The Student Room Group

£28k starting salary fresh out of uni

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bill_Gates
28k won't buy you jack all in London. 34k is the median salary in central. Heck i know people struggling on 40k lol.

they must be awful at budgeting or desperately trying to live the high life
Original post by chosenone93
they must be awful at budgeting or desperately trying to live the high life

well no. 40K won't give you the high life in London. 70K you can live a normal existence.
well no. 40K won't give you the high life in London. 70K you can live a normal existence.

exactly but those struggling on 40k must either have a plethora of debt or are over spending
Original post by J-SP
I'm earning a lot less than 70k and have more than a "normal" existence. I reckon I have a fairly good lifestyle and get to do most things I want.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But thing is someone earning 70k has certain expectations and tends to come from that sort of background if you know what i mean. They won't rough it out in a semi nice area or forgo with certain life's luxuries. They expect it as the norm.
28k is decent. It's possible to be on jsa or min wage post uni so I would say 28k is a damn good salary.
Reply 65
But thing is someone earning 70k has certain expectations and tends to come from that sort of background if you know what i mean. They won't rough it out in a semi nice area or forgo with certain life's luxuries. They expect it as the norm.

So you've neglected to define the normal experience as actually being normal experience for someone on 70k and who likes to spend that level of income.

I certainly wouldn't consider a 70k level of expenditure to be normal for me. Excluding housing expenses, my annual expenditure is less than £10k and I could easily cut that back if required. That's normal for me.
Original post by J-SP
I think that is a bit presumptuous.

People's expectations will always shape what they think is acceptable and what isn't. The realities are completely different though and anyone assuming that 70k is a salary that can only make you "comfortable" probably needs a wake up call.

This is central London we are talking about.
Original post by Reue
So you've neglected to define the normal experience as actually being normal experience for someone on 70k and who likes to spend that level of income.

I certainly wouldn't consider a 70k level of expenditure to be normal for me. Excluding housing expenses, my annual expenditure is less than £10k and I could easily cut that back if required. That's normal for me.

This is central London we are talking about. You have to factor in 40% taxes.
Reply 68

Not if you're on 40k.
28k won't buy you jack all in London. 34k is the median salary in central. Heck i know people struggling on 40k lol.

WTF is wrong with these people?! Do they have like 10 kids? Or a huge crack habit?!

I live comfortably off a PhD salary in London, my partner saves over 10 grand a year from 36K :s-smilie: If you are struggling on 40k you need to have a good hard look at your life.
Original post by TheMaster102
Would you consider this good, is this average?

What are your aims/expectations after graduating and what did you end up with in the end

For a 37.5 hour week, yeah.

For a 60 hour week, no its ****ing ****. Its barely above the minimum wage.
Bill Gates is a troll...

@redferry

Not sure you understand how tax works??

You only get 20% tax up to around 42-43 grand and 10,600 of that is tax free. On a 40k wage you'd still have over 30 grand a year after tax - that's over 2500 per month. So you live in a 1 bed flat on your own in zone 2/3...say 1500 per month rent and bills, 150 a month travel...that's still 850 quid per month to spend on enjoying yourself. And that's if you're single and living on your own, you could half your rent an bills expenditure by living in a shared house or with a partner.
I repeat!

Bill Gates is a troll.

@redferry

:troll:
Original post by redferry
Not sure you understand how tax works??

You only get 20% tax up to around 42-43 grand and 10,600 of that is tax free. On a 40k wage you'd still have over 30 grand a year after tax - that's over 2500 per month. So you live in a 1 bed flat on your own in zone 2/3...say 1500 per month rent and bills, 150 a month travel...that's still 850 quid per month to spend on enjoying yourself. And that's if you're single and living on your own, you could half your rent an bills expenditure by living in a shared house or with a partner.

LMAO i pay 40% i think i know how it works. Thanks.

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I repeat!

Bill Gates is a troll.

@redferry

Unemployment is well harsh.
I'm sorry for breaking it to you how the top 20% live in Central London.
I repeat!

Bill Gates is a troll.

@redferry

didnt he used to be a raging conservative?
Original post by redferry
didnt he used to be a raging conservative?

He pretends to be some uber successful businessman and makes flippent comments on everything and stupid pretend rich man comments like you can't live off of 40k in london or about the coming revolution :rolleyes:

He trolls both conservatives and lefties on here. That "I'm sorry for voting conservative" thread was just the trolling the former (and I guess lefties in a way, he is master troll)

He's basically a wind up and is rather good at it it would seem :beard: I proper troll :ninja:

Well that's my two cents anyway.
(edited 8 years ago)
He pretends to be some uber successful businessman and makes flippent comments on everything and stupid pretend rich man comments like you can't live off of 40k in london :rolleyes:

He trolls both conservatives and lefties on here. That "I'm sorry for voting conservative thread" was just the trolling the former.

He's basically a wind up and is rather good at it it would seem :beard: I proper troll :ninja:

But hes also a ranting lefty on the corbyn threads XD
Original post by J-SP
It's no where near 20%. It's not even 5%.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Central covers a wide cross section of society/space. I would say it's fair but obviously in the richer locations - nope.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending