The Student Room Group

Deciding where to do MSc Petroleum engineering (UK/ North America/ Australia/ UAE)

I have graduated from University College London in Chemical engineering (BEng). I am set on doing petroleum engineering as my MSc even though the current oil slump is not great for new grads but I am hoping by the time I graduate in 2018, things will improve. I am confused what would be the best place to do my masters degree (considering I am a British national) in terms of securing a job after graduation and pay (i.e. standard of life).

Option 1: UK (Imperial, Herriot watt or Aberdeen) Home student/ petroleum engineering roles are not as well paid as in North America, Australia or the middle east/ only opportunity is the upstream sector in the north sea, Aberdeen

Option 2: Canada (University of Calgary, University of Alberta) International student/ very reasonable tuition fees/ higher standard of life than UK/ potential of getting dual UK and Canadian citizenship as I have family in Canada

Option 3: USA (University of Texas, Texas A&M, Colorado School of Mines, University of Southern California, University of Houston, University of Tulsa, University of Oklahoma, Pennsylvania State University) - International student/ high tuition fees/ higher standard of life than UK/ from what I hear it is quite difficult for international students to secure a job in US as the companies prefer US students due to less paperwork

Option 4: Australia (University of New South Wales, University of Adelaide, Curtin University): International student/ high tuition fees/ higher standard of life than UK/ not sure about job prospect for international student after graduation but apparently the pay for petroleum engineer is the highest of the all the other countries

Option 5: UAE (Petroleum Institute, Abu Dhabi) - International student/ high tuition fees/ higher standard of life than UK/ apparently most of the graduates get a job with ADNOC (not guaranteed but very likely)/ social life could be compromised

Option 6: Norway (University of Stavanger) / Holland (Delft) Home student / very reasonable tuition fees/ apparently the pay and standard of living in Norway is very high

Any comments/ thoughts on the pros or cons on the above options would be much appreciated, particularly if you have studied in any of these university or work in the oil and gas industry
Original post by akash_dx6
I have graduated from University College London in Chemical engineering (BEng). I am set on doing petroleum engineering as my MSc even though the current oil slump is not great for new grads but I am hoping by the time I graduate in 2018, things will improve. I am confused what would be the best place to do my masters degree (considering I am a British national) in terms of securing a job after graduation and pay (i.e. standard of life).

Option 1: UK (Imperial, Herriot watt or Aberdeen) Home student/ petroleum engineering roles are not as well paid as in North America, Australia or the middle east/ only opportunity is the upstream sector in the north sea, Aberdeen

Option 2: Canada (University of Calgary, University of Alberta) International student/ very reasonable tuition fees/ higher standard of life than UK/ potential of getting dual UK and Canadian citizenship as I have family in Canada

Option 3: USA (University of Texas, Texas A&M, Colorado School of Mines, University of Southern California, University of Houston, University of Tulsa, University of Oklahoma, Pennsylvania State University) - International student/ high tuition fees/ higher standard of life than UK/ from what I hear it is quite difficult for international students to secure a job in US as the companies prefer US students due to less paperwork

Option 4: Australia (University of New South Wales, University of Adelaide, Curtin University): International student/ high tuition fees/ higher standard of life than UK/ not sure about job prospect for international student after graduation but apparently the pay for petroleum engineer is the highest of the all the other countries

Option 5: UAE (Petroleum Institute, Abu Dhabi) - International student/ high tuition fees/ higher standard of life than UK/ apparently most of the graduates get a job with ADNOC (not guaranteed but very likely)/ social life could be compromised

Option 6: Norway (University of Stavanger) / Holland (Delft) Home student / very reasonable tuition fees/ apparently the pay and standard of living in Norway is very high

Any comments/ thoughts on the pros or cons on the above options would be much appreciated, particularly if you have studied in any of these university or work in the oil and gas industry

Hi there.

I don't think it matters where you end up doing your degree. However, in my opinion, I do believe that financial speaking, doing it in the UK would be most beneficial to you, especially if you are doing it at Imperial. If you are considering universities abroad, the US and Canada are great places to do your degree in engineering. I'm not too sure about Australia, but I reckon it would be a good place to go as well.

As for the UAE, I've heard from my friends that they usually prefer degrees from foreign universities, so I wouldn't suggest doing it in the UAE.

Hope that helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending