The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Scroll to see replies

Debs@Brum
Yes, the Vale will be the place to be next year with The Hub thing opening at the newly renovated Shakleton Hall.

If anyone is living in the Tennis Courts, make sure you post which flat you are in, just in case you are in my old flat! :smile:
that's where i want to live....but i am local so i doubt i'll get in to tennis courts...
did you know anyone who lived locally but got accomodation?? did they get where they wanted?? when did they hear about it??

Ruthie xx
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 21
Welcome back Debs! Did you do well in exams?
Debs@Brum
Yes, the Vale will be the place to be next year with The Hub thing opening at the newly renovated Shakleton Hall.

If anyone is living in the Tennis Courts, make sure you post which flat you are in, just in case you are in my old flat! :smile:

are tennis courts nice??
what is the difference between the two different prices of flats??
any info would be great!!
:smile:
Reply 23
Hi again Nylex!

Tennis Courts renovated was about £3 more than none renovated, and I think it was worth it! I believe the prices are going to be considerably higher this year though!

The housing services people were VERY poor and I only received my confirmation of where I was going to live a week before I moved in! If you are unsure about where you are allocated, do what I do and ring up- several times a week :biggrin:

This is a pic of my room when I first moved in (and what it looks like now I've moved out!)
I put "1st choice Tennis Courts" in the 'any other comments' box, but I didn't specify 'renovated'. What are the unrenovated rooms like? Also, are they all single rooms, and did you use the 'Meal Plan' scheme?
Reply 25
Lupin Loopy
I put "1st choice Tennis Courts" in the 'any other comments' box, but I didn't specify 'renovated'. What are the unrenovated rooms like? Also, are they all single rooms, and did you use the 'Meal Plan' scheme?

I don't think it'll be worth going for the meal plan, to be honest. Normally you would just cross the road over to Mason Hall and eat there. Next year you will have to walk right over to the other side of the Vale and eat at the newly-renovated Shackleton Hall as they're centralising the catering services for all halls of residence there. You can also guarantee the food there will be just as shyte as Mason Hall! I was in Mason Hall and I spent about as much as self-catering people in having to buy my own food on those many occasions where they cook you something that truly is inedible.
Reply 26
muncrun
You can also guarantee the food there will be just as shyte as Mason Hall! I was in Mason Hall and I spent about as much as self-catering people in having to buy my own food on those many occasions where they cook you something that truly is inedible.

Was it really that bad?! At Manor House, the food wasn't great, but not awful either.
Reply 27
Nylex
Was it really that bad?! At Manor House, the food wasn't great, but not awful either.

To be fair the breakfasts weren't that bad. It was dinners that you had to worry about. Every piece of meat you're given looks like it's been steamed off a rotting carcass.
Reply 28
muncrun
To be fair the breakfasts weren't that bad. It was dinners that you had to worry about. Every piece of meat you're given looks like it's been steamed off a rotting carcass.

Yuck. I never went to breakfast at Manor House, though someone told me, "you're not missing much".
Reply 29
I'd also like to know why I paid about £100 a week for my accommodation with two meals a day, while everyone I know in halls at other unis are paying between £70-80 and getting three meals a day. And they say it's good food too. :mad:
Reply 30
I'm coming to do Computer Science! I've put down self catering with shared facilities (too expensive 4 on-suite).

BTW - is the night life in Bham all its cracked up 2 b? I'm hoping it is - thats the only reason I'm goin uni! lol. :rolleyes:
Reply 31
Hopefully doing medicine at birmingham in september, for accomadation I put down self catered en suit.
Reply 32
hey im going to hopefully *fingers crossed* go 2 birmingham to study medieval and modern history. i put down self catered en suite. i want elgar court.. i figured a few extra hundreds on the debt wont matter! :smile:
Reply 33
Welcome to UK-L Fairy Cake. Heh, I didn't realise there were so many of you coming to Bham next year :smile:.
Nylex
Welcome to UK-L Fairy Cake. Heh, I didn't realise there were so many of you coming to Bham next year :smile:.

hey - do you use the Birmingham forum much?
Reply 35
John Paul Jones
hey - do you use the Birmingham forum much?

Nope, it's pretty dead there.
Reply 36
looks like an invasion of freshers! any1 been 2 an open day?
Nylex
Nope, it's pretty dead there.

lol true, i posted there and it took about 8 hours for a reply
Reply 38
John Paul Jones
lol true, i posted there and it took about 8 hours for a reply

I found someone there on my course, though I don't really know her that well.
Finally I've managed to register - you wouldn't believe the hassle I went through! I've only just found this forum now the exams are over - phew!

I've put Bham down as my 1st choice for Natural Sciences - I haven't seen one so far on here. Are they few and far between? I'm also interested in Medicine should I surprise myself in the 1st year or a shock A-Level outcome... (i have the option to transfer into 2nd year med course if i get a 1st off the NatSci course as long as the modules i've done are appropriate).

I also use MSN to tell me when I have e-mail and use Messenger - anybody MSN engaged? My hotmail address is [email protected] :tongue:

Latest