The Student Room Group

HELP!! I think I'm stuck in a hopeless situation (changing course and funding)

I have just this september started my second year at Salford university, and despite registering as a second year, getting my student finance approved as a second year, I am patently not a second year.
Turns out I did not pass a module on year one meaning I was unable to move onto year two, my dilemma is as such:
If I redo the one module I failed it will mean being a part time student, unable to receive funding for living costs,theres no way I can afford to live in Manchester without a student loan.

However, my request to transfer was denied due to too many people on the courses wanted to swap to, and now must drop out and wait until next year to reapply for this course, which would be fine, if not for the fact that I would be out a years funding and unsure if I could save up the amount needed in this coming year.

Please help! I am scared I have completely ruined my chances of getting a degree! Is there NOTHING out there to help part time students to live?
If it's just the one module, check with your uni if you can do it while doing your second year. I don't quite understand what you mean by transfer-to another course? As a part time student you could get a job to support yourself but may have to move into shared private accommodation rather than live in student accommodation which tends to be more expensive.
As a part time student, you may be entitled to benefits if you can't get a job / are on a low income. But you'd be expected to give up your course to attend courses and possibly if you get a job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending