The Student Room Group

Mature Students 2016 University Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chipmyster
What are you currently studying/have studied: Working currently, finished A-Levels far to long ago!
Which universities are you applying to: Bournemouth/Portsmouth/Sheffield Hallam/ Hertfordshire/Birmingham
Which course(s) do you want to do: Accounting and Finance
Any other info you feel like sharing: I'm 26, will be 27 when starting! Better late then never, finally got my goal in life and missed out HE when I was younger.

Also, I received an unconditional from Bournemouth 5 days ago!

Hey Chipmyster!

Congratulations on the offer! I'm Chris and I am an ambassador studying Marketing at Bournemouth University.

Feel free to join us on the Bournemouth Uni forums if you had any questions!

Thanks

Chris :biggrin:
Reply 81
What are you currently studying/have studied: Access to Science. Completed last year with 45 distinctions.
Which universities are you applying to: Lincoln, Durham, Hertfordshire and Manchester.
Which course(s) do you want to do: Pharmacy MPharm
Any other info you feel like sharing: I'm 25. Will be 26 when I start and 31 when I quality! Withdrew from the offer I held for this year to pursue pharmacy. So hopefully I made the right decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What are you currently studying/have studied: PGcert in Science Communication at UWE and BSc (hons) Clinical Photography at University of Westminster

Which universities are you applying to: Warwick (interview), Barts/QMUL (interview), Newcastle (in limbo) + Kings who already rejected me

Which course(s) do you want to do: Graduate Entry Medicine

Any other info you feel like sharing: I worked between leaving school and starting uni at 24 and I will be 33 by the time I graduate if I get in this year. I had a child at 22 and was a single parent throughout undergrad, hoping that I can balance the family/work/study juggling act for another 4 years!
What are you currently studying/have studied: Access to HE Diploma: Science
Which universities are you applying to: KCL (lol what was I thinking), Bristol, Exeter, Sussex and Leicester
Which course(s) do you want to do: (Medical) Neuroscience
Any other info you feel like sharing: Sometimes when I laugh too hard a little bit of wee comes out.
Original post by Lc89ne
I've applied for biomedical sciences and had offers from Northumbria and Sunderland. I've picked Sunderland as my firm choice and they only want an overall pass on my access to health course I'm studying on at the moment.

Congratulations to everyone!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Great to hear you have chosen The University of Sunderland as your firm choice!

Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions about the student life at Sunderland.

Regards, Tanita
Reply 85
Original post by MouseyBrown
Ha, well thanks, but it honestly feels more like hard work than anything 'special'. Still can't quite believe it to be honest.

Where did you apply for?

Be proud, sounds like you've earned it.

I applied to Newcastle, Leeds, Manchester, York and Nottingham. I've got offers from Newcastle, Manchester and Nottingham, waiting on the last two!
Original post by CBowditch
Hey Chipmyster!

Congratulations on the offer! I'm Chris and I am an ambassador studying Marketing at Bournemouth University.

Feel free to join us on the Bournemouth Uni forums if you had any questions!

Thanks

Chris :biggrin:

Hi Chris,

Thank you very much! I have taken to the Bournemouth forums already and was lucky enough to happen across a 2nd year Accounting and Finance student who was offering help!

So far he has provided some really great information, I am thinking Bournemouth will be the Uni I choose so I am looking forward to joining a lot :-)

Dan
Original post by Snufkin
Hi mature students, are you applying to university this year? Post and tell us where! :awesome:

What are you currently studying/have studied: HNC Social Care
Which universities are you applying to: Edinburgh
Which course(s) do you want to do: Social Work
Any other info you feel like sharing: Mum of 5, aged 39 (40 at start of course if accepted!!)
I can safely state that since receiving acknowledgement of my application today, I have been filled with complete nervous panic!
Hello,
I am currently studying an Access course, and just sent off my UCAS to do a Counselling Degree(hopefully!)
I am 42 (43 in April) and have 17 year old twins.

what am I doing?!
Hahaha I feel your bewilderment! My eldest is 23, youngest is nearly 3. I literally catch myself now and again thinking ' What am I doing??'
Original post by cpaige21
I am applying for Mathematics and Physics BSc at Northumbria, University of Liverpool, Lincoln, Coventry and York.

For Liverpool and York I have put for a foundation year as I don't have the grades so don't expect to get in without one. If I don't get in I am going to do an access to HE course in sciences next year at my local college instead.

I wish you all the best luck in applying. I have not heard back from any yet.

Edit: Northumbria have offered a place with the condition of a foundation year.

Congratulations on your offer. A foundation year is probably your best option. If you do an Access course, you will need to look for one that offers more maths than the standard Access to Science, but even then, some universities will not regard it as suitable. I did Access to Engineering and am now doing a physics MSci, so it's possible, but you have to pick your universities carefully.
I'm currently doing Access Biomedical Science diploma. I've applied to Liverpool (MBiolSci Genetics and BSc Genetics) Edge Hill (BSc Genetics) and LJMU (BSc Biology). I've got conditional offers from LJMU and Edge Hill so far. I'll be 44 when I start in September.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Veno
What are you currently studying/have studied: Access to Humanities
Which universities are you applying to: Sheffield (got an offer), SOAS, Oxford Brookes, St John York, Manchester
Which course(s) do you want to do: Japanese Studies
Any other info you feel like sharing: I'm 29, I'll be 30 when we start. I applied with only my Access course on my UCAS application (as previous education, even though i have a fair amount) and sent my application off on the last week before holidays. I got my first offer on Monday (4th) before I even start back... so that was really surprising lol. As a somewhat more old school person I was surprised by how relevant the Access courses were. Because the Access to Humanities includes with English and Math they accepted the course as the only entry qualification in lieu of GCSE's in said subjects. Just something worth thinking about...

Original post by Darkmad
What are you currently studying/have studied: CertHE In Humanities.
Which universities are you applying to: Leeds, Manchester, Sheffield, UCLAN, SOAS.
Which course(s) do you want to do: Japanese.
Any other info you feel like sharing: I'm 21 years old, and after having studied sciences in college I decided against pursuing a degree in that field, as while I enjoy it, it just wasn't something I felt motivated enough to commit to. So now I'm studying a CertHE in Humanities with the aims of studying Japanese to work in either translation or international politics.

A big SOAS helloooo to you both.

Lucky for me.. or should I say lucky for you that you're both doing a form of Japanese! Our Japanese department is pretty amazing and was ranked 2nd overall last year by the Guardian. With us being the world's leading institute for the study of Asia, Africa and the Middle East, you'll definitely be getting the knowledge to explore cultural understanding and get a first hand insight into different cultural perspectives alonside students from Japan as well as 130 other countries.

I can go onnnnn and on about the advantages and cool things that happens at SOAS but not everybody applied there on this thread :lolz: So come by and say hello to us our on 2016 SOAS Application Thread where you can ask questions, chat with other applicants, or just say hi! :groovy:
Looking forward to seeing you there!

~Mike
Reply 93
Original post by acupofgreentea
So, as we near the UCAS deadline, I thought it'd be cool to have a thread related to offers. So, comment below the universities and courses you've recieved offers from so far - have a little boast! :biggrin:

For me - it was only sent off today, so no offers, just an acknowledgement from Edinburgh. :biggrin:

Hey! Hopefully you hear from Edinburgh soon, the wait after submitting UCAS is the worst.
I applied way back in October as I've applied to Cambridge and their deadline was the 15th... Got my offer today though! So chuffed to bits about that as I'm pretty confident I can leave my Access course with 45 distinctions.
I also have my insurance offer at SOAS. LSE contacted me on Monday to say I have to sit an admissions assessment, but I'm in two minds about that considering I've got my first 2 choices in place and I'll have an offer holders day in Cambridge shortly after - I left work to study and so I don't know if I can afford to do both :frown:

Just waiting to hear from Durham and Manchester now but I'm happy so far;
Good luck to everyone who's waiting to hear!
What are you currently studying/have studied: Studied A-Level English Lang, English Lit, Classics, Media
Which universities are you applying to: University of Manchester, Manchester Metropolitan University
Which course(s) do you want to do: Japanese Studies/TESOL with Japanese/English with Japanese
Any other info you feel like sharing: I'm 24, currently working full-time for Co-operative Insurance in Manchester (switching to part time should I get into uni), and unfortunately I can't really afford to relocate so staying close to home which is reflected in my uni choices. Hoping this gets me one step closer to my dream of teaching English in Japan :smile:
Reply 95
Hi,

I've seen a few people on here have applied to Sheffield and Leeds, can I ask how long they took to make an offer?

Thanks
What are you currently studying/have studied: Completed a year of BSc Genetics and Molecular Biology (2:1) 2013-14. Have A levels in Biology, Chemistry and Maths.

Which universities are you applying to: Kent, Reading (invited to interview), Brighton (unconditional offer), Kingston, Greenwich (invited to interview).

Which course(s) do you want to do: BSc Chemistry.
Original post by Amethyst44
What are you currently studying/have studied: Completed a year of BSc Genetics and Molecular Biology (2:1) 2013-14. Have A levels in Biology, Chemistry and Maths.

Which universities are you applying to: Kent, Reading (invited to interview), Brighton (unconditional offer), Kingston, Greenwich (invited to interview).

Which course(s) do you want to do: BSc Chemistry.

Hey, just curious, why do you want to do a second BSc?
Original post by Snufkin
Hey, just curious, why do you want to do a second BSc?

I only completed the first year of BSc Genetics, so I have a Certificate of Higher Education. Had to drop out due to personal issues, and am finally able to return to uni! And have decided on chemistry instead, it was always my preferred subject at A level :smile:
Original post by Amethyst44
I only completed the first year of BSc Genetics, so I have a Certificate of Higher Education. Had to drop out due to personal issues, and am finally able to return to uni! And have decided on chemistry instead, it was always my preferred subject at A level :smile:

Oh I see! Good luck!

Quick Reply