The Student Room Group

Training contracts 2018

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kalntax
Huge congrats! If you don't mind me asking, what happened on the failed vac scheme?

Don't mind at all - this place is all about learning!

Basically, I think it went really well (and was told I had done well at the time by training supervisors etc). I actually couldn't really think of areas where anything had gone wrong, and everything seemed a good fit from my side. Unfortunately, they just didn't choose me (roughly 1 in 3 got an offer). Their feedback, although detailed, just highlighted all the good stuff and didn't really focus on what caused me not to get it. Alas.

Anyway, I'm happier with the firm I got in the end!

I have penned some articles which might be of use to all you applicants:

http://www.tcsmashers.com/articles/6-training-contraction-application-mistakes-you-are-making

http://www.tcsmashers.com/articles/why-your-law-degree-might-be-hindering-you

Appreciate any feedback of course!
Reply 21
Hey! Is anyone applying for Olswang VS this year? I applied pretty early on and apparently they reply on a rolling basis for first stage - has anyone had a response?
Hi! Can anyone clarify when the Linklaters 2018 TC deadline is?
On their website it first has the option 'Training Contract 2018 (final-year undergraduates, postgraduate students and graduates)' = deadline 4th Jan 2016.
Below is 'Training Contract 2018 (penultimate-year law undergraduates, final year students, postgraduate students and graduates)' = deadline 30th June 2016.
As a graduate, can I apply for either? My application will be stronger by the summer so I'm hoping to apply for the later wave of applications, if I am indeed right in thinking there are two.
Original post by yeathclif
Hi! Can anyone clarify when the Linklaters 2018 TC deadline is?
On their website it first has the option 'Training Contract 2018 (final-year undergraduates, postgraduate students and graduates)' = deadline 4th Jan 2016.
Below is 'Training Contract 2018 (penultimate-year law undergraduates, final year students, postgraduate students and graduates)' = deadline 30th June 2016.
As a graduate, can I apply for either? My application will be stronger by the summer so I'm hoping to apply for the later wave of applications, if I am indeed right in thinking there are two.

Think the distinction will be earlier deadline if non-law graduate and later one if law graduate but you're better off clarifying with the firm if unsure.
How long have people waited for a response from Clifford Chance re their Watson Glaser results?
Reply 25
Original post by O'Doyle Rules
How long have people waited for a response from Clifford Chance re their Watson Glaser results?

A week for me
Original post by Myles106
Hey! Is anyone applying for Olswang VS this year? I applied pretty early on and apparently they reply on a rolling basis for first stage - has anyone had a response?

Hey, I applied about a month ago and haven't heard yet either (don't know if that's any consolation or not!).
Reply 27
Hey,

Does anyone have any tips on the Baker & McKenzie video interview? Thanks!
Next year I'll be applying for vacation schemes and TCs, but something's on my mind. I only got ABB in my A-Levels, and it gets me thinking that I'm not/won't be seen as good enough when applying for these things. There are some mitigating circumstances for my A2 year and I am on track for a 2:1 despite a couple 2:2 results in my first year. Anyone care to shed some light on it all?
Original post by J-SP
Your 2.2 grades in your first year will hold you back more than your a-levels grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Only a 2:2 in 2/7 modules? If I were to get straight 2:1s across second year?
Reply 30
Any non-EU applicants applying for direct TC? I understand that there are firms that are willing to assist in obtaining work permits but I cannot wrap my head around how thats possible with the stringent labour market test. Since the criteria to award a TC to a non-EU applicant requires a firm to establish that no UK resident could meet the job requirements (i am paraphrasing here) and there is no shortage of applicants, is there really a chance?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by J-SP
Yes - there's a chance.

All they have to do is prove they advertised widely in the UK and that the non-EU applicant has performed to a higher level than the EU applicants. It's fairly easy to do.

There's never a shortage of applicants, but there is a shortage of exceptionally good applicants.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Coming from an ex-recruiter that is comforting, thank you for your reply. I was also wondering whether firms grant any adjustments for international applicants regarding AC? Is there any chance of skyping it (i understand this will pose a problem with the group exercise component) or do I have to be there in person? I'm in Canada btw. I wanted to get your perspective before asking the firms directly.
Reply 32
Original post by J-SP
Most firms will want to see you in person for a TC assessment. It is also a way of assessing your commitment to the UK if you are willing to come over (a lot of firms will say to arrange all your interviews for the same time for instance).

But you can ask, and there is nothing wrong with doing so. You might not be able to do it via a VC/Skype - you might have to go to a local office (New York for instance if they have one there). Ultimately if you have any other assessments apart from an interview then it is likely you will need to visit an office to be assessed. If it is something like a group assessment, you will need to go to the office you are applying to.

A reasonable adjustment might be that you have the interview part or an additional interview first via Skype/VC, see how you get on and if you do well then you're asked to come in for the remainder of the assessments to the office you are applying to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is consistent with what I thought, thanks for clarifying. I hope they can re-imburse me for some of the costs.

