The Student Room Group

Mature Students 2016 University Applicants

Scroll to see replies

What are you currently studying/have studied:
I completed the International Baccalauareate in 2013

Which universities are you applying to: RVC, University of Bristol, Queen Marys and University of Nottingham

Which course(s) do you want to do: MSCi in wild animal biology/zoology

Any other info you feel like sharing
I'm almost 21, had to take a gap year for personal reasons which turned into gap years as I got sucked into the black hole which is retail management. I'm really looking forward to starting university although I'm still a tad nervous of my slightly late start (yes I know I only just about qualify as a mature student) and I'm a tad worried about getting back into academics as I haven't done an Access course which could have helped ease me back into studying.
What are you currently studying/have studied: Access to HE: Social Science
Which universities are you applying to: Sheffield (offer), Southampton (offer), Liverpool (offer)
Which course(s) do you want to do: BSc Psychology
So, as we near the UCAS deadline, I thought it'd be cool to have a thread related to offers. So, comment below the universities and courses you've recieved offers from so far - have a little boast! :biggrin:

For me - it was only sent off today, so no offers, just an acknowledgement from Edinburgh. :biggrin:
Reply 63
What are you currently studying/have studied: CertHE In Humanities.
Which universities are you applying to: Leeds, Manchester, Sheffield, UCLAN, SOAS.
Which course(s) do you want to do: Japanese.
Any other info you feel like sharing: I'm 21 years old, and after having studied sciences in college I decided against pursuing a degree in that field, as while I enjoy it, it just wasn't something I felt motivated enough to commit to. So now I'm studying a CertHE in Humanities with the aims of studying Japanese to work in either translation or international politics.
Original post by Darkmad
What are you currently studying/have studied: CertHE In Humanities.
Which universities are you applying to: Leeds, Manchester, Sheffield, UCLAN, SOAS.
Which course(s) do you want to do: Japanese.
Any other info you feel like sharing: I'm 21 years old, and after having studied sciences in college I decided against pursuing a degree in that field, as while I enjoy it, it just wasn't something I felt motivated enough to commit to. So now I'm studying a CertHE in Humanities with the aims of studying Japanese to work in either translation or international politics.

Oooh hello, where are you doing your CertHE?
Reply 65
What are you currently studying/have studied: BA (Hons) English at Durham University
Which universities are you applying to: King's, LSE, Cambridge, Durham and UCL
Which course(s) do you want to do: Law
Any other info you feel like sharing: I'm 21
Reply 66
Original post by acupofgreentea
So, as we near the UCAS deadline, I thought it'd be cool to have a thread related to offers. So, comment below the universities and courses you've recieved offers from so far - have a little boast! :biggrin:

For me - it was only sent off today, so no offers, just an acknowledgement from Edinburgh. :biggrin:

Pretty happy so far 3/5 (still waiting for Leeds and York)

I have conditional offers from Manchester, Nottingham and Newcastle for English Language and Literature!
Original post by JPO92
Pretty happy so far 3/5 (still waiting for Leeds and York)

I have conditional offers from Manchester, Nottingham and Newcastle for English Language and Literature!

That's brilliant! My friend just got an offer for English from Manchester, too (different combination, though)! :biggrin: Congratulations. What are you hoping to firm?

What qualification did you do, if you don't mind me asking?
What are you currently studying/have studied: Working currently, finished A-Levels far to long ago!
Which universities are you applying to: Bournemouth/Portsmouth/Sheffield Hallam/ Hertfordshire/Birmingham
Which course(s) do you want to do: Accounting and Finance
Any other info you feel like sharing: I'm 26, will be 27 when starting! Better late then never, finally got my goal in life and missed out HE when I was younger.

Also, I received an unconditional from Bournemouth 5 days ago!
Reply 69
That's brilliant! My friend just got an offer for English from Manchester, too (different combination, though)! :biggrin: Congratulations. What are you hoping to firm?

What qualification did you do, if you don't mind me asking?

Thank you! :smile: Congrats to your friend!

I'm doing Access HE Humanities and Social Sciences.

I'm still very much unsure which to choose. I'm thinking Newcastle as firm and Manchester as insurance, but even then, I'm liking the sound of Manchester more at the moment. Anyway, I'm very unsure at the moment haha
I've applied for History and Politics, at Manchester, Warwick, LSE, Oxford and Edinburgh. Ridiculously happy cause so far have offers from the first four.

How's everyone else found being a 'mature' student? It's cool hearing from others, cause we are few and far between!
Reply 71
I have applied for Speech and Language Therapy at Reading, and was chuffed to receive a conditional offer. The grades they want are pretty high, but I guess that's always going to be the case on a funded course. Head down!
Original post by JPO92
Thank you! :smile: Congrats to your friend!

I'm doing Access HE Humanities and Social Sciences.

I'm still very much unsure which to choose. I'm thinking Newcastle as firm and Manchester as insurance, but even then, I'm liking the sound of Manchester more at the moment. Anyway, I'm very unsure at the moment haha

Ah, that's brilliant! I'm on Access to HE: Social Science and I was a little worried applying to all redbricks was a little too ambitious ... :colondollar: Glad to see it hasn't stopped you!

To be honest, I don't know whether you've been, but I can tell you Manchester is an amazing place - it's my favourite city. Although I know quite a few people from Newcastle and they say that's a great city, too - both universities are brilliant, so I can see why you're stuck! Did you have to go to an interview for Manchester? According to UCAS, it's the only one of my choices that may ask for one.

But hey, you've still got a couple of months to decide! At the moment, I plan on insuring Manchester, should I hopefully get an offer. :colondollar: But congratulations, seriously!

Original post by MouseyBrown
I've applied for History and Politics, at Manchester, Warwick, LSE, Oxford and Edinburgh. Ridiculously happy cause so far have offers from the first four.

How's everyone else found being a 'mature' student? It's cool hearing from others, cause we are few and far between!

Wow! Oxford! That's amazing. I'm going to assume that's what you're firming, then? :biggrin: All of them are amazing, actually - congrats!

I'm interested to hear about Warwick - do you mind me asking what qualification you applied with? Warwick's my very preferred choice! :biggrin: I'm applying to Sociology and Politics, so not to disimilar to you, either.

Original post by QuiltyT
I have applied for Speech and Language Therapy at Reading, and was chuffed to receive a conditional offer. The grades they want are pretty high, but I guess that's always going to be the case on a funded course. Head down!

Seriously? Congrats! Yeah, the NHS funding courses are much harder to get onto, from what I've heard, so well done! Plus Reading's quite an established university, anyway. :biggrin: What grades have they asked for?
Reply 73
Ah, that's brilliant! I'm on Access to HE: Social Science and I was a little worried applying to all redbricks was a little too ambitious ... :colondollar: Glad to see it hasn't stopped you!

To be honest, I don't know whether you've been, but I can tell you Manchester is an amazing place - it's my favourite city. Although I know quite a few people from Newcastle and they say that's a great city, too - both universities are brilliant, so I can see why you're stuck! Did you have to go to an interview for Manchester? According to UCAS, it's the only one of my choices that may ask for one.

But hey, you've still got a couple of months to decide! At the moment, I plan on insuring Manchester, should I hopefully get an offer. :colondollar: But congratulations, seriously!

Wow! Oxford! That's amazing. I'm going to assume that's what you're firming, then? :biggrin: All of them are amazing, actually - congrats!

I'm interested to hear about Warwick - do you mind me asking what qualification you applied with? Warwick's my very preferred choice! :biggrin: I'm applying to Sociology and Politics, so not to disimilar to you, either.

Seriously? Congrats! Yeah, the NHS funding courses are much harder to get onto, from what I've heard, so well done! Plus Reading's quite an established university, anyway. :biggrin: What grades have they asked for?

Haha I have been to Manchester before, it's a nice place, I'm going to an offer holder day in March I think it is?

Pretty happy that they didn't ask me in for interview, just gave me an offer! :biggrin:

I hope you get your offers!
Reply 74
Original post by MouseyBrown

Clever, clever person. I was too intimidated to apply to Oxford or Cambridge. I don't think I'm anything special, but I work hard. I'd sooner leave the real genius pupils to those kind of establishments!

Well done! :smile:
AX

I resat everything - did ten IGCSEs and am halfway through four A levels. Been going at it full time though.

The politics modules looked really cool at Warwick, and the department (in fact the whole uni) seems to come out really well in ranking tables etc, if that means anything.

Also I'd say don't worry if you haven't heard anything...they took a month to get back to me, while other people were getting offers literally in 24 hours. I think they take a little longer to look over mature applications.

Good luck with it!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JPO92
Clever, clever person. I was too intimidated to apply to Oxford or Cambridge. I don't think I'm anything special, but I work hard. I'd sooner leave the real genius pupils to those kind of establishments!

Well done! :smile:

Ha, well thanks, but it honestly feels more like hard work than anything 'special'. Still can't quite believe it to be honest.

Where did you apply for?
Reply 77

Thank you! I'm currently doing Access to Psychology, and they want 40 credits at distinction. As my modules are in blocks of 9 credits that basically means all 45 at distinction. No pressure there! I'm on track so far, but still a long way to go.

I hope you don't have to wait too long to hear. Will you have to interview?
I am applying for Mathematics and Physics BSc at Northumbria, University of Liverpool, Lincoln, Coventry and York.

For Liverpool and York I have put for a foundation year as I don't have the grades so don't expect to get in without one. If I don't get in I am going to do an access to HE course in sciences next year at my local college instead.

I wish you all the best luck in applying. I have not heard back from any yet.

Edit: Northumbria have offered a place with the condition of a foundation year.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 79
I've applied for biomedical sciences and had offers from Northumbria and Sunderland. I've picked Sunderland as my firm choice and they only want an overall pass on my access to health course I'm studying on at the moment.

Congratulations to everyone!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending