The Student Room Group

University jitters

My son's just started uni, was really excited about going etc and now is having serious doubts. He hasn't even really started as his lessons start next week but any tips on helping him get through the the next few week?
Original post by A parent
My son's just started uni, was really excited about going etc and now is having serious doubts. He hasn't even really started as his lessons start next week but any tips on helping him get through the the next few week?

Let him know that feeling homesick is normal and that there will be other students feeling the same way. However most find their feet when lectures start and soon learn to love their university time.

Has he said why he feels unhappy? If he isnt getting on with his flatmates he may be able to arrange a swap r will make other friends when his course starts.
Reply 2
Thanks, I'm hoping that he'll feel better once he start his timetable as I think having too much free time is making him feel a bit lost. He is going out and has made friends so it may just be a few jitters - I hope so
He'll soon be meeting a lot more people. Keep in contact with him but be reassuring I wouldnt let him come home for the weekend as that is when most friendships are formed. However you could arrange to visit if he is is visiting distance.
Reply 4
This is so common. Lots of people really don't enjoy Freshers' Week that much, but once he gets stuck in to the lectures and seminars etc he will feel much better. it might be worth checking out the Uni Life forum here as there are any number of threads from people feeling much the same.

I agree about encouraging him to stay at uni over the weekends - that's when the social networks really get built, and coming home and then having to go back actually makes homesickness worse. It might take until next term before he truly feels settled but things should start to improve soon.
Reply 5
Original post by parentlurker
Let him know that feeling homesick is normal and that there will be other students feeling the same way. However most find their feet when lectures start and soon learn to love their university time.

Has he said why he feels unhappy? If he isnt getting on with his flatmates he may be able to arrange a swap r will make other friends when his course starts.

Thanks. Taking each day at a time seems to be working and he's not as upset and anxious, let's see how it goes over the next week.
Reply 6
Thanks. Taking each day at a time seems to be working and he's not as upset and anxious, let's see how it goes over the next week.

All seems fairly normal really...

I'm sure he'll be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending