The Student Room Group

calorie restricting?

Hey guys I've been wanting to lose weight forever. At the start of this summer I weighed 68kg (I'm 163 cm tall, 17 years old) and i looked like **** and couldn't even put my feet together fgs

anyway so over the summer i lost 6kg, by only eating sweets on Monday and chasing my siblings, dressing them up, doing loads of housework, going grocery shopping like everyday by foot, packing and unpacking bags and moving around loads. Anyway so i got down to 62 kg.

School started so I can't do the chores and all that anymore because I've got loads of work to do with A-levels and that. So despite eating the same as I did, I gained and went up to 64kg. I then restricted my calorie intake to 900 calories. Sometimes it goes nearer 1000 and sometimes nearer 800 idk depending on the day. I don't usually feel like i'm starving, i just eat loads of stuff that is low in calories like fruit and stuff. So it's not like i'm hungry 24/7.

Anyway it has now been 2 weeks and I'm down to 61.5 kg so it's clearly working. The first week i did some exercise (dancing and jump rope everyday for 30 mins) but then i ****ed my knee up so this week i haven't exercised but i'm still losing. I still walk though, and if there's time i always walk rather than take the bus. I enjoy walking and walk over 10 000 steps per day according to my S Health's walkmate.

I don't feel much different to how i used to feel when I was at 68kg. I don't have more energy but i don't have less either. I feel like i could walk more though. I still can't put my feet together without my thighs overlapping - damn you pear shape!

Is this healthy? Should I continue on this diet? Or will i die... I'm not starving myself or anything. I'm aiming to get to like 55kg... MAYBE 50 but that's too low for me i think... and then i'll increase the calorie intake slowly until i'm at the "maintaining weight" level.

What do you think?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by z33
Hey guys I've been wanting to lose weight forever. At the start of this summer I weighed 68kg (I'm 163 cm tall, 17 years old) and i looked like **** and couldn't even put my feet together fgs

anyway so over the summer i lost 6kg, by only eating sweets on Monday and chasing my siblings, dressing them up, doing loads of housework, going grocery shopping like everyday by foot, packing and unpacking bags and moving around loads. Anyway so i got down to 62 kg.

School started so I can't do the chores and all that anymore because I've got loads of work to do with A-levels and that. So despite eating the same as I did, I gained and went up to 64kg. I then restricted my calorie intake to 900 calories. Sometimes it goes nearer 1000 and sometimes nearer 800 idk depending on the day. I don't usually feel like i'm starving, i just eat loads of stuff that is low in calories like fruit and stuff. So it's not like i'm hungry 24/7.

Anyway it has now been 2 weeks and I'm down to 61.5 kg so it's clearly working. The first week i did some exercise (dancing and jump rope everyday for 30 mins) but then i ****ed my knee up so this week i haven't exercised but i'm still losing. I still walk though, and if there's time i always walk rather than take the bus. I enjoy walking and walk over 10 000 steps per day according to my S Health's walkmate.

I don't feel much different to how i used to feel when I was at 68kg. I don't have more energy but i don't have less either. I feel like i could walk more though. I still can't put my feet together without my thighs overlapping - damn you pear shape!

Is this healthy? Should I continue on this diet? Or will i die... I'm not starving myself or anything. I'm aiming to get to like 55kg... MAYBE 50 but that's too low for me i think... and then i'll increase the calorie intake slowly until i'm at the "maintaining weight" level.

What do you think?

900 calories a day is dangerously low. For your age, gender and height you should be eating approximately 2000 calories a day to maintain your current weight, and that's assuming that right now you're sticking to very light exercise such as walking, and not any high intensity activities.

If you want to lose weight you don't need to starve yourself as you are right now, even if you don't feel like you are. All you need to do is make sure you're eating a bit below your maintenance level (the approximately 2000 calories mentioned above), that you're not eating junk food, and get in a reasonable amount of exercise.

Weight loss doesn't need to be unpleasant, it's the simplest thing in the world as there are only 2 steps involved.

1) Eat less - note I don't say "eat almost nothing", I mean exactly what I say, eat a bit less than you would normally.
2) Move more.

Simple.
Reply 2
Original post by mackemforever
900 calories a day is dangerously low. For your age, gender and height you should be eating approximately 2000 calories a day to maintain your current weight, and that's assuming that right now you're sticking to very light exercise such as walking, and not any high intensity activities.

If you want to lose weight you don't need to starve yourself as you are right now, even if you don't feel like you are. All you need to do is make sure you're eating a bit below your maintenance level (the approximately 2000 calories mentioned above), that you're not eating junk food, and get in a reasonable amount of exercise.

Weight loss doesn't need to be unpleasant, it's the simplest thing in the world as there are only 2 steps involved.

1) Eat less - note I don't say "eat almost nothing", I mean exactly what I say, eat a bit less than you would normally.
2) Move more.