Also, I was planning for applying for some VS but not sure about the work permit arrangements that I would need to make if I was able to acquire one. As a Canadian I can come into UK on visitor status for upto 6 months but this would preclude any work related activity. Albeit VS is paid and is formal work experience, it can also be argued that it is a prolonged interview during which you happen to do some work in order for the firm to assess your suitability for a TC. When I spoke to UKBA, they were not sure if I need a work visa visa, particularly due to the short tenure of the VS. I know you're not UKBA but based on your experience did previous international applicants need a work visa in order to do VS?
Reply 33
Original post by J-SP
Most firms will reimburse some costs for an interview. Most I have heard of is £300 if you are travelling from outside of the EU. This is why they advise organising multiple interviews for your trip, as you can then get part reimbursements from each firm. If that is not feasible and you cannot afford the flights/accommodation, it is likely they will have a shorter telephone or VC interview first, check whether you meet some of their requirements, and then invite you to the full interview/assessment centre if you do.

It is unlikely you will be able to secure the right to work for a vacation scheme. The firm could apply for a tier 5 visa for you, but it isn't that common for them to do this and there is a fee. Many firms just can't be bothered with the hassle or extra cost for something that is so short. Tier 5s are usually for longer internship programmes - although I did bring a couple of Aussies across on Tier 5s a few years ago for a 3 week vac scheme.

You won't be able to work on a visitor's visa - no firm in their right mind would allow you to do this, unless they wanted to risk of a hefty fine. You may see it as a prolonged interview but it is a job - you are working (whether you are paid or not) and this is against the terms of your visa.

Thanks for the advice on re-imbursement and you're right about the visitor visa. I was also thinking about tier 5 visa but not in the same way you were. The tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) Visa allows you to get into UK for 2 years and you don't need a firm to sponsor you. There is a cap and its restricted to a few countries (Canada is one of them). Also, I would front the costs, not the firm. Do you think if I convey this to the firms they will allow me to apply. I just don't want to lose out on firms like WLG that hire exclusively from their VS.

Also, would it be feasible to say to firms that also have offices in Canada (like WLG after Gowlings merger) that you want to work for them so that you can act as a liaison for deals that involve the two countries? I don't want them to think that I want to use them as a back route to go back to working in Canada.
Reply 34
Firms like Links have established vac schemes for students who are studying law in India, so I'm sure there must be some way they get them visas? You could perhaps email Links, as a potential applicant, explain your situation and ask what to do. I imagine they could help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Original post by J-SP
They can't stop you from applying but they will probably want you to have secured the visa before you do apply, or to at least have made/started the application.

Are you qualified in Canada? If not, you are unlikely to be able to act as a liaison for deals that involve both countries - and even if you were, it is far more likely that the colleagues in Canada would be dealing with their side of the deal and you will just deal with them, especially as a junior lawyer.

The challenge you have is explaining why you will commit to England as a jurisdiction. Recruiters know all too well it is a quicker (and often cheaper) route to qualify in the UK and then transfer to another jurisdiction and usually earn more money in the long term. They therefore get a lot of international applicants who apply with little motivation beyond it helping them speed up a process, or knowing it will help with their international career. With international firms, although they are open to people moving about from country to country, English offices invest a fortune into training their lawyers, and so want to ensure they get a return on that investment.

Not qualified but am in the process of obtaining qualification (albeit not for atleast another year). Got a 1st from non-RG uni and have a lot of legal and commercial experience (albeit no VS).

Is there anyway I can sell a prospective multi-jurisdictional licence to a firm that has offices in Canada and the UK. Or would it always look like as a possible back-door route into Canadian legal market?

Also, what do recruiters look for to determine whether a person truly wants to work in the UK? I guess it is analogous to when regional firms ask Londoners to demonstrate regional connections. If so, would having a girlfriend in the UK suffice? Also, would you recommend addressing this in the application stage or waiting until you are questioned about it.

Original post by Icarus.
Firms like Links have established vac schemes for students who are studying law in India, so I'm sure there must be some way they get them visas? You could perhaps email Links, as a potential applicant, explain your situation and ask what to do. I imagine they could help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Links is definitely on the top of my list because of this, inter alia.
Hi all, good luck with applications this window!

Does anyone know if law graduates are eligible to apply for Clifford Chance in this window or do we wait until the next window? Their website is not very clear.

Thanks!
Reply 37
Links WG invite for 2018
Has anyone heard back from Gordon Dadds post video interview?
It just occurred to me that Freshfields' TC 2018 deadline is 6 Jan 2016, which is is the same as the VS 2016 deadline. Does this mean that it's either / or? i.e. if you've been rejected from the VS, you're automatically disqualified from the TC? Is it even worth it to apply to the TC again with an edited personal statement?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending