The Student Room Group

UK vs. US university costs for international students?

I am a junior in an American high school meaning that it is my third year of high school, one year before I apply to college. I am interested in applying to Oxford University, and I want to know the comparative total cost of attending school at Oxford as an international student compared to an elite American college like Stanford.

My brother attends school at Stanford, and his tuition is around 43,000 US dollars annually. Adding in room and board, the annual cost is 61,000 US dollars. On Oxford's website, they list the cost of undergraduate tuition for international students, but I have heard that different subjects have different tuition costs. I want to study law, does anyone know what the tuition for law undergraduate is? Also, is there a special college fee for international students, or any other special fees? Is it true that Oxford offers one year of accommodations in a college, and students must find their own living places in the following years? If that is the case, how would the cost of living compare to the cost of living at Stanford University?

I know that the cost of tuition is lower at Oxford, but there are hidden costs that I am unaware of about studying abroad as an international student. Those are the details I'm trying to glean here. If anyone could give me a final: International undergraduate total cost at Oxford would be about _______________, or compare it to the 61,000 dollar cost at Stanford, that would be great!
The law tuition fee is £15,295. The college fee is £7,135. Oxford estimates that students will need between £970 and £1,433 per month for accommodation and general living costs, depending on your college and style of living. All colleges guarantee accommodation for the first year, some provide accommodation for all three years. College accommodation is cheaper than renting privately in the city, so it would probably be sensible to apply to a college which does guarantee accommodation for all three years.

Oxford is going to cost roughly $53,000 per year.
Original post by cheescake22
I am a junior in an American high school meaning that it is my third year of high school, one year before I apply to college. I am interested in applying to Oxford University, and I want to know the comparative total cost of attending school at Oxford as an international student compared to an elite American college like Stanford.

My brother attends school at Stanford, and his tuition is around 43,000 US dollars annually. Adding in room and board, the annual cost is 61,000 US dollars. On Oxford's website, they list the cost of undergraduate tuition for international students, but I have heard that different subjects have different tuition costs. I want to study law, does anyone know what the tuition for law undergraduate is? Also, is there a special college fee for international students, or any other special fees? Is it true that Oxford offers one year of accommodations in a college, and students must find their own living places in the following years? If that is the case, how would the cost of living compare to the cost of living at Stanford University?

I know that the cost of tuition is lower at Oxford, but there are hidden costs that I am unaware of about studying abroad as an international student. Those are the details I'm trying to glean here. If anyone could give me a final: International undergraduate total cost at Oxford would be about _______________, or compare it to the 61,000 dollar cost at Stanford, that would be great!

Also make sure that an UK law degree is consistent with where you want to go in your career - it might not be sufficient for the bar exam in the US.
Reply 3
Original post by AnonymousPenguin
Also make sure that an UK law degree is consistent with where you want to go in your career - it might not be sufficient for the bar exam in the US.

Thank you, I am not planning on taking the bar exam straight out of Oxford, I would instead go to a law school in America and then take the exam.
Thank you, I am not planning on taking the bar exam straight out of Oxford, I would instead go to a law school in America and then take the exam.

Well just make sure that a BA (law) will suffice as far as pre-requisite requirements for a JD go. I am not a lawyer, but I know that getting onto a MD with a UK BA would be nigh on impossible.
Reply 5
Well just make sure that a BA (law) will suffice as far as pre-requisite requirements for a JD go. I am not a lawyer, but I know that getting onto a MD with a UK BA would be nigh on impossible.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. I've heard that American Law schools pretty much look only at LSAT scores and grades when evaluating applicants, so why would going to Oxford for undergraduate versus Stanford undergraduate, for example, put me at a disadvantage?
I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. I've heard that American Law schools pretty much look only at LSAT scores and grades when evaluating applicants, so why would going to Oxford for undergraduate versus Stanford undergraduate, for example, put me at a disadvantage?

As I am saying, I am not a lawyer so can't be too sure, but for medicine you would have to complete a specific pre-med curriculum, which you essentially cannot do with a UK degree. I would imagine pre-law is a thing to an extent as well - all I am saying, make sure you know what you are doing and research these things before you make a decision. E-mail the admissions teams at US law schools and ask.
As I am saying, I am not a lawyer so can't be too sure, but for medicine you would have to complete a specific pre-med curriculum, which you essentially cannot do with a UK degree. I would imagine pre-law is a thing to an extent as well - all I am saying, make sure you know what you are doing and research these things before you make a decision. E-mail the admissions teams at US law schools and ask.

No you don’t. And people who want to do a JD don't have to do pre-law either. A British LLB (or BA in Jurisprudence) is fine for the New York and California bars.

I answered the OP's question but AnonymousPenguin has got all the rep. I despair of this forum sometimes.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Snufkin
I answered the OP's question but AnonymousPenguin has got all the rep. I despair of this forum sometimes.

Repped :wink:
Reply 9

I know this is irrelavant ut what state are you from?
Reply 10
Original post by Snufkin
The law tuition fee is £15,295. The college fee is £7,135. Oxford estimates that students will need between £970 and £1,433 per month for accommodation and general living costs, depending on your college and style of living. All colleges guarantee accommodation for the first year, some provide accommodation for all three years. College accommodation is cheaper than renting privately in the city, so it would probably be sensible to apply to a college which does guarantee accommodation for all three years.

Oxford is going to cost roughly $53,000 per year.

College fees are extortionate (unless it covers accommodation).
Original post by Snufkin
No you don’t.

Wait a second, there's a set of pre-reqs you have to have to apply to US med schools. Why is pre-med not an appropriate way to describe it?
Reply 12
Original post by Josb
College fees are extortionate (unless it covers accommodation).

No it doesn't cover accommodation it's for academic facilities (i.e. tutorials, etc). But it's only charged to Internationals not Home/EU students.

It's the same at Cambridge (although fees vary a bit by college : currently between £5,400 and £7,720 per year).
(edited 8 years ago)
Wait a second, there's a set of pre-reqs you have to have to apply to US med schools. Why is pre-med not an appropriate way to describe it?

Are you talking about the basic science courses that most med schools expect or pre-med? You don't need to be pre-med; you don't even need a science major, the humanities are perfectly acceptable - even encouraged. Most US med schools do require basic courses in biology, chemistry etc but you could easily do these as part of your general requirements. Same goes for pre-law.
Do have a look at other UK universities too - there are plenty of academically excellent universities that aren't Oxford or Cambridge, and can often work out cheaper (no college fees!)

As a starting point, have a look at the Russell Group (broadly equivalent to the Ivy League) and others such as St Andrews (very popular with Americans) and Bath.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending