The Student Room Group

£28k starting salary fresh out of uni

Would you consider this good, is this average?

What are your aims/expectations after graduating and what did you end up with in the end

Scroll to see replies

Seems good to me
is that what they're offering you?
Reply 3
You really needed to ask this? I think you're just showing off. Are you gonna go boast on Linkedin after this?

A lot of graduates are lucky to even get 15k these days.

There is no starting salary that a graduate must get. You gotta do what you gotta do. For some they are just lucky. For some it takes a while to reach where they wanna be and have to work for peanuts to get on the ladder.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
It's really good
Lol that's amazing
Original post by TheMaster102

What are your aims/expectations after graduating and what did you end up with in the end

What did you graduate in if you don't mind me asking?

If you are working in London then no, it is ****e. Is that the answer you wanted? If you are working in Northern Scotland where living is cheap then yes, it is great? If you are earning that amount you should at least be able to know whether it is good or bad... Redundant question.
amazing $$$ :eek:
Reply 9

Let's be honest; you're trying to brag.

Its a very average starting salary for a new graduate role.
Original post by Reue

Lol I bet you ruined the OP's evening
As a graduate you accept whatever the hell you can get to survive and pay the rent. I know a lot of graduates who are signing on and still live with the parents. Theres no shame in accepting a low wage, providing its reasonable for the work you do

Also it depends what industry/sector you're in. Starting salary in some sectors is terrible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
It's definitely the silliest question I've come across in a while on here. You're either pretty stupid, or just trying to brag.

As has been mentioned, when you're a graduate (for most people) it's pretty much get what you're given.
I'm not trying to brag at all, I just wanted to know if it's in general seen as good or it's average. I know some people are making 35k fresh out of uni so compared to my peers it's on the lower side.

I'm going to be an app developer for a gaming company, I've got about 9 years of programming experience and had 3 job offers of which I turned down. I majored in Computer Science.

I've come a long way considering when I graduated I actually only got a 2:2 and I was devastated, i made a thread on here about that. it was soul crushing and it knocked my confidence.

I thought my life was over (stupidly) but because of my 9 years coding experience, portfolio of apps on google play and the app stores and around the internet I was in high demand. There was a bit of a bidding war before I got the offer and three companies were interested.

The tech industry is a really good place to be atm, ridiculous demand, next to no supply, but I should stress that anyone can break into this industry. The company I got the job with and literally every single one I was interviewed at did not even once mention my degree, or my university whatsoever. They didn't care about that at all, I thought my life was over and I'd never even find a job because of the 2:2 BUT it's just not true :P

If anyone is an aspiring computer programmer, the future is looking good for us guys, but anyone to the topic at hand.

I just wanted information, the internet is pretty dubious. I think 30k is the national average so 28 is slightly lower than that.

I

Higher than average tbf. It is what it is OP.

Original post by Reue

This. Defs sounds like it. I earn around about that much straight outta uni, but many many people earn a lot less... Equally, one of my friends got damn lucky and earns 40K straight out, working for a hedge fund.

The thing is, it's higher than the average UK salary - never mind graduates
Original post by The_Internet
Higher than average tbf. It is what it is OP.

This. Defs sounds like it. I earn around about that much straight outta uni, but many many people earn a lot less... Equally, one of my friends got damn lucky and earns 40K straight out, working for a hedge fund.

The thing is, it's higher than the average UK salary - never mind graduates

So if it's average then how am I trying to brag?

I don't really care if people think I'm trying to brag, haters gon hate
So if it's average then how am I trying to brag?

I don't really care if people think I'm trying to brag, haters gon hate

Perhaps a better question would be "What is the average graduate salary" And why would I hate on you for earning around the same amount exactly?
Original post by datpiff
As a graduate you accept whatever the hell you can get to survive and pay the rent. I know a lot of graduates who are signing on and still live with the parents. Theres no shame in accepting a low wage, providing its reasonable for the work you do

Also it depends what industry/sector you're in. Starting salary in some sectors is terrible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depending on the industry, I wouldn't necessarily "accept whatever"
Original post by The_Internet
Depending on the industry, I wouldn't necessarily "accept whatever"

With a lot of graduates however they haven't got much of an option. As a fresh face its very risky to price yourself too high.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Seems decent, depends on the field you're in though. For example that would be insulting to an IBer or a London-based corporate lawyer but completely fine for most graduate roles.

Seems to be in line with most engineering roles, Big4 etc.

Personally anything over £30k is awesome - if I continue on the track I am on (IB/Consulting/Law) £35-50k starting would be the expectation. The starting pay at the bank I will be interning at is ~£50-55k base.

I'd probably peg the average grad scheme at about £25-30k. The average, including non-graduate roles, for all graduates may be nearer £21-22k because of the people who stay up north.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending