The Student Room Group

To all Year 12s... How are you finding A-levels so far? x3

Hi, fellow sixth formers! :-D So, the question is in the title, and I'm gonna get strrrraight to the point. :-D

I'm doing English Lit (AQA), French (AQA), Media Studies (WJEC), Psychology (AQA), and Polish (AQA). It's already October, and I still haven't experienced "the GCSE to AS-level jump". I mean, the small pile of work to finish have already became a mountain, but I'm still waiting for these A-levels to storm me out (I'm a masochist, I know). French is already hard, and it's considerably the most heavy in terms of workload, English Lit - not so much, Psychology feels yet easy, but that's due to the fact that our teacher had to leave, and we're still waiting for the new one to come in, and as for media... The real pain in the arse (coursework) haven't started yet so... I think we're so behind... And as for AS Polish, I'm already sick of having to write SO MANY essays for it.

So yeah... My A-level experience is yet quite dull, but I know that I'll be swimming in my own tears by half-term, due to the fact that I haven't started three of my a-levels properly yet (either that, or English lit is just so easy).

So... What are your experiences of sixth form so far? :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TeamRocket4ever
Hi, fellow sixth formers! :-D So, the question is in the title, and I'm gonna get strrrraight to the point. :-D

I'm doing English Lit (AQA), French (AQA), Media Studies (WJEC), Psychology (AQA), and Polish (AQA). It's already October, and I still haven't experienced "the GCSE to AS-level jump". I mean, the small pile of work to finish have already became a mountain, but I'm still waiting for these A-levels to storm me out (I'm a masochist, I know). French is already hard, and it's considerably the most heavy in terms of workload, English Lit - not so much, Psychology feels yet easy, but that's due to the fact that our teacher had to leave, and we're still waiting for the new one to come in, and as for media... The real pain in the arse (coursework) haven't started yet so... I think we're so behind... And as for AS Polish, I'm already sick of having to write SO MANY essays for it.

So yeah... My A-level experience is yet quite dull, but I know that I'll be swimming in my own tears by half-term, due to the fact that I haven't started three of my a-levels properly yet (either that, or English lit is just so easy).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Physics. It's not that bad actually more casual since there are free periods now. I'm just being killed with homework, tests and assignments every.single.day. The work isn't really that difficult or difficult to understand though. Physics is surprisingly easy right now it'll probably become harder.
I originally took Classics, Latin, Maths and French, but found French too much of a struggle within 3 lessons and swapped to Further Maths. I've experienced 'the jump' and it's HUGE. Just simply the amount of work you're expected to do in a short space of time is so much more this year! I do like having free periods though, and teachers tend to talk to you on a more equal level than during KS3 & 4. Also at my school there's no uniform/smart dress for sixth formers, so being able to come into school in hoodies and jeans every day is pretty cool.
Hi!
Unfortunately, I've experienced the "GCSE to AS level" jump :/. I'm studying English Lit, Maths, Sociology and Psychology, and I had particularly found with English Lit and Maths that there is such a big jump. Besides that, there is a lot of homework which becomes a mountain by the end of the week :eek: but other than that, it's going okay :-)
Reply 4
i am doing Art , Arabic, Maths and (was Business Studies but i swapped to further maths).

Maths is still pretty easy and i really enjoy it. Art is the same as GCSE ,so i am okay with it.
I didn't start further maths because i have t finish C1 first, and arabic is the easiest thing !! :biggrin:
I'm doing English Lit (AQA), French (AQA), Media Studies (WJEC), Psychology (AQA), and Polish (AQA). It's already October, and I still haven't experienced "the GCSE to AS-level jump". I mean, the small pile of work to finish have already became a mountain, but I'm still waiting for these A-levels to storm me out (I'm a masochist, I know). Posted from TSR Mobile

Most people feel the "jump" when they are doing STEM subjects, but you're not. I didn't do STEM subjects and I didn't feel the "jump" until exam season. But even then, the "jump" wasn't anything unbearable. You may feel the jump with English lit though, maybe not so much so for the others.

For context, I'm in year 13.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm doing maths, physics, chemistry and psychology. I'm finding maths kind of hard because I didn't exactly have the best teacher for GCSE and he only taught us the basics on surds, indices and factorising, so I'm having to catch up on all of that as well as learn the new content. Chemistry and physics are okay so far. I'm so glad I did triple science for gcse as otherwise I probably wouldn't have a clue about whats going on. Psychology seems fairly easy so far. Since we are currently doing research methods, it seems very similar to gcse sociology haha
I'm in year 13 rn
At AS for my two essay based subjects there was no jump at all but for biology and chemistry it was huge

But it's doable

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by angelcake123
Most people feel the "jump" when they are doing STEM subjects, but you're not. I didn't do STEM subjects and I didn't feel the "jump" until exam season. But even then, the "jump" wasn't anything unbearable. You may feel the jump with English lit though, maybe not so much so for the others.

For context, I'm in year 13.

Posted from TSR Mobile

what is the STEM subjects?
Original post by raghad.
what is the STEM subjects?

Biology, Chemistry, Physics and maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
You'll adapt (to the workload)(most likely). :smile:
Just do the work now, so you won't be a miserable bugger later in the year.
(As in won't be miserable about the work that has become your life.)

P.S. I'm in year 13, A2.

Original post by spiritless98
Biology, Chemistry, Physics and maths

Posted from TSR Mobile

...and Engineering.
targets too high = pressure

:sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm actually finding it okay, I had to do an essay for homework in sociology and I got a high B, so things must be going well! :wink: I do know that it will get much harder, but I'm finding it easy to handle so far!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm finding it alright actually...though when my teacher decided to have three tests fall on one day.....:woo:
I'm doing Maths, Physics and Computing (all AQA) and its going well tbh. We've had a ton of 'how do you feel about ____' talks with teachers and things, its starting to get annoying. The only real hard thing about this is that '2' questions are now like 5 parts in one question.
Geography, maths and biology are decent but chemistry is so difficult already:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maths -> lessons not too bad but I'm making some silly mistakes in C1 and that simply cannot be afforded in that unit. M1 and C2 is the time for silly mistakes. Coordinate geometry is disgusting.

Biology -> quite overwhelming but I'm getting my head down and doing the work so I shouldn't do too badly.

Politics -> really interesting, participating in the class A LOT and engaging in everything! Need to work on the essay questions and perfecting 5 mark questions to get full marks.

History -> my worst A-level, there is just so much content and I'm finding it really overwhelming. I got really, really positive feedback on my first essay but that's only one essay so I cannot judge my full ability on that.
Reply 17
Original post by jamestg
Maths -> lessons not too bad but I'm making some silly mistakes in C1 and that simply cannot be afforded in that unit. M1 and C2 is the time for silly mistakes. Coordinate geometry is disgusting.

Biology -> quite overwhelming but I'm getting my head down and doing the work so I shouldn't do too badly.

Politics -> really interesting, participating in the class A LOT and engaging in everything! Need to work on the essay questions and perfecting 5 mark questions to get full marks.

History -> my worst A-level, there is just so much content and I'm finding it really overwhelming. I got really, really positive feedback on my first essay but that's only one essay so I cannot judge my full ability on that.

yeah , you're right . coordinate geometry and sketching curve is really boring!! did you start sequences and series??
Original post by jamestg

Easiest part so far
I'm studying psychology, History, Business and biology. To be fair psychology is alright (we have cake during double lessons so that's always a bonus). History hasn't been much of a jump from gcse so far it is just new content, business so far hasn't been much of a step up just some new vocabulary yet again it is only the first unit and thats marketing so it's all cool. Biology now that has been a big jump, what I did at GCSE really doen't seem to work at Alevel and the school teaches it weirdly

Quick Reply

Latest