The Student Room Group

Any Ulster Loyalists on here?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Good bloke
Yes. Your clock appears to be 325 years slow. Unfortunately Britain, and civilisation, has moved on.

You can't simply move on from the legacy of your ancestors who formed Britain and its institutions, who created civilisation itself. Who undertook the Enlightenment, Industrial Revolutions, who made the nation rich and powerful, who maintained their families and Liberty, who won victories and secured the nation so it may be at peace. We owe everything to them, we owe it to them to maintain their legacy. That is what Loyalists do. That is what everybody else doesn't understand.
Original post by william walker
You can't simply move on from the legacy of your ancestors who formed Britain and its institutions, who created civilisation itself. Who undertook the Enlightenment, Industrial Revolutions, who made the nation rich and powerful, who maintained their families and Liberty, who won victories and secured the nation so it may be at peace. We owe everything to them, we owe it to them to maintain their legacy. That is what Loyalists do. That is what everybody else doesn't understand.

Normal people do, and have. My ancestors had a system whereby many people were held in serfdom. Other ancestors would indulge themselves in human sacrifice. Others subjugated women. Others held that obedience to a mythical deity was important. None of them educated their children properly.

Fortunately, most of us have moved on from that, having developed our civilisation, leaving dinosaurs like you in the past.
Normal people do, and have. My ancestors had a system whereby many people were held in serfdom. Other ancestors would indulge themselves in human sacrifice. Others subjugated women. Others held that obedience to a mythical deity was important. None of them educated their children properly.

Fortunately, most of us have moved on from that, having developed our civilisation, leaving dinosaurs like you in the past.

You are rather bigoted, ignorant and closed minded. Also make an argument against me next time.
You are rather bigoted, ignorant and closed minded. Also make an argument against me next time.

I don't honestly need to argue against you. Your own words reveal your attitudes and outdated morality.
I don't honestly need to argue against you. Your own words reveal your attitudes and outdated morality.

Morality can't be outdated by its very nature. :doh:

So what are my attitudes then?
Original post by Saoirse:3
As someone from the bit of Ulster than is thankfully free from you - I'm loyal to that :wink:

go on yee good thing!
Original post by Celebi899
Out of curiosity William, what party do you vote for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

UKIP because I want to leave the EU.
Morality can't be outdated by its very nature.

Well, morality clearly changes over time so it can become outdated. We, as a society, no longer think slavery is morally right, do we? Yet your perfect forebears cooperated with Cromwell to send many Irish people to North America and Jamaica as slaves. Our moral attitudes have also changed towards homosexuality and even human sacrifice, which your ancestors most likely practised if you go back far enough.

We no longer think kings have a divine right to reign (though you may, in your time warp of a bubble), and women no longer give up their property to their husbands on marriage.

Yes, William, the world has moved on, but you and your ilk think you have a moral right to taunt your countrymen with victories won by your ancestors 325 years ago, and thereby destroy any chance of peaceful reconciliation.
Well, morality clearly changes over time so it can become outdated. We, as a society, no longer think slavery is morally right, do we? Yet your perfect forebears cooperated with Cromwell to send many Irish people to North America and Jamaica as slaves. Our moral attitudes have also changed towards homosexuality and even human sacrifice, which your ancestors most likely practised if you go back far enough.

We no longer think kings have a divine right to reign (though you may, in your time warp of a bubble), and women no longer give up their property to their husbands on marriage.

Yes, William, the world has moved on, but you and your ilk think you have a moral right to taunt your countrymen with victories won by your ancestors 325 years ago, and thereby destroy any chance of peaceful reconciliation.

No morality doesn't change. Nobody thought slavery or homosexuality was moral. Nobody thinks it is moral now. Morality doesn't change.

The divine right of kings was done away with by the Glorious Revolution. I hate the Queen and can't wait until Charles III takes the throne. You do know what marriage isn't don't you?

We think we have a moral right to religious Liberty. Don't think we have a moral right to do parades. You do know what morality is don't you?

:facepalm:
Probably not today as they are recovering from celebrating the non-sectarian football team win last night.
No morality doesn't change. Nobody thought slavery or homosexuality was moral. Nobody thinks it is moral now.

Nobody thinks homosexuality is moral? Your seventeenth century is showing.

If your definition of morality includes any mention of religion or religious documents then it doesn't accord with that of everyone else. Even atheists have morality.
Reply 71
No morality doesn't change. Nobody thought slavery or homosexuality was moral. Nobody thinks it is moral now. Morality doesn't change.

Yes they did (well the slave owners and their peers did) that was the point. Morality evolves and adapts. Loyalists don't.
Original post by jneill
Yes they did (well the slave owners and their peers did) that was the point. Morality evolves and adapts. Loyalists don't.

No they didn't. When did the Anglican Church support slavery? Say it was morally acceptable to enslave something else?
Original post by barnetlad
Probably not today as they are recovering from celebrating the non-sectarian football team win last night.

Indeed, a glorious victory. :h: Yeah non-sectarian apart from the Republicans who turn their back when the national anthem is being played.
Nobody thinks homosexuality is moral? Your seventeenth century is showing.

If your definition of morality includes any mention of religion or religious documents then it doesn't accord with that of everyone else. Even atheists have morality.

So you think homosexuality is a moral act?

In case you didn't know Britain has an Established Church. So...
Because marks the defeat of the French and the creation of the Union within the British Isles. The Protestant ascendancy in Ireland, Penal Laws, securing the Protestant Monarchy, saving the plantation settlers and their civil and religious liberties at the expense of the non-Protestants. Basically for the Loyalists our entire life and existences comes from these victories mainly as Londonderry and the Boyne.

Out of this the British and Dutch alliance against the French leads to basically a stalemate in the 9 years war and then the victories of John Churchill in the War of Spanish succession, which broke the French and led to the British dominating the world within 60 years.

So the Glorious Revolution is the second most important event in human history.

I think you're confusing your dates a bit. The Union between England and Scotland occurred in 1707, during Queen Anne's reign. But Ireland didn't join the Union until 1801, so no 'Union within the British Isles' occurred until the nineteenth century. Until then the plantation settlers lived in a separate kingdom to 'Britain' ,which the Kingdom of Ireland was part of as a personal union of crowns under the Stuart & later Hanoverian monarchies, but there was no formal political union until the nineteenth-century Act of Union.

Yes, I was aware, funnily enough. Its influence on morality in Britain is minimal and diminishing as we tread the inexorable path to a completely secular state.
So you think homosexuality is a moral act?

Anglicanism is the established church in England only. Scotland's established church is Presbyterian, and neither Wales nor Northern Ireland have an established church. So 'Britain' does not have an established church.
Original post by gutenberg
I think you're confusing your dates a bit. The Union between England and Scotland occurred in 1707, during Queen Anne's reign. But Ireland didn't join the Union until 1801, so no 'Union within the British Isles' occurred until the nineteenth century. Until then the plantation settlers lived in a separate kingdom to 'Britain' ,which the Kingdom of Ireland was part of as a personal union of crowns under the Stuart & later Hanoverian monarchies, but there was no formal political union until the nineteenth-century Act of Union.

Why let the historical truth stand in the way of a comfortable bit of bigotry?
Original post by gutenberg
Anglicanism is the established church in England only. Scotland's established church is Presbyterian, and neither Wales nor Northern Ireland have an established church. So 'Britain' does not have an established church.

Good point! He isn't doing too well with the supposed truths that underpin his world view, is he?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending