The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Scroll to see replies

Hi I'm a US student also applying to QMUL. I think I'm going to submit my application sometime in November as I'm waiting for some more exam results.

Here's my info

Course: Politics & International Relations
I don't have A-Levels since I'm a US applicant but I have AP Exams which are basically the same thing. My grades for those are a 554 which is the same thing as A*A*B here on A-Levels.
Other unis: Royal Holloway, KCL, and City
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Original post by thalprice
Hi I'm a US student also applying to QMUL. I think I'm going to submit my application sometime in November as I'm waiting for some more exam results.

Here's my info

Course: Politics & International Relations
I don't have A-Levels since I'm a US applicant but I have AP Exams which are basically the same thing. My grades for those are a 554 which is the same thing as A*A*B here on A-Levels.
Other unis: Royal Holloway, KCL, and City

What made you choose the UK over the US if you don't mind me asking? :smile:
Original post by antigone-
What made you choose the UK over the US if you don't mind me asking? :smile:

I'm applying to unis in both countries but I want to study International Relations so I feel as though it'd be more beneficial if I studied abroad, since it is International Relations after all. Also, my father is English and I have a lot of family in the UK (and I'm a dual-citizen) so I'm relatively familiar with the UK as well. And who wouldn't want to live in London? :wink:
Reply 4
I'm applying to unis in both countries but I want to study International Relations so I feel as though it'd be more beneficial if I studied abroad, since it is International Relations after all. Also, my father is English and I have a lot of family in the UK (and I'm a dual-citizen) so I'm relatively familiar with the UK as well. And who wouldn't want to live in London? :wink:

That makes sense, although I live in London already :tongue:
That makes sense, although I live in London already :tongue:

Lucky you! :biggrin:
Reply 6
Does anybody know anything about Queen Mary's outstanding potential award? What sort of grades should History applicants be looking at in order to qualify for an unconditional offer from this award?
Hiii

Course: International Relations
AS Grades: AAAC
Predicted Grades: A*A*A
Other unis: KCL, LSE, Nottingham
Reply 8
Original post by ohmycurls
Hiii

Course: International Relations
AS Grades: AAAC
Predicted Grades: A*A*A
Other unis: KCL, LSE, Nottingham

You're only applying to 4?

They might be applying to more than one course at a specific uni, I'm applying to 2 courses at KCL
Reply 10
They might be applying to more than one course at a specific uni, I'm applying to 2 courses at KCL

Oh that's slightly risky, one Politics & IR and one what else?

No i haven't decided on my fifth choice yet but I'm also applying to the US
Oh that's slightly risky, one Politics & IR and one what else?

Is it really risky? Would it hurt my chances? The other is History & IR
No i haven't decided on my fifth choice yet but I'm also applying to the US

Where are you looking at in the US?
Reply 14
Is it really risky? Would it hurt my chances? The other is History & IR

Well I guess it's pretty straight forward.
1. How can you show commitment to a subject if you're applying for two different courses?
2. Unless they're accepting two personal statements, your personal statement is going to look pretty vague and not as focused as would be optimal.
3. If King's just simply don't like you, that's 2 of your 5 choices wasted, when really it should just be 1. Seeing as you are applying for two IR courses, you run the risk that the same department will be looking at two seperate applications from you.

Don't let me deter you if you have your heart set on it though!
Well I guess it's pretty straight forward.
1. How can you show commitment to a subject if you're applying for two different courses?
2. Unless they're accepting two personal statements, your personal statement is going to look pretty vague and not as focused as would be optimal.
3. If King's just simply don't like you, that's 2 of your 5 choices wasted, when really it should just be 1. Seeing as you are applying for two IR courses, you run the risk that the same department will be looking at two seperate applications from you.

Don't let me deter you if you have your heart set on it though!

That's good advice I think I'll only apply to one. Thanks!
Where are you looking at in the US?

Columbia, Harvard, Stanford, Dartmouth, Yale

i think my sat and sat subject scores were pretty average though. Its hard to find comparisons of other UK students
Columbia, Harvard, Stanford, Dartmouth, Yale

i think my sat and sat subject scores were pretty average though. Its hard to find comparisons of other UK students

Those are very, very prestigious schools. I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but if your SAT score isn't at least 2200-2300 then you probably won't have a shot.
[QUOTE="thalprice;59743341"]Those are very, very prestigious schools. I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but if your SAT score isn't at least 2200-2300 then you probably won't have a shot.[/QUOTE

SAT was 2289
US history 690
World History 790
English Lit 720

Are these okay?
Course: Biomedical science
AS Grades: I did horrendosuly at AS (CDD) in bio, physics, and maths, because of personal/extenuating circumstances. But now, feeling better health-wise, I'm certain I can get better grades.
Predicted Grades: Either ABB or BBB. Crossing my fingers so hard for his haha.
Other unis: I really want to live in London so I'm applying for Brunel, Roehampton, Middlesex, and Westminster (backup in case I get no offers.)

Has anyone already sent off their applications/gotten an offer?

Latest