The Student Room Group

Best cuisine in the world?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by cole-slaw
There's really not, though.

What about Italian seafood, steak, not to mention wine! Remember that in Italy, pasta only makes up one course of a whole meal, and pizza is seen as a sort of peasant food. You would not get pizza in a posh restaurant in Italy. The rest of their cuisine is not pasta or pizza related at all.

And as for Indian food, the fact that they use spices that we associate with curry in most of their food leads people to believe that everything they eat is curry. In fact, in India, there is no such thing as 'curry'. That's a word that began to be used during the British Empire, by us. Which leads me to the next point, which is that the British and Portuguese empires have influenced areas of Indian cuisine greatly, leading to very different flavours in different parts of the country. Aside from a vast array of dishes we would class as 'curry' (which really is too broad a term) they have beautiful dry dishes made with lamb, fish, or vegetables. That's not to mention different breads, fried street food, sweets, gorgeous drinks like lassi and kulfi ice cream.
Original post by redferry
You're very ignorant about food clearly!

Both cuisines are extremeley varied. My favourite Indian cuisine is South Indian - you won't see a curry anywhere. All about pau bhaji, bel puri etc, dosas etc. so good.

As for Italian, pasta is traditionally just one course in ~ 4-5 or so that you will have in a meal. generally you have starter, pasta, meat, dessert and cheese at the very least.

I voted Italian because I've never had food as good as Italian food in Italy. I might change my mind if I visited India for myself though.

Complete nonsense. Go to Italy and 90% of restaurants sell either pizza or pasta. They don't really do anything else, its a bit embarrassing, really. I've never been anywhere with such a dreadful selection of food. If you think Italian food in Italy is good, you must be extremely underexposed to genuinely good food. Their cheese is ****.

As for curry cuisine,
what is bel puri? rice in spicy gravy. so curry.
a bhaji is a crappy little starter, and a dosa is basically a naan bread. So curry, rice, naan and a bhaji. Totally unlike regular curry house fare then :rolleyes:
Original post by abc:)
What about Italian seafood, steak, not to mention wine! Remember that in Italy, pasta only makes up one course of a whole meal, and pizza is seen as a sort of peasant food. You would not get pizza in a posh restaurant in Italy. The rest of their cuisine is not pasta or pizza related at all.

And as for Indian food, the fact that they use spices that we associate with curry in most of their food leads people to believe that everything they eat is curry. In fact, in India, there is no such thing as 'curry'. That's a word that began to be used during the British Empire, by us. Which leads me to the next point, which is that the British and Portuguese empires have influenced areas of Indian cuisine greatly, leading to very different flavours in different parts of the country. Aside from a vast array of dishes we would class as 'curry' (which really is too broad a term) they have beautiful dry dishes made with lamb, fish, or vegetables. That's not to mention different breads, fried street food, sweets, gorgeous drinks like lassi and kulfi ice cream.

Italian wine is mediocre. Steak is English. The French and Spanish do better seafood. 90% of Italian restaurants only sell pizza and pasta.

All Indian food is curry, this is the point. Go to India, and you will not find a single dish that you would not describe as a curry, apart from maybe McDonalds.
Complete nonsense. Go to Italy and 90% of restaurants sell either pizza or pasta. They don't really do anything else, its a bit embarrassing, really. I've never been anywhere with such a dreadful selection of food. If you think Italian food in Italy is good, you must be extremely underexposed to genuinely good food. Their cheese is ****.

As for curry cuisine,
what is bel puri? rice in spicy gravy. so curry.
a bhaji is a crappy little starter, and a dosa is basically a naan bread. So curry, rice, naan and a bhaji. Totally unlike regular curry house fare then :rolleyes:

Yeah because it's not like my dad is Italian and I haven't been to Italy once/twice a year since I was born?!

EVERY restaurant will sell pasta because you always have a pasta course with your meal - did you not read what I said - it is ONE course of 4/5 courses that you eat. Not every restaurant will sell pizza though, that often depends on the type of restaurant and the region.

They do the best cured meats, sausages, wild boar stew, octopus, fish, lobster, scallops, rabbit, horse, veal,steaks, lentils, polenta....urghhhhhhh. Drooling just thinking about it. Nothing comes close. Fresh Parmesan is literally the king of all cheese. Or maybe burrata...oh god burrata....

you don't even know what pav baji is XD LOL

Dosa are made completely differently to a naan and is not bread??? It's more like a pancake if anything....

Also explain to me how panni poori/aloo poori/paneer shashlik is anything like a curry :/
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 24
Italian wine is mediocre. Steak is English. The French and Spanish do better seafood. 90% of Italian restaurants only sell pizza and pasta.

All Indian food is curry, this is the point. Go to India, and you will not find a single dish that you would not describe as a curry, apart from maybe McDonalds.

RE: Italian. Now you're admitting that those things exist, you're just saying you prefer other countries' versions of them. And I think you are referring to 90% of British Italian restaurants. I'm talking about restaurants in Italy.

RE: Indian. So pistachio ice cream is curry? Mango milkshake is curry? You have an odd palate.
RE: Italian. Now you're admitting that those things exist, you're just saying you prefer other countries' versions of them. And I think you are referring to 90% of British Italian restaurants. I'm talking about restaurants in Italy.

RE: Indian. So pistachio ice cream is curry? Mango milkshake is curry? You have an odd palate.

We're talking about cuisine. Italians do eat other country's cuisines as well as just pizza and pasta, although not much.

Its a very underdeveloped country and as such you can't really expect it to have decent food.

They're drinks, we're talking about foods. Obviously there are a few starters and stuff - just go to a curry house and ask what they have that isn't curry. You'll be given a bhaji or kebab or similar - it will all still taste of curry though, of course, because all Indian food tastes of curry.
Yeah because it's not like my dad is Italian and I haven't been to Italy once/twice a year since I was born?!

EVERY restaurant will sell pasta because you always have a pasta course with your meal - did you not read what I said - it is ONE course of 4/5 courses that you eat. Not every restaurant will sell pizza though, that often depends on the type of restaurant and the region.

They do the best cured meats, sausages, wild boar stew, octopus, fish, lobster, scallops, rabbit, horse, veal,steaks, lentils, polenta....urghhhhhhh. Drooling just thinking about it. Nothing comes close. Fresh Parmesan is literally the king of all cheese. Or maybe burrata...oh god burrata....

you don't even know what pav baji is XD LOL

Dosa are made completely differently to a naan and is not bread??? It's more like a pancake if anything....

Also explain to me how panni poori/aloo poori/paneer shashlik is anything like a curry :/

I guess that explains why you're so underexposed to good food - where most people go to a whole range of different countries and so can make a fair comparison and have an informed opinion, you've been stuck eating the same old **** from Italy every year.

Try to broaden your horizons a bit! All of the food groups you mentioned, other countries do better.
Reply 27
We're talking about cuisine. Italians do eat other country's cuisines as well as just pizza and pasta, although not much.

Its a very underdeveloped country and as such you can't really expect it to have decent food.

They're drinks, we're talking about foods. Obviously there are a few starters and stuff - just go to a curry house and ask what they have that isn't curry. You'll be given a bhaji or kebab or similar - it will all still taste of curry though, of course, because all Indian food tastes of curry.

Oh man this was fun until you made it not believable. I post tons of threads, try again on another one. I've highlighted the bits that let you down
Oh man this was fun until you made it not believable. I post tons of threads, try again on another one. I've highlighted the bits that let you down

Italy is a very underdeveloped country. Google it.

and we are talking about food.

I said "All Indian food is curry," and you replied "Mango milkshake is curry?"

So just to be clear, do you think mango milkshake is a food or a drink? Because you implied it was a food. But I don't think you're really that stupid, I think you're just a bit careless at reading other people's posts.
I guess that explains why you're so underexposed to good food - where most people go to a whole range of different countries and so can make a fair comparison and have an informed opinion, you've been stuck eating the same old **** from Italy every year.

Try to broaden your horizons a bit! All of the food groups you mentioned, other countries do better.

I've actually spent time in 30 countries in my lifetime other than the UK.

Spoiler

I may go to Italy but 9/10 times I will also go somewhere else that year. We go to see family once a year but then generally I will have fieldwork or another holiday on top of that. This year I have been to Italy, Hungary, California, Kenya, Croatia, Bosnia and Montenegro. We often drive over it is a big trip and stay in other European countries along the way.

None did as good food as Italy. I think Greece potentially comes in second. And believe me, I do food in a BIG way when I go abroad.
(edited 8 years ago)
I've actually spent time in 30 countries in my lifetime other than the UK.

Spoiler

I may go to Italy but 9/10 times I will also go somewhere else that year. We go to see family once a year but then generally I will have fieldwork or another holiday on top of that. This year I have been to Italy, Hungary, California, Kenya, Croatia, Bosnia and Montenegro. We often drive over it is a big trip and stay in other European countries along the way.

None did as good food as Italy. I think Greece potentially comes in second. And believe me, I do food in a BIG way when I go abroad.

Yeah ok, sure thing.
Reply 31
Italy is a very underdeveloped country. Google it.

and we are talking about food.

I said "All Indian food is curry," and you replied "Mango milkshake is curry?"

So just to be clear, do you think mango milkshake is a food or a drink? Because you implied it was a food. But I don't think you're really that stupid, I think you're just a bit careless at reading other people's posts.

So what is your favourite kind of food? British I know, but what exactly
Yeah ok, sure thing.

What? That's the godshonest truth, I've done tonnes of fieldwork abroad and a number of conferences abroad :/

Then obviously a trip to Italy costs us very little because we can stay with friends and family. Last summer especially the flights were ridiculously cheap (FINALLY persuaded my parents not to drive for the summer holidays...I get so car sick).

I'll be interrailing this Easter and doing some of Eastern Europe :smile: so can experience some more countries cuisine! Then back to Italy with the family for a week in the Summer for the festival of the emigrants. I'll also have my field season in Kenya, when I'll be travelling up to Ethiopia for a week hopefully, so excited for the food there (became hooked on Ethiopian food the 2nd time I went out to Kenya, there's a great Ethiopian restaurant in Nairobi that I went to for my Bday). Plus a conference in Guatamala and one in France :smile:

I'll have to get back to you if any of them beat Italy food wise

I really need to do Asia though, that's the main thing missing. Mexico, too, the food in Honduras and Costa Rica is similar in parts but not the same.

Have you ever even visited Italy outside the tourist traps? From what you have said I am guessing no.
(edited 8 years ago)
What? That's the godshonest truth, I've done tonnes of fieldwork abroad and a number of conferences abroad :/

Then obviously a trip to Italy costs us very little because we can stay with friends and family. Last summer especially the flights were ridiculously cheap (FINALLY persuaded my parents not to drive for the summer holidays...I get so car sick).

I'll be interrailing this Easter and doing some of Eastern Europe :smile: so can experience some more countries cuisine! Then back to Italy with the family for a week in the Summer for the festival of the emigrants. I'll also have my field season in Kenya, when I'll be travelling up to Ethiopia for a week hopefully, so excited for the food there (became hooked on Ethiopian food the 2nd time I went out to Kenya, there's a great Ethiopian restaurant in Nairobi that I went to for my Bday). Plus a conference in Guatamala and one in France :smile:

I'll have to get back to you if any of them beat Italy food wise

I really need to do Asia though, that's the main thing missing. Mexico, too, the food in Honduras and Costa Rica is similar in parts but not the same.

Have you ever even visited Italy outside the tourist traps? From what you have said I am guessing no.

I know I totally believe you.
Indo-Caribbean. The spices and curries and savory meats; the fried snacks; the use of milks and butter and cream; the fruits, and making vegetables even taste good. It's appetizing, healthy, and filling.
battered sausage is the one
I know I totally believe you.

I genuinely don't know why you wouldn't believe me :s

I didn't even include South Georgia and the Falkland islands because they aren't countries...although they were the same trip as Chile and Argentina.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by binarythoughts
Iranian or Pakistani

Pakistani FTW
I genuinely don't know why you wouldn't believe me :s

I didn't even include South Georgia and the Falkland islands because they aren't countries...although they were the same trip as Chile and Argentina.

Precisely. Why wouldn't I.
Precisely. Why wouldn't I.

I genuinely have no idea... I've been posting on this foum long enough for it to be obvious I'm in the field a lot?! Well, was, my PhD is less field based.

So, tell me about your extensive experience of Italy?

Quick Reply

Latest