The Student Room Group

Training contracts 2018

We're about a year on from when the last thread was opened and due to the change in guidelines I think it makes sense to start this now. Post questions/updates on progress, and let's see if we can't all get what we want.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thanks for starting the thread.

Would someone who has experience with the Baker & McKenzie cover letter be willing to read mine and provide me with some feedback? Thanks.
Ugh.
Reply 3
Has anybody heard back from Slaughters regarding the Winter Workshop? Can't remember when I sent the application - it was that long ago :colonhash:
Reply 4
Has anybody heard back from Linklaters?
Anyone Heard back from A&O direct TC app?
Just been invited for a BLP assessment centre for the winter scheme. Still waiting to hear anything from Linklaters and Wragge.
Reply 7
Thank you for this thread! Its very quiet here compared to the Training Contract 2017 thread. Is it because its still early days for most applicants or are people still posting on the 2017 one?
Reply 8
Slaughter and May TC interview invite for 2018 intake
has anyone heard back from Baker McKenzie?
Watson Glaser invite from Links for direct TC
Just wondering what you all know about the changes to the voluntary code for trainee solicitor recruitment.

This is the change in regards to responding to Training Contract offers:

The date by which students have to respond: this will be 15th September of their final year. Final year students and graduates will be given four weeks to respond to an offer.

I am doing a winter scheme with Allen & Overy, but have also just been offered a spring vacation scheme with Jones Day. I have accepted the Jones Day offer and I really like the firm. I also like A&O of course. But if A&O were to offer me a Training Contract after my vacation scheme would I only have 4 weeks to have accept? And then I would have to tell Jones Day I couldn't do their spring scheme and I wouldn't even be able to consider them anymore?

There's no way I could accept the TC offer and then do a scheme with another firm is there? I guess I should be happy if I got a TC offer from A&O but I want to experience different firms to ensure I get the right 'fit' for me.
Reply 12
Original post by marchmain
Watson Glaser invite from Links for direct TC

Hi, I applied for Links (Direct TC) yesterday. Do you know how long I have to wait before the WG test invite? Is it an automated process or is there an initial screening?
Reply 13
Original post by J-SP
The rule hasn't really changed for final year students or graduates. The four week always applied.

The easy answer is to ask for an extension of your offer until you have completed the Spring scheme. A&O should give you the extra time because they want you to make a considered decision more than a pressurised one.

If A&O don't give you extra time, then you could easily accept the offer and then renege on it later if you got another offer that you preferred (as long as you haven't received any financial support from them).

If your not comfortable doing this, then you should contact the firm you are doing future vac schemes with and see if they can transfer you across to a TC interview process before your four weeks is up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Technically the voluntary code imposes obligations on us students to notify other firms that we have applied to upon accepting a TC offer from another firm.

But since it is voluntary.... Has anyone ever had their TC revoked for breaching the code?
Original post by kalntax
Hi, I applied for Links (Direct TC) yesterday. Do you know how long I have to wait before the WG test invite? Is it an automated process or is there an initial screening?

Just under 3 weeks for me! They screen prior to the test.
Good luck to everybody!

Firmly thought I'd be in amongst the 2018 applicants after a failed Vac scheme but managed to get an offer in the summer.

My advice to you all would be do not get disheartened with rejections. Keep at the applications, do the right amount of research for each one, spend good time (I'd say at least 2-3 days) on each application, and you'll get there.

Rejections do happen, but it just takes the right firm to say yes and that's it.
Reply 16
Anyone know how long Slaughter and May usually take to get back post interview? Thanks.
Reply 17
Original post by TCchaser
Good luck to everybody!

Firmly thought I'd be in amongst the 2018 applicants after a failed Vac scheme but managed to get an offer in the summer.

My advice to you all would be do not get disheartened with rejections. Keep at the applications, do the right amount of research for each one, spend good time (I'd say at least 2-3 days) on each application, and you'll get there.

Rejections do happen, but it just takes the right firm to say yes and that's it.

Huge congrats! If you don't mind me asking, what happened on the failed vac scheme?
Anyone heard from Freshfields (post VR test), Linklaters (post WG Critical thinking test) or A&O?

Did a few vac schemes in the summer and got a few offers but felt little affinity with the firms.
Has anyone done the video interview with Simmons & Simmons?

What sort of questions are asked?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending