The Student Room Group

Car guys please reply!

Basically I come from a family which sells high end cars like ferraris and Porsches and in the showroom one day was my dream car for my age a golf r32 and next to it was an astra vxr, anyways a vxr is something I wouldn't look at twice but after being in the passenger seat I was amazed and wanted one, but then again the golf is still in mind, the r32 is a car I grew up with the roaring sound is amazing and looks amazing, but the vxr is just a Beauty all round, now if you know about golfs and vxr which car is going to give me all round pleasure and a good fun drive? Please reply btw I'm 19 and insurance isn't an issue due to te family trade policy

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Personally I wud get a VXR over a R32, IMO it looks better and running costs are better

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by amoham
Personally I wud get a VXR over a R32, IMO it looks better and running costs are better

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I may go for the vxr but I can't get that r32 sound out of my head don't get me wrong the vxr is nice sounding but the r32 is something else when it comes to noise
Reply 3
R32 much better, sounds insane with Milltek system.
Mercedes A45 AMG or a Renault Megane RS265 for me if it is these type of cars am after.
Reply 5
Definitely the Golf. Vauxhalls just don't do it for me. Also, isn't the R32 AWD? Pretty certain you're just getting boggo FWD with the VXR.
Original post by h4mza
R32 much better, sounds insane with Milltek system.

Not a fan on milltek on the r32 prefer them straight piped with no exhaust mod sound absolutely insane
Original post by Alfissti
Mercedes A45 AMG or a Renault Megane RS265 for me if it is these type of cars am after.

Renault? Not a fan of the French and the AMG are monster cars but too common in bradford if I was to get an AMG it would be the c63
Original post by Nuffles
Definitely the Golf. Vauxhalls just don't do it for me. Also, isn't the R32 AWD? Pretty certain you're just getting boggo FWD with the VXR.

In bradfodd they're soo common though nearly every street will have a golf gti or an r32 whereas the vxr less common and the turbo is a wow factor especially when you press the sport button on the vxr
Reply 9
Original post by BradfordCityLad
In bradfodd they're soo common though nearly every street will have a golf gti or an r32 whereas the vxr less common and the turbo is a wow factor especially when you press the sport button on the vxr

Astras are such dull cars though. They're neither exotic nor refined. If you want something actually fast pick up an Audi RS4. It'll whip an Astra VXR
Reply 10
why not a facelifted golf r? looks better by a mile
Reply 11
Have you actually driven either of them?

I've never driven either the Astra VXR or the R32 but I have driven the base cars in various guises. The brand new Astra is ok but the ones before that were pretty horrible to drive compared to the equivalent golf.

The stupid indicators on the vauxhalls would be enough to kill a VXR for me (no click on / off making it annoying to manually cancel).

Ultimately get a test drive in both and see which one you prefer assuming you can afford either.

I would also second jamesd678: if you can afford it look at the Golf R over the r32.
Original post by Nuffles
Astras are such dull cars though. They're neither exotic nor refined. If you want something actually fast pick up an Audi RS4. It'll whip an Astra VXR

Yeah fair enough but a 19 year old lad in an audi rs4 is going to end up in me losing my license
Original post by ichak
Have you actually driven either of them?

I've never driven either the Astra VXR or the R32 but I have driven the base cars in various guises. The brand new Astra is ok but the ones before that were pretty horrible to drive compared to the equivalent golf.

The stupid indicators on the vauxhalls would be enough to kill a VXR for me (no click on / off making it annoying to manually cancel).

Ultimately get a test drive in both and see which one you prefer assuming you can afford either.

I would also second jamesd678: if you can afford it look at the Golf R over the r32.

Might actually do that and test drive both
Original post by Jamesd678
why not a facelifted golf r? looks better by a mile

Golf R is an amazing car but I can't afford one I can on lease but that's half my wage gone a month
Reply 15
Original post by BradfordCityLad
Golf R is an amazing car but I can't afford one I can on lease but that's half my wage gone a month

haha if i could earn a golf r on lease at 19 id be more than happy if it was half my wage lol

but yea get an r32, still a kickass car
insurance isn't an issue due to the trade policy?

I think you should look up the terms of that policy, its likely to be very much an issue, most will exclude personal use, most will exclude use for family members, and most will exclude use for spottly little teens on the internets saying their parents have a car dealership.

why is it that every 19 year old has a mummy or daddys in car sales who will be giving them some expensive car.

be a little more original with your wetdreams
Bradford lad wants golf... lol. you sure it isnt a replica? The new shape Astra gtc vxr is sublime, a very good car for the money, but if you're in the business of car resale, as you say, they do not hold value well. The golf on the other hand will do. Personally I, being a fan of forced induction, would go for the vxr, some small mods and a remap you are potentially at the 300bhp mark. The golf, as capable as it may be, is way to common and boring, not to mention the 1000's of diesel based replicas you get, it looks like every other golf, where as a vxr is a vxr.
Hm, usual medium sized hothatch contenders, although im not sure how old of a VXR and R32 your looking at:
Alfa 147/156 GTA - Rare, megaquick, if its anything like the GTV V6 ive driven they handle like pigs but sound fantastic (Ragazzon exhaust system + Busso V6)

Focus RS - 1st gen ones are begining to actually apprieciate now becoming less worth it, however the ST2/3 are similer performance in a newer car for the same price

Civic Type R - Obligatory mention since your looking at hot hatches

Mondeo ST220 - Another lovely V6, pretty bulletproof and CHEEEEAP

BMW 330Ci/328i - M3 will probably be out of your price range so... baby m3? Probably wont handle as well as the other cars your looking at but fab lookin motor at any age

Mazda 3/6 MPS - Another cheaper one basicly the same motor with AWD in the 6. A lot of car for your money

Skooby do WRX/STI - If insurance isnt an issue for you then you cant go wrong :smile:

MG ZS - Bit of a left of field option but ill mention it since I just bought one myself. Sounds fab and gives an EP3 civic type R a run for its money around a track for a 1/3rd of the price... seriously these things have literally depreciated into the ground and are somewhat rare (I paid £950 for a 2004 60k mile example in alright nick)

Oh by the way I doubt you will do it but just in case: dont cheap out and by a golf VR4 4motion. They handle like shyte, however thats the closest to a R32 ive driven :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
It's just how common tey are nowadays that's all
Original post by Jamesd678
haha if i could earn a golf r on lease at 19 id be more than happy if it was half my wage lol

but yea get an r32, still a kickass car

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending