The Student Room Group

Work experience with an Actuary

Hi,

I am interested in becoming an actuary but I honestly know nothing about them (apart from what I have read on the internet). Therefore, I want to do some work experience with them but I don't know how. Who did I need to contact to get work experience with them?

I live in Lincolnshire, if that helps.

Any help is appreciated :smile:
Original post by jack.lp.thompson

Unlikely to help.
Hi,

I am interested in becoming an actuary but I honestly know nothing about them (apart from what I have read on the internet). Therefore, I want to do some work experience with them but I don't know how. Who did I need to contact to get work experience with them?

Any help is appreciated :smile:

What's your educational background ? Still at school / sixth form ? Graduate ?
Original post by bijesh12
What's your educational background ? Still at school / sixth form ? Graduate ?

I am currently at sixth form (in y13) studying maths, chemistry and physics :smile:
I am currently at sixth form (in y13) studying maths, chemistry and physics :smile:

Okay.. I work at an actuarial firm where we have A-level students come in for about 2 weeks for experience just to get a feel of the kind of work we do. If you look on the actuarial directory :

http://www.actuaries.org.uk/research-and-resources/documents/directory-actuarial-employers-2015-16

Look for small companies which may offer the chance to have work experience, it's unlikely big corporates offer such opportunities some do through summer insight programmes though.

That would you give a small insight in to the work.. but you probably wouldn't learn much from it. From a studies perspective, try doing a Maths / Actuarial Science / Economics degree for best chances in terms of getting employment. But frankly it dosen't matter as long as your degree has some number crunching you are fine (a lot of engineers / physicists go down the actuarial route as well).

Whilst at uni, try getting an internship at one of the firms in the directory this is usually a big thing to put on the CV as well as getting an offer for a graduate job offer after you finish uni based on how you do during the internship.

Any other questions.. just shout :smile:

Remember if your planning to go down the actuarial route, please don't do it just for the money. The exams are very very very very challenging (some are).. and you need a lot of motivation to plough through.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending