The Student Room Group

Any Ulster Loyalists on here?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Melancholy
It's a shame.

Do you prefer Protestants to Catholics?

Protestants, specifically High Church Anglicans.
Original post by Good bloke
Ulster contains nine counties, only six of which are in the UK.

Ulster is the territory on the island of Ireland which is currently part of the British nation state.
Original post by william walker
Protestants, specifically High Church Anglicans.

I find that many Catholics looks different to Protestants, but it makes sense genetically.
I find that many Catholics looks different to Protestants, but it makes sense genetically.

I haven't and I don't think that.
Ulster is the territory on the island of Ireland which is currently part of the British nation state.

What about Donegal?
I haven't and I don't think that.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
What about Donegal?

What about it?
What about it?

It's part of Ulster but not part of the UK. Same with Monaghan and Cavan.
Reply 48
Loyal Order parades, commemorations and celebrations of the Glorious Revolution and victories of the French in Ireland culminating in the Battle of the Boyne.

I'm really confused. Is this a political party of some sort? Why are you celebrating these victories of several hundred years ago? What does it have to do with anything?
Original post by DarkMagic
It's part of Ulster but not part of the UK. Same with Monaghan and Cavan.

As I said the territory within the island of Ireland which is still part of the British nation state is Ulster. I am a Loyalist and that is what Ulster is if you are a Loyalist. Otherwise Loyalists would be advocating that the British military invade the Irish state and take back what the Irish count as the three counties of Ulster which are within the Irish state. However Loyalists have let that go and now just seek to maintain what they have. We aren't expansionist like the Irish state and Republicans. :smile:
Reply 50
Just Googled it.

Ulster loyalism is a political ideology found primarily among working class Ulster Protestants in Northern Ireland.[1][2] Many Ulster Protestants are descendants of colonists from Britain. Like Ulster unionists(of which loyalists are a subset), loyalists are attached to the British monarchy, support the preservation of Northern Ireland, and oppose a united Ireland. Ulster loyalism has been described as a kind ofethnic nationalism[3] and "a variation of British nationalism".[4] It is strongly associated with paramilitarism.

Yeah sounds exactly what we f**king need.
As I said the territory within the island of Ireland which is still part of the British nation state is Ulster. I am a Loyalist and that is what Ulster is if you are a Loyalist. Otherwise Loyalists would be advocating that the British military invade the Irish state and take back what the Irish count as the three counties of Ulster which are within the Irish state. However Loyalists have let that go and now just seek to maintain what they have. We aren't expansionist like the Irish state and Republicans. :smile:

It's not expansionist to want back what is rightfully yours. If Loyalists want to be British so much, they can go back to where they came from.
Original post by JD1lla
I'm really confused. Is this a political party of some sort? Why are you celebrating these victories of several hundred years ago? What does it have to do with anything?

Because marks the defeat of the French and the creation of the Union within the British Isles. The Protestant ascendancy in Ireland, Penal Laws, securing the Protestant Monarchy, saving the plantation settlers and their civil and religious liberties at the expense of the non-Protestants. Basically for the Loyalists our entire life and existences comes from these victories mainly as Londonderry and the Boyne.

Out of this the British and Dutch alliance against the French leads to basically a stalemate in the 9 years war and then the victories of John Churchill in the War of Spanish succession, which broke the French and led to the British dominating the world within 60 years.

So the Glorious Revolution is the second most important event in human history.

Only by your twisted definition, which does not conform with normal parlance. But then loyalism is a twisted view of Britain anyway. You express your loyalty by behaving in ways that are anathema to those you are supposedly loyal to.

The sooner a referendum decides that NI will leave the UK the better as far as I am concerned. The loyalists are a backward looking embarrassment and encumbrance to Britain.
Original post by JD1lla
Just Googled it.

Ulster loyalism is a political ideology found primarily among working class Ulster Protestants in Northern Ireland.[1][2] Many Ulster Protestants are descendants of colonists from Britain. Like Ulster unionists(of which loyalists are a subset), loyalists are attached to the British monarchy, support the preservation of Northern Ireland, and oppose a united Ireland. Ulster loyalism has been described as a kind ofethnic nationalism[3] and "a variation of British nationalism".[4] It is strongly associated with paramilitarism.

Yeah sounds exactly what we f**king need.

Ulster Loyalism isn't a subset of Ulster Unionism. It is a separate thing. We don't support the Parliamentary Union. It isn't ethnic it is political, we support a political settlement called the English Bill of Rights. Nothing ethnic about it or religious for that matter.
Reply 55
Ulster Loyalism isn't a subset of Ulster Unionism. It is a separate thing. We don't support the Parliamentary Union. It isn't ethnic it is political, we support a political settlement called the English Bill of Rights. Nothing ethnic about it or religious for that matter.

I think you are born in the wrong century.
Original post by Good bloke
Only by your twisted definition, which does not conform with normal parlance. But then loyalism is a twisted view of Britain anyway. You express your loyalty by behaving in ways that are anathema to those you are supposedly loyal to.

The sooner a referendum decides that NI will leave the UK the better as far as I am concerned. The loyalists are a backward looking embarrassment and encumbrance to Britain.

No my definition is the only one which makes any sense in reality.

Again I am Loyal to the English Bill of Rights, Protestant Monarchy and Glorious Revolution.
Original post by DarkMagic
It's not expansionist to want back what is rightfully yours. If Loyalists want to be British so much, they can go back to where they came from.

Or we could stay where we are and have our own part of the world were we can live under our own laws. Have our civil and religious Liberty maintained. Which wouldn't happen in the Irish state or British government. So no we will stay and maintain ourselves as long as we can. :smile:
No my definition is the only one which makes any sense in reality.

Again I am Loyal to the English Bill of Rights, Protestant Monarchy and Glorious Revolution.

Yes. Your clock appears to be 325 years slow. Unfortunately Britain, and civilisation, has moved on.
Original post by JD1lla
I think you are born in the wrong century.

I know right. :colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending