The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Scroll to see replies

[QUOTE="ohmycurls;59743665"]
Original post by thalprice
Those are very, very prestigious schools. I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but if your SAT score isn't at least 2200-2300 then you probably won't have a shot.[/QUOTE

SAT was 2289
US history 690
World History 790
English Lit 720

Are these okay?

Those are very good! Looks like you have a decent shot too. It'll also probably help you that you're from the UK since American colleges do everything they can to increase diversity. Do you know if they require your transcript/GPA?
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
[QUOTE="thalprice;59749349"]
Original post by ohmycurls

Those are very good! Looks like you have a decent shot too. It'll also probably help you that you're from the UK since American colleges do everything they can to increase diversity. Do you know if they require your transcript/GPA?

Thank you :smile:
I spoke to several admissions teams and they all said they can't convert my a levels or gcses as to why I had to do the SATs. All they need is an essay, ps and references
[QUOTE="ohmycurls;59749655"]

Thank you :smile:
I spoke to several admissions teams and they all said they can't convert my a levels or gcses as to why I had to do the SATs. All they need is an essay, ps and references

That's great! I assume you're using the Common App as well, right?
Also I live in Boston and my dad works for Harvard so I can tell you it's honestly an amazing university if you get in you should definitely go.
Original post by Save.Me
Course: Biomedical science
AS Grades: I did horrendosuly at AS (CDD) in bio, physics, and maths, because of personal/extenuating circumstances. But now, feeling better health-wise, I'm certain I can get better grades.
Predicted Grades: Either ABB or BBB. Crossing my fingers so hard for his haha.
Other unis: I really want to live in London so I'm applying for Brunel, Roehampton, Middlesex, and Westminster (backup in case I get no offers.)

Has anyone already sent off their applications/gotten an offer?

I haven't, I think I'm going to send in my application sometime later this month.
I haven't, I think I'm going to send in my application sometime later this month.

Yeah same here haha. I was just scared that I was totally late because everyone already seems to be sending stuff off and getting offers. :redface:
[QUOTE="thalprice;59751231"]

That's great! I assume you're using the Common App as well, right?
Also I live in Boston and my dad works for Harvard so I can tell you it's honestly an amazing university if you get in you should definitely go.

Yeah I am &wow that's amazing, are you applying for there?
[QUOTE="ohmycurls;59752153"]

Yeah I am &wow that's amazing, are you applying for there?

No I'm not, I wouldn't have a chance! My SAT is only 1950 :s-smilie::frown:. I'm applying to other universities in Boston though (Boston University mainly). Just out of curiosity, what's drawing you to the US?
[QUOTE="thalprice;59752403"]

No I'm not, I wouldn't have a chance! My SAT is only 1950 :s-smilie::frown:. I'm applying to other universities in Boston though (Boston University mainly). Just out of curiosity, what's drawing you to the US?

Oh:frown:, good luck! Mainly because my sister went there and I have family in the US so i come over regular and I'm tired of London and of course the amazing universities.
Reply 28
Original post by Save.Me
AS Grades: I did horrendosuly at AS (CDD) in bio, physics, and maths, because of personal/extenuating circumstances. But now, feeling better health-wise, I'm certain I can get better grades.
Other unis: I really want to live in London so I'm applying for Brunel, Roehampton, Middlesex, and Westminster (backup in case I get no offers.)

I literally live 10 minutes away from Brunel! My prom is actually held there, it's a nice campus :smile:
Reply 29
Yes definitely, they look at your school to contextualise your results anyway :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by Save.Me

Just to add - I've sent off my offer, about two weeks ago, but I haven't even got a confirmation from QM yet :/ I think they interview for my course though so that might explain it!
Reply 31
History and Politics! Have yet to here from anywhere :frown:
Reply 32
You have loads of time dw! I had to apply early since I'm applying for Oxford which has an October deadline.
[QUOTE="ohmycurls;59753595"]

Oh:frown:, good luck! Mainly because my sister went there and I have family in the US so i come over regular and I'm tired of London and of course the amazing universities.

Yeah I get what you mean. Anyway good luck to you as well!
Original post by antigone-
I literally live 10 minutes away from Brunel! My prom is actually held there, it's a nice campus

Really? I'm cautious about Brunel because I really want to live in London, a huge city. I've lived in the countryside my entire life, and I hate it :frown: what's the area like, if you don't mind me asking, and is it far from London? I made a post on the Brunel thread about this actually! Great that someone actually lives there haha :biggrin:

And, don't worry, I'm sure you'll get a confirmation soon. It's early days. I haven't even sent my application :frown: they don't interview for my course, thank God, otherwise it'd be hard for me to travel all the way to London!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by Save.Me
Really? I'm cautious about Brunel because I really want to live in London, a huge city. I've lived in the countryside my entire life, and I hate it :frown: what's the area like, if you don't mind me asking, and is it far from London? I made a post on the Brunel thread about this actually! Great that someone actually lives there haha :biggrin:

And, don't worry, I'm sure you'll get a confirmation soon. It's early days. I haven't even sent my application :frown: they don't interview for my course, thank God, otherwise it'd be hard for me to travel all the way to London!

It's a bit surburby but takes 30 mins to get to central. Brunel isn't as daunting as other London unis but you still get the London experience! It's in Uxbridge which is a relatively nice part of Middlesex, and has a nice shopping centre not too far away from Brunel. You won't find it difficult to get around haha

I used to live in Buckinghamshire and central London is very, very different. Brunel is good because you won't be thrown right into the deep end!
(edited 8 years ago)
It's a bit surburby but takes 30 mins to get to central. Brunel isn't as daunting as other London unis but you still get the London experience! It's in Uxbridge which is a relatively nice part of Middlesex, and has a nice shopping centre not too far away from Brunel. You won't find it difficult to get around haha

I used to live in Buckinghamshire and central London is very, very different. Brunel is good because you won't be thrown right into the deep end!

Yeah, it seems like such a good uni. Will definitely be my QM backup, if I actually get an offer, that is. I'm guessing QM is going to be one of your backups, since you've applied for Oxford?
Reply 37
Original post by Save.Me
Yeah, it seems like such a good uni. Will definitely be my QM backup, if I actually get an offer, that is. I'm guessing QM is going to be one of your backups, since you've applied for Oxford?

Hopefully!
Hopefully!

Good luck! With your grades, I'm sure you'll definitely get an offer from QM, at least :smile:
Applying for Mechanical engineering

AS grades: AAAC (I got an A* in maths A2 already, just cos our school does further maths differently)
Predicted: A*A*A*
Other unis I'm applying to: I really want to stay in London, so Imperial, UCL, (Queen Mary), Brunel and City as a back up

Latest

Trending

Trending