Simple.

hmmm... okay maybe i'll bump it up slowly to 1500? I've stopped eating junk food and working on drinking just water and green tea and avoiding juice and processed food. Tbh i don't starve myself, if i want kebab i eat kebab, if i wanted onion rings, i'll have onion rings, I have fish 3 times a week. I just make sure that on those days, i make 'calorie room' for those meals, and on those days i'll go up to 1000. I'm not feeling sick and weak... but maybe you're right and it's dangerous. I don't sit on my ass all day. my main 'exercise' right now is like 45 mins of power walking a day... around school i never sit still, i walk around up stairs, down stairs everywhere, i walk to the train station etc. I still eat carbohydrates, proteins, fibre, healthy fats, and loads of fruits and veggies as snacks. I just make sure that I have like 4 meals a day, each consisting of 250 calories, or 3 a day where breakfast is 200 , lunch is 300 and dinner is 400... which can still fill a plate.

But yeah i'll take the advice, i just wanna keep losing weight
Original post by z33

What do you think?

No having such a low intake of calorie is not the answer and is potentially more dangerous than beneficial, I'd advise you increase your calorie intake by double while exercising and burning at the same time, it's about the calories you put in and out.

Power walking isn't a form of exercise that I normally see much results from, I prefer cardio or lifting weights that way your body will get the recommended amount of daily calories while burning it off from the intense workouts at the same time.

But that's just me advice. If you find power walking works for you then that's good.:tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by That's so mean:(
No having such a low intake of calorie is not the answer and is potentially more dangerous than beneficial, I'd advise you increase your calorie intake by double while exercising and burning at the same time, it's about the calories you put in and out.

Power walking isn't a form of exercise that I normally see much results from, I prefer cardio or lifting weights that way your body will get the recommended amount of daily calories while burning it off from the intense workouts at the same time.

But that's just me advice. If you find power walking works for you then that's good.:tongue:

hmmm yeah i guess you're right. Well the only exercise i can do properly is power walking :tongue: i need to join a gym... maybe in my gap year haha
Original post by z33
hmmm yeah i guess you're right. Well the only exercise i can do properly is power walking :tongue: i need to join a gym... maybe in my gap year haha

Yeah joining a gym would be a good idea.

Anyway good luck with achieving your desired results.:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by That's so mean:(
Yeah joining a gym would be a good idea.

Anyway good luck with achieving your desired results.:smile:

thank you! :biggrin:
Can I get example of what your diet looks like when you're eating 900 calories per day?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh no :frown:
This sounds like me at the beginning of my ED :frown:
I was like 'yeah 900 calories is totally fine. Not starving myself at all'
Then I started looking at thinspiration and chanting 'nothing tastes as good as skinny feels' in my head all the time and soon enough I was down to 500 calories a day. I went from 60kg to 47kg and then my parents made me go to the hospital and my friends told me I looked like I had AIDS.
Now I am 54kg but I think I might be relapsing hehe. I'm about 5'6 now by the way.

Anyway, the point is, restricting calories like that is NOT healthy. Just find out what your bmr is and eat 500-200 calories less(healthy stuff) and workout/run/walk loads. Don't aspire to be skinny! Just to be healthy/toned. And 55kg is a good goal weight :smile:
Just do it the healthy way :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Can I get example of what your diet looks like when you're eating 900 calories per day?

Posted from TSR Mobile

well obv it differs day-to-day but i'll give you an example

breakfast:
1 cup skimmed milk - 83 calories
1 kellogg's nutri grain strawberry cereal bar - 120 calories

+ loads of water

lunch:
tuna sandwich - approx 300 calories
water
melon medley fruit salad - 29 calories

+ non fat greek yogurt - 59 calories

dinner:
1 bowl of spinach soup - 100 calories
1 khobez bread - 150 calories
salad - 50 calories
lemonade - 40 calories

+ loads of green tea

= 931 calories! (it doesn't have to be on the dot)
Reply 10
Original post by StrawbAri
Oh no :frown:
This sounds like me at the beginning of my ED :frown:
I was like 'yeah 900 calories is totally fine. Not starving myself at all'
Then I started looking at thinspiration and chanting 'nothing tastes as good as skinny feels' in my head all the time and soon enough I was down to 500 calories a day. I went from 60kg to 47kg and then my parents made me go to the hospital and my friends told me I looked like I had AIDS.
Now I am 54kg but I think I might be relapsing hehe. I'm about 5'6 now by the way.

Anyway, the point is, restricting calories like that is NOT healthy. Just find out what your bmr is and eat 500-200 calories less(healthy stuff) and workout/run/walk loads. Don't aspire to be skinny! Just to be healthy/toned. And 55kg is a good goal weight :smile:
Just do it the healthy way :smile:

wow man, yeah i've been looking into the eating disorders and watching documentaries and stuff. Deffo not wanting to go there. All i wanna do is lose some kilos you know :tongue:

also awkward moment when i'm also looking at thinspo pics. But i don't like the look of bones, i like the look of the toned girls with flat but defined tummies. but i wanna burn the fat off first before i build muscle cos don't wanna get all bulked up and then have fat around it too which makes me look like 10 kg fatter.

