The Student Room Group

Is using Shmoop plagiarism?

My teacher just told me my English Lit essay is plaguirised because I'm not using "my own original ideas from my brian", all I did was take a point from Shmoop and interpreted it and expanded on it. I didn't copy or paste it. Everyone shares ideas in our class, are we supposed to not use it because it wasn't our own original idea? Apparently student resources aren't allowed in aqa a level which is pointless since why are there BBC bitesize and shmoop and all that in the first place?
P.S I know you have to credit Shmoop by saying contributed by or whatever.
(edited 8 years ago)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by notbeyonce*
My teacher just told me my English Lit essay is plaguirised because I'm not using "my own original ideas from my brian", all I did was take a point from Shmoop and interpreted it and expanded on it. I didn't copy or paste it. Everyone shares ideas in our class, are we supposed to not use it because it wasn't our own original idea? Apparently student resources aren't allowed in aqa a level which is pointless since why are there BBC bitesize and shmoop and all that in the first place?

Hmm, if it's not a quote then it shouldn't be a big deal :/ I mean, no-one's ideas are original when it comes to analysing like this, as it's all been said already - and if you're not stealing words, then it's not plagiarism.

I'd say it might be even riskier crediting external sources, as I'm not sure whether that's allowed (check that with the board).

... essay is plaguirised ... "my own original ideas from my brian" ...

Gotta credit that spelling tho :rofl: BRIAN!

Oh god your teacher...

That's RIDICULOUS! Reading criticism is a HUGE part of English Literature, I do it all the time. And it helps me make my own 'original' ideas, it can show you how to think. There is absolutely NO POINT reinventing the wheel. Expanding on others ideas is a brilliant skill.

In fact, there are things in an E Lit essay everyone SHOULD say, if you're looking at a Sonnet, and you don't comment on the form because you didn't notice it, then that's ridiculous!

Hope this helps, and you don't need to credit shmoop either... But I'd encourage you to think independently as much as possible, and reading shmoop will help you do that.
Reply 4
Original post by Alexion
Hmm, if it's not a quote then it shouldn't be a big deal :/ I mean, no-one's ideas are original when it comes to analysing like this, as it's all been said already - and if you're not stealing words, then it's not plagiarism.

I'd say it might be even riskier crediting external sources, as I'm not sure whether that's allowed (check that with the board).

Gotta credit that spelling tho :rofl: BRIAN!

Apparently in this newly changed A level, you have to quote all your sources, even if you used it for notes. It's AQA English Literature B I think, but I can't find anything about it.
:rofl: haha I can't spell while I'm angry
Apparently in this newly changed A level, you have to quote all your sources, even if you used it for notes. It's AQA English Literature B I think, but I can't find anything about it.
:rofl: haha I can't spell while I'm angry

I hope that's not true, if it is, it's senseless.

Quick Reply

Latest