The Student Room Group

Mature Students 2016 University Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Doubleyuu
Hey everyone!

What are you currently studying/have studied: previously studied Sports Rehabilitation
Which universities are you applying to: University of Brighton, Kings College, St.George (tooting) Birmingham
Which course(s) do you want to do: Physiotherapy (Pre-reg)
Any other info you feel like sharing: i'll be 26/27 if i get a place at Uni next year, I have an interview at Brighton on the 18th Nov so just curious to see if anyone else has applied for Physio and if they too have an interview at Brighton?

I'm applying for Physio in a matter of days too but the Bsc not Msc :smile: I have a previous degree but its in English haha so not relevant like yours!
I'll be 24 starting :smile: I am considering St. George but the undergrad one! trying to pick my last choice but at the moment I'm going with Cardiff, UWE, Oxford Brookes, Bournemouth and then probably St. George. Good luck!
Hi 4.36am couldn't sleep so been working on my personal statement.

I am 51 and I applying to do PGDE primary in Scotland.

Going to apply for UHI as just along the road might apply for Aberdeen but really want to stay at home.

Scary scary but very very excited.
Reply 42
Original post by darkisle28
Hi 4.36am couldn't sleep so been working on my personal statement.

I am 51 and I applying to do PGDE primary in Scotland.

Going to apply for UHI as just along the road might apply for Aberdeen but really want to stay at home.

Scary scary but very very excited.

Well Good Luck. People like you inspire and a whole lot of other people who love learning.
Reply 43
Original post by QuiltyT
What are you currently studying/have studied: Access to Psychology
Which universities are you applying to:Reading
Which course(s) do you want to do: Speech and Language Therapy
Any other info you feel like sharing: I'm 47 and panicking slightly about my ability to study after all these years! I am currently waiting (impatiently) to discover if I will be called to interview at Reading.

Good Luck.
Original post by bebe10
Well Good Luck. People like you inspire and a whole lot of other people who love learning.

Thank you
Original post by moonandstars
I'm applying for Physio in a matter of days too but the Bsc not Msc :smile: I have a previous degree but its in English haha so not relevant like yours!
I'll be 24 starting :smile: I am considering St. George but the undergrad one! trying to pick my last choice but at the moment I'm going with Cardiff, UWE, Oxford Brookes, Bournemouth and then probably St. George. Good luck!

ahh all the best with the application and potential interviews i've been accepted in to Brighton so can't wait for my studies to start in February :h::h:
Reply 46
Original post by pratyushpranav4
Hi, Ive applied as an affiliated undergraduate to St Edmunds College Cambridge for HSPS.
Currently doing a BA in History for delhi university in india. I was wondering if anyone here has applied to St. Edmunds and gotten interview invite?

Hi! Not St Edmunds, but I have an interview at Wolfson college for HSPS tomorrow. You had any news yet?
Original post by aisja
Hi! Not St Edmunds, but I have an interview at Wolfson college for HSPS tomorrow. You had any news yet?

Hi,
yeah have a Skype interview on friday! Im freaking out because i dunno what they'll ask in a single interview.
Original post by aisja

also best of luck!
What are you currently studying/have studied: Bachelors of Law (LL.B (Hons))
Which universities are you applying to: Newcastle, Durham, Glasgow
Which course(s) do you want to do: Medicine or Dentistry
Any other info you feel like sharing: I'm 20, turning 21 on boxing day this year. I am currently adding weight to my CV by volunteering at the local hospital and ambulance service, however, I am not too decided about which route I would want to take next -but I am aware that I would love to pursue a career in healthcare once I've discovered if it is really for me. Aiming for 2017 applications (which means I apply before Sept 2016). Am currently working out if I am right for a career in law or banking and if I should just remain in that, and have two full time job interviews coming up -one for Barclays and the other for a law firm-would try to decide by next year so I would be sure when I finally make the transition.
Hi everyone👋

I'm new to this but I can't sleep and over thinking things. And was looking for a mature student section.
I'll start by giving you a little background info concerning my ****-uation....So I'm 26yrs old started uni at the age of 22-23yrs young! I was under the impression that I was finishing uni this year, but after speaking to the adminstration team of my course I have come to learn that I will be finishing in 2017! I'll start by saying when I heard the news I throw up😷 AND I never throw up! I failed my second yr due to personal issues and repeated the year. I was doing so well, life was great and got promoted at work and I guess that's when it went down hill. I have only accumulated 135 credits and I need 225 credits to get my degree.I am extremely disappointed and frustrated with myself. I've always found uni hard and at times I feel like I'm getting the hang of things and sometimes I'm just lost. All my friends have graduated and have descent jobs and I'm still here trying to get life in order. I come from a very academic family and ive told EVERYONE that I'm finishing this summer. I'm 26 and 27 very soon and I'm scared to tell my mother that I'm finishing in 2017, at the age of 28 and not this year! The thought makes me sick....I feel like a failure. I'm the first born out of all my siblings and I'm suppose to be setting an example and my younger siblings are doing better than me. I really want to give up and work! But I know that I can probably pull this off if I work hard, DELETE Instagram, just focus and get my ass in the library. When I do study I get ok marks, I must admit...SO....I just need some advise, word of wisdom to motivate me😔 It's all very stressful and I feel ashamed that I have allowed myself to get to this position. I don't know if the majority of the people in here are younger than me or older, but I don't care I need help. Because I feel like ****!😣Thanks in advance x
Original post by Mz_uneducated
Hi everyone👋

I'm new to this but I can't sleep and over thinking things. And was looking for a mature student section.
I'll start by giving you a little background info concerning my ****-uation....So I'm 26yrs old started uni at the age of 22-23yrs young! I was under the impression that I was finishing uni this year, but after speaking to the adminstration team of my course I have come to learn that I will be finishing in 2017! I'll start by saying when I heard the news I throw up😷 AND I never throw up! I failed my second yr due to personal issues and repeated the year. I was doing so well, life was great and got promoted at work and I guess that's when it went down hill. I have only accumulated 135 credits and I need 225 credits to get my degree.I am extremely disappointed and frustrated with myself. I've always found uni hard and at times I feel like I'm getting the hang of things and sometimes I'm just lost. All my friends have graduated and have descent jobs and I'm still here trying to get life in order. I come from a very academic family and ive told EVERYONE that I'm finishing this summer. I'm 26 and 27 very soon and I'm scared to tell my mother that I'm finishing in 2017, at the age of 28 and not this year! The thought makes me sick....I feel like a failure. I'm the first born out of all my siblings and I'm suppose to be setting an example and my younger siblings are doing better than me. I really want to give up and work! But I know that I can probably pull this off if I work hard, DELETE Instagram, just focus and get my ass in the library. When I do study I get ok marks, I must admit...SO....I just need some advise, word of wisdom to motivate me😔 It's all very stressful and I feel ashamed that I have allowed myself to get to this position. I don't know if the majority of the people in here are younger than me or older, but I don't care I need help. Because I feel like ****!😣Thanks in advance x

You're not old, not even close. There are thousands of students older than 28 who haven't even started their degree yet. Deleting Instagram sounds like a very good idea - procrastination is the enemy. Perhaps also consider cutting the amount of hours you work (if you can afford to).

Little confused about the 225 credits business, I thought a degree was 360 credits (or 180 ECTS).
Original post by Mz_uneducated
Hi everyone👋

Hey, calm down! This is a fixable situation - don't stress.

First of all, 28 is not 'old' at all. I have a friend on one of the Access courses who is 45 - she'll be almost 50 when she finishes. In fact, I'd say a good half of the people on my course are around that age or above.

If what I'm gaging is correct (that you're worrying about not graduating from university this year), 28 is a perfectly fine age to graduate. I'll be 24 - 25 (depending on if I take a year abroad! :biggrin: ) by the time I (hopefully!) do.

Also, don't base your own successes on other peoples - that never leads to good things. Everyone works at their own pace - you want to graduate, so isn't it better that you wait /one/ year (very little in the large scheme of things) than give up now and never graduate?

Academic success is not the only thing to be admired. Obviously, I'm 20 and I'm not in university yet, but that isn't the only determining factor in whether I'm a good influence on my younger sibling. I try to do it in so many other ways - teaching him about equality, respecting others, even related to education, I try to emphasize a love of learning to him, achievement regardless.

Your younger siblings will admire you for a lot more than just your academic ability. Plus - you know what is truly admirable? Having a set-back and instead of giving up, learning from your mistakes and going back at it full-force!

On the Instagram front - if you think it will help, delete it. I used to have Tumblr but deleted it because it did distract from work. When you're doing work, site blockers are your friend if you feel like you can't give it up entirely! :biggrin:

If you're struggling with distractions, set apart a couple of hours of the day where you have to focus on work entirely. Give yourself a schedueled break every once and a while, but don't use this to go on social media - just use it to unwind, get a drink, stretch your legs, give your mind a five minute rest. Those couple of hours (the amount depending on workload and time availability) will be your 'work hours' - no Instagram or anything!

At the same time, make sure to give yourself the opposite - every day, have a cut-off point (so, on college nights, I aim to get to sleep at midnight, so I refuse to do any work past ten). Have time to do what you want, go on Instagram! That way, when you're hard at work, you know you have that time set aside where you can do your own stuff.

Good luck! :biggrin: I'm rooting for you!
Awwww thank you! X
Reply 55
I remember it was this time two years ago I sent mine off, two years later I''m crying over my semester two workload, having just completed semester 1 of year two :smile:. I remember my first offer the immense feeling of relief, but also, right focus, get the grades. Good luck university if you haven't been is a great experience :smile:.
Good luck with your application!

Posted from TSR Mobile
What are you currently studying/have studied: AAT level 3
Which universities are you applying to: have a conditional offer from Salford
Which course(s) do you want to do: accounting and finance
Any other info you feel like sharing: I'm 35 and looking forward to going to university in September 2016 👍
What are you currently studying/have studied: I have a Master's degree in Pharmacy.
Which universities are you applying to: Looking at different options now, have not applied yet.
Which course(s) do you want to do: Either a degree in Computer Science or Japanese.
Any other info you feel like sharing: I am 45 and would like to pursue a different career as I have lost passion for what I am doing now. Computer Science and Japanese are my passions now.
Reply 59
What are you currently studying/have studied: Access to Humanities
Which universities are you applying to: Sheffield (got an offer), SOAS, Oxford Brookes, St John York, Manchester
Which course(s) do you want to do: Japanese Studies
Any other info you feel like sharing: I'm 29, I'll be 30 when we start. I applied with only my Access course on my UCAS application (as previous education, even though i have a fair amount) and sent my application off on the last week before holidays. I got my first offer on Monday (4th) before I even start back... so that was really surprising lol. As a somewhat more old school person I was surprised by how relevant the Access courses were. Because the Access to Humanities includes with English and Math they accepted the course as the only entry qualification in lieu of GCSE's in said subjects. Just something worth thinking about...
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending