The Student Room Group

Help me- feeling down about the fact I can't step out my house to hand out CVs

As title....

I have a long history of depression and anxiety. In process of moving over to be with fiancée (she lives other end of country- we met while at uni), need to support her, more for the sake of our relationship, as She just started renting a place.

I'm now sat in my suit, ready to go out and hand out my CVs in Manchester, however, my social anxiety is getting in the way, im scared I'll just chicken out last minute. I'm a failure....

She'll be disappointed in me if I don't get these all handed out by end of day, to top it off I'm not organised. I don't know which firms to target, firstly because I'm anxious, and not confident and secondly don't feel my exp offers much. So much for my university education.

SA is ruining my life......help!??

Inlaws are also very pushy and expectant of me. Relations with mother are rocky because she doest want me to move.
You don't have to physically hand out CVs. You can always look for jobs online.
Remind yourself that you are not at fault for anything, you have done nothing wrong, your intentions are good. It is the mental illness (anxiety) that is causing you problems...not you, not yourself.

Just keep putting a boundary around the negativity, dividing it from your self, then it won't have such control over you and you won't feel shame or guilt as if it were a concrete part of you....which it isn't.

You sound like a nice person that is trying to make things work, so keep trying and practice interior self talk when you are anxious. I call it praying...but others may call it self-talk, mindfulness etcetc...remind yourself about your good intentions and the good you are striving for, hold the negativity back and acknowledge it is not your doing nor is it part of you.

Good luck and go hand out some CV's, what's the worst that could happen...you might even get a job! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by foundationmedic
Remind yourself that you are not at fault for anything, you have done nothing wrong, your intentions are good. It is the mental illness (anxiety) that is causing you problems...not you, not yourself.

Just keep putting a boundary around the negativity, dividing it from your self, then it won't have such control over you and you won't feel shame or guilt as if it were a concrete part of you....which it isn't.

You sound like a nice person that is trying to make things work, so keep trying and practice interior self talk when you are anxious. I call it praying...but others may call it self-talk, mindfulness etcetc...remind yourself about your good intentions and the good you are striving for, hold the negativity back and acknowledge it is not your doing nor is it part of you.

Good luck and go hand out some CV's, what's the worst that could happen...you might even get a job! :smile:

Went out to MediaCity UK eventually, looked about a bit, went into the Lowry Centre (after having panicked at the prospect of going into the BBC Headquarters (even though I'm a creative arts/media graduate). Looked around the Lowry kind of glaring in shop windows- saw a few signs for vacancies, but most specified retail experience of which I have none. I panicked and didn't even hand in one cv :/ feel like a failure, everyone will be so cross with me.

After sitting in Burger King all depressed and down, I dragged my sorry *** back to the tram; for the commute to other side of Manchester, Currently sat drinking alcohol to numb the fact I'm a complete let down to people.

Think my fiancée will expect me to have handed stuff out, let alone not considering the in laws. Letting her down, I gotta get work so I can move over quicker and support her.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by shawn_o1
You don't have to physically hand out CVs. You can always look for jobs online.

Have been emailing firms specutively and sending out cvs that way, never really get a response.
Original post by royal1990
Have been emailing firms specutively and sending out cvs that way, never really get a response.

Are there any graduate schemes you could try for? Getting a job is a difficult thing on its own, handing out cvs might help but just as likely might not. Perhaps try and making a longer term plan with your fiancee, or visit a careers service if ones available you. Either way I'm sure they'll give you better advice than me as I'm in a similar position, best of luck!
Sounds like you are trapped in that freaky place where you imagine everyone can see that you don't belong, like that first day at uni. In reality nobody realises that you are new, jobless or awkward. You are hiding out in pubs or Burger King trying to avoid the pressing situation and winding yourself up and that's completely understandable.
Why not go into some temp agencies, say that you are new to the area and would like a chat about possible vacancies for placements or temp work? You have to believe that these companies are WAITING for people like you because they want to place you so that they earn money.
THEY NEED YOU.
You could gain confidence from volunteer work. You can contact your uni for advice too ... most will help out after you graduate!
Next: look at yourself and what you have said about yourself on here. Stop being so critical. You actually sound like a top bloke who is keen to embrace responsibility. You are no loser, you sound like a graduate who is a bit shy, like everyone else. You are a champion and those employers are waiting for you, so go get 'em.
Original post by royal1990

Have you tired getting in touch with a job agency?

They will essentially hand out your CV for you.
Reply 8
I see you concured the fear and handed your CV's out. But for future reference reherse what your going to say infront of a mirror or with a friend until it's smooth(the fear of stuttering might be the cause of your anxiety).Cater your CV to the jobs your specficially applying for, in your case Media. I understand your pain as I'm a Media myself lol, experience is much more important then qualifications in this field. So state any media related experience you have and what skills you've gained from it. By the way applying for jobs online is a standard now espically in Media. A good website that has constant vaccines is www.Indeed.com, give it a go good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest