The Student Room Group

Speech Suggestions...

I am to do a speech proposal for a mate who is running a campaign to get onto a commitee....and I just don't know where to start...so was wondering if people could put forth ideas please...? :frown:

Or if anyone on here has done a proposal speech...how did u do yours..?

Responces would be much appreciated...and good ones will be +repped...

:smile:
Reply 1
Sorry, just to be sure.... the purpose of the speech is to talk-up your mate so the committee like him and let him join?
Reply 2
Johnny C.
Sorry, just to be sure.... the purpose of the speech is to talk-up your mate so the committee like him and let him join?

Yep...
Reply 3
I can't really write this for you as I don't know your mate and I don;t know what committee he's applied for but here's some advice to get you started:

1. Figure out what qualities are important for someone who is on the committee and why and state these in your speech. You'll be indirectly complementing the people already on the committee in doing so - as long as it is done subtly, they will like you for it. This could be a good way to open.
2. Identify which of these good qualities your mate has. These are going to be the main points of your speech.
3. Think of any stories (anecdotes - preferably funny ones) about your mate that show that he has these qualities. This makes your speech more memorable and will pad out the speech (a good speech can easily be 75% anecdotes if not more)
4. Keep the ending simple, just say thank you for everybody's attention and that you hope they give your friend the opportunity he deserves.

Hope this helps
Reply 4
It's Loughborough G. Get him to drink lots of milk and throw up, works a treat. :wink:
Reply 5
What Comittee is it? It's really quite difficult to give you a decent campaign strategy if we don't know what he's running for...
Reply 6
Montrose
It's Loughborough G. Get him to drink lots of milk and throw up, works a treat. :wink:

He's not doing the challenges, of such nature, due to bad health...

alasdair_R
What Comittee is it? It's really quite difficult to give you a decent campaign strategy if we don't know what he's running for...

He's going for our Hall's Treasurer position...
Reply 7
Original post by G&#949
He's going for our Hall's Treasurer position...

Who elects him? All the students in the Hall?

EDIT: What Uni? Oh, I see, Loughborough. Hrm...
Reply 8
Treasurer is a position that generally requires some experience in some ways. Does he have any experience in an organising role?

Also - find, or even create, a grievance. So, for example:

We don't have enough Pool Tables in the Common Room! As your treasurer, Joe Bloggs will ensure that we get funding for more pool tables.

Obviously, don't pick something out of thin air. Find something that actually is a grievance/problem, as well as being something people actually care about.
Reply 9
alasdair_R
Who elects him? All the students in the Hall?

EDIT: What Uni? Oh, I see, Loughborough. Hrm...

Yep...hall members...

alasdair_R
Treasurer is a position that generally requires some experience in some ways. Does he have any experience in an organising role?

Also - find, or even create, a grievance. So, for example:

We don't have enough Pool Tables in the Common Room! As your treasurer, Joe Bloggs will ensure that we get funding for more pool tables.

Obviously, don't pick something out of thin air. Find something that actually is a grievance/problem, as well as being something people actually care about.

He was a treasurer for a year at his college...
Reply 10
Original post by G&#949
Yep...hall members...

He was a treasurer for a year at his college...

Hrm. Okay. That's useful. He really needs the following.

At least one, better two really good, unusual achievements from when he was treasurer at his college.

At least three positive policy points he can put forward for when he's treasurer for the halls.

And at least one grievance behind which he can unite support.

Hell, gimme details and I'll write his speech for him...
alasdair_R
Hrm. Okay. That's useful. He really needs the following.

At least one, better two really good, unusual achievements from when he was treasurer at his college.

At least three positive policy points he can put forward for when he's treasurer for the halls.

And at least one grievance behind which he can unite support.

Hell, gimme details and I'll write his speech for him...

He's doing his speech....but I am doing a speech to support / big him up...
*bumps* for more suggestions....:smile:
Reply 13
Original post by G&#949
He's doing his speech....but I am doing a speech to support / big him up...

Oh, Okay. Hrm...Best thing is to talk to him about it. What's the image he wants to convey? Think of a dozen qualities he brings to the position, he can talk about half of them, you can talk about the other half...

Latest