Also don't relapse! you're pretty tall, like i'm 5ft3 and so for me 54kg is GOALZ
but you're 5ft6 so i'd say even if you went up to like 65kg you'd still look on point. i'll try and be healthy because i'm scared i'll get all obsessed and end up almost killing myself over the number on the scale, so i'll try not to weigh myself everyday, and start eating healthier.

thank you and stay strong! :biggrin: :h:
Original post by z33
well obv it differs day-to-day but i'll give you an example

breakfast:
1 cup skimmed milk - 83 calories
1 kellogg's nutri grain strawberry cereal bar - 120 calories

+ loads of water

lunch:
tuna sandwich - approx 300 calories
water
melon medley fruit salad - 29 calories

+ non fat greek yogurt - 59 calories

dinner:
1 bowl of spinach soup - 100 calories
1 khobez bread - 150 calories
salad - 50 calories
lemonade - 40 calories

+ loads of green tea

= 931 calories! (it doesn't have to be on the dot)

What's on your tuna sandwich? The bread (200) + tuna (200) + mayo (300) combo for the tuna sandwiches I make makes a 700-900 cal sandwich. I asked because I suspected you're underestimating somewhere.

I'd recommend having a proper breakfast - more than a low cal cereal bar and cup of milk!
Reply 12
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
What's on your tuna sandwich? The bread (200) + tuna (200) + mayo (300) combo for the tuna sandwiches I make makes a 700-900 cal sandwich. I asked because I suspected you're underestimating somewhere.

I'd recommend having a proper breakfast - more than a low cal cereal bar and cup of milk!

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=264265944

i have this one lol - closer to 400 calories but meh :P :h: - i don't eat it everyday

I usually don't feel like eating breakfast - food makes me feel sick in the morning - so i usually have breakfast at like 10:30 at school

but mum's forcing me to have breakfast - so i have to force myself to down a cereal bar and milk :tongue:

2) Move more.

Simple.

I agree with the rest of your points.
But I really wish people would stop with these 2000 calories a day for women and 3000 calories a day for men nonsense. Those figures are very rough, and not good enough to be classed as approximate (close enough) for a lot of people. And if you look at people's actual TDEEs they can often lead to weight gain.

For example if OP ate 2000 calories a day going on her current weight and height assuming she is sedentary for the most part (since she has hurt her knee and spends most of her time sitting in the classroom for college). Then she would gain 1lb approximately every 2 weeks as she would be eating 256 calories above her TDEE every day. If I ate what you said is the approximate maintenance calories I would gain 1lb a week.

People really need to find out the figures that are right for them....and for the most part ignore the 2000-3000 figures. As they are wildly inaccurate for a large portion of the population.

At OP:

Tailor your calorific needs using this:

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

to lose approximately 1lb a week eat 500 calories a day less than your TDEE. To lose 2lbs eat 1000 calories less. However you probably won't want to go 1000 calories less unless you're doing some serious exercise to boost your TDEE. Otherwise you'd be looking at eating about 700-900 calories a day.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SophieSmall
I agree with the rest of your points.
But I really wish people would stop with these 2000 calories a day for women and 3000 calories a day for men nonsense. Those figures are very rough, and not good enough to be classed as approximate (close enough) for a lot of people. And if you look at people's actual TDEEs they can often lead to weight gain.

For example if OP ate 2000 calories a day going on her current weight and height assuming she is sedentary for the most part (since she has hurt her knee and spends most of her time sitting in the classroom for college). Then she would gain 1lb approximately every 2 weeks as she would be eating 256 calories above her TDEE every day. If I ate what you said is the approximate maintenance calories I would gain 1lb a week.

People really need to find out the figures that are right for them....and for the most part ignore the 2000-3000 figures. As they are wildly inaccurate for a large portion of the population.

At OP:

Tailor your calorific needs using this:

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

to lose approximately 1lb a week eat 500 calories a day less than your TDEE. To lose 2lbs eat 1000 calories less. However you probably won't want to go 1000 calories less unless you're doing some serious exercise to boost your TDEE. Otherwise you'd be looking at eating about 700-900 calories a day.

Oh look, using the link you posted if we put in a 17 year old female, 5'3" tall and weighing 68kg, undergoing light exercise, we get a TDEE of 2084, or to put it another way "approximately 2000 calories".

Don't assume that I was simply pulling numbers out of my ass, because I did exactly the same as you did, I found out an approximate TDEE and based my numbers on that.

Quite frankly though this is probably a pointless post as I'm not sure your eyesight will be good enough to read it from on top of your high horse.
Oh look, using the link you posted if we put in a 17 year old female, 5'3" tall and weighing 68kg, undergoing light exercise, we get a TDEE of 2084, or to put it another way "approximately 2000 calories".

Don't assume that I was simply pulling numbers out of my ass, because I did exactly the same as you did, I found out an approximate TDEE and based my numbers on that.

Quite frankly though this is probably a pointless post as I'm not sure your eyesight will be good enough to read it from on top of your high horse.

She's not 68, she is down to 61.5. And I put in mostly sedentary as she said she hurt her knee and isn't doing much activity.

Nice attitude. It wasn't a personal attack. I see people on this forum constantly just giving those 2 numbers regardless of anything the OP said.

Quick Reply

Latest