck and Gertz show between 1 to 2.5 million DGUs in the United States each year.[1]:64–65[2][3] Low end estimates cited by Hemenway show approximately 55,000-80,000 such uses each year.[4][5] Middle estimates have estimated approximately 1 million DGU incidents in the United States.[1]:65[6] The basis for the studies, the National Self-Defense Survey and theNational Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS), vary in their methods, time-frames covered, and questions asked.[7] DGU questions were asked of all the NSDS sample.[3] Due to screening questions in the NCVS survey, only a minority of the NCVS sample were asked a DGU question.[8] Besides the NSDS and NCVS surveys, ten national and three state surveys summarized by Kleck and Gertz gave 764 thousand to 3.6 million DGU per year.[3] Hemenway contends the Kleck and Gertz study is unreliable and no conclusions can be drawn from it.[4] He argues that there are too many "false positives" in the surveys, and finds the NCVS figures more reliable, yielding estimates of around 100,000 defensive gun uses per year. Applying different adjustments, other social scientists suggest that between 250,000 and 370,000 incidences per year."

3) Mass shooters specifically pick out areas where liberal gun laws are in place, guaranteeing defenceless victims and minimal resistance during their massacres. What doesn't this have to do with the issue in hand?

You seem spectacularly uninformed on this issue.
Reply 57
Original post by Bill_Gates
mercer: Although it is of early medieval French origin, this is an English and Scottish occupational surname for a trader, or merchant.

Could be mixed though. But he still got the crazy.

There is no possible way of knowing he is white, until you either see a picture or it is at least in a news report.

It could also be a name given by a slave owner.
1) There are around 100 million gun owners in the USA, and approximately 15 mass shooting incidences a year. That's 0.000015% of gun owners committing mass shootings every year. So a very far cry from your "1 in 1000" estimate. When's the last time we banned something because 0.000015% of the time it was used improperly?

2) "Estimates over the number of defensive gun uses vary, depending on the study's population, criteria, time-period studied, and other factors. Higher end estimates by Kleck and Gertz show between 1 to 2.5 million DGUs in the United States each year.[1]:64–65[2][3] Low end estimates cited by Hemenway show approximately 55,000-80,000 such uses each year.[4][5] Middle estimates have estimated approximately 1 million DGU incidents in the United States.[1]:65[6] The basis for the studies, the National Self-Defense Survey and theNational Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS), vary in their methods, time-frames covered, and questions asked.[7] DGU questions were asked of all the NSDS sample.[3] Due to screening questions in the NCVS survey, only a minority of the NCVS sample were asked a DGU question.[8] Besides the NSDS and NCVS surveys, ten national and three state surveys summarized by Kleck and Gertz gave 764 thousand to 3.6 million DGU per year.[3] Hemenway contends the Kleck and Gertz study is unreliable and no conclusions can be drawn from it.[4] He argues that there are too many "false positives" in the surveys, and finds the NCVS figures more reliable, yielding estimates of around 100,000 defensive gun uses per year. Applying different adjustments, other social scientists suggest that between 250,000 and 370,000 incidences per year."

3) Mass shooters specifically pick out areas where liberal gun laws are in place, guaranteeing defenceless victims and minimal resistance during their massacres. What doesn't this have to do with the issue in hand?

You seem spectacularly uninformed on this issue.

There's no use informing you of the truth, seeing as how you'd prefer thousands more innocent Americans to die rather than reform our gun laws like the UK and Australia did. Both the UK and Australia now have a tiny number of firearms deaths when proportionally compared to the US. Goodbye.
http://readersupportednews.org/news-section2/335-156/12554-58-murders-a-year-by-firearms-in-britain-8775-in-us
There is no possible way of knowing he is white, until you either see a picture or it is at least in a news report.

It could also be a name given by a slave owner.

wow no need to get personal bro

jeez who took the jam out of your donut.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending