The Student Room Group

Any Ulster Loyalists on here?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Celebi899
Believe me, Armagh isn't really good, at least where I am 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where abouts you from?
I went to school in Armagh and it's actually a nice *city*
I'm actually from Tyrone 😂 but consider myself from Armagh and it's really pretty where I am
I

Posted from TSR Mobile
@william walker ignoring my post, again:

Original post by jneill
You can't have one (an Aristocracy) without the other (the loss of democratic representation for the populace).

So, ahem, BOOM!, the loyalist dream has gone.

And another thing, if the present monarchy disavowed loyalists where would that leave you? As Garret Fitzgerald argued, you aren't loyal to the Crown - you are loyal to your version of Ulster (an unauthentic planted colonial version that was forced upon the local population).

And that version would mean the renewed subjugation of the non-Anglican (e.g. mostly, but not only, catholics), non-"loyalist" population. It would effectively become a dictatorship (under one of your loyalist "aristocrats" ), disavowed by the British, and likely at war with the Irish.

Not very moral is it. (Except if you happen to be "loyalist":wink:
Original post by jneill
@william walker ignoring my post, again:

Your post was so all over the place and idiotic that I thought it best no to do so.
Original post by william walker
Your post was so all over the place and idiotic that I thought it best no to do so.

Ah go on. Go on. Go on. Go on.

I'll make it easy for you. 2 points:

a) If you have a restored Aristocracy in Ulster the rest of the populace *will* loose their democratic rights. They won't vote for that. Even those in the Shankill.

b) And if, by some miracle, you do "restore" a "loyalist" Ulster, by definition it must subjugate non-loyalist residents (e.g. most catholics) in the same way it did in C17&C18. How is that moral?
Well I'm not going to give specifics on here, but northern Armagh, and not the "city" 😂 some places are nice in Northern Ireland, your right, but the weather spoils it, and there's barely anything to do where I'm from :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

We must be from a very similar area 😂
Yeah the weather can suck sometimes but when it is nice, there are loads of lovely places to visit!
I live in the countryside, so there isn't much to do around me either except go on the lough and visit country parks (I don't mind as I like walking - I find it peaceful). I usually have to go into town for entertainment though... New cinema though 👌

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh your a country hecker, I'm a "townie" to you then 😂 Family's got a boat on the lough though :smile: and if your talking about that new cinema near the shopping centre, then yeah it's fantastic, no more trips to Lisburn 😂 don't you folks just go on your tractors 😂😅 jk 😆

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't have a tractor 😂😂
They are handy though if it snows
Love the new cinema though! £3 Tuesday plus the ticket gets you cheaper McDonalds. Life is good!
I used to live in town so I've loved both types of lives... Still prefer the country 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well there you go, I didn't really expect to meet someone from my general area on this, always thought most of this website was just English/Scottish/welsh 😂 I've only been to that cinema twice like, but you can't bait a good bargain! xD. And the country is nice at night, you can see all the stars :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know, you rarely find people from NI here never mind someone so close.
My only fault with the cinema is that they don't have proper slush puppies 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Really? Maintaining civil and religious Liberty is now a privilege?

You do know that the Republic of Ireland is a liberal democracy and not a totalitarian state, right? And would have been (and likely still would be) happy to let Northern Ireland retain devolved institutions upon unification?

What did the loyalists defend, anyway? At every step of the way, loyalist rejectionism produced a worse deal for their side. They brought down O'Neill for very mild reforms regarding civil and political equality for Catholics which would still have maintained Protestant majority rule. Then they brought down Sunningdale, which contained a much weaker role for Dublin than the GFA, as well as only implicit rather than mandatory power-sharing, and no requirement to officially acknowledge the Northern Irish Catholics' identification of Irish (e.g. official status for the Irish language, etc).
[video="youtube;GRuIBbm4kz0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRuIBbm4kz0[/video]
Given that culture is language, religion and environment the nations of the UK at the formation of the institutions of the British state were English speaking

Nope. Wales was not effectively Anglicised until the influx of English workers in the Industrial Revolution, and was majority Welsh-speaking as recently as the late 19th Century. Reliable stats for Scotland are harder to come by, but in 1755 23% of Scots were monolingual in Gaelic. Go back another 60 years, and add the bilinguals, and to call Scotland an "English-speaking country" would be simplistic at best and just plain wrong at worst. Ireland was majority Irish-speaking until the 19th century.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by anarchism101
Nope. Wales was not effectively Anglicised until the influx of English workers in the Industrial Revolution, and was majority Welsh-speaking as recently as the late 19th Century. Reliable stats for Scotland are harder to come by, but in 1755 23% of Scots were monolingual in Gaelic. Go back another 60 years, and add the bilinguals, and to call Scotland an "English-speaking country" would be simplistic at best and just plain wrong at worst. Ireland was majority Irish-speaking until the 19th century.

Yeah and why did all these places become English speaking, because the institutions of the nation state were English. Which was my entire point.
Yeah and why did all these places become English speaking, because the institutions of the nation state were English. Which was my entire point.

No, you said the nations were English-speaking.
No, you said the nations were English-speaking.

No I didn't.
No I didn't.

I've quoted you saying precisely that a few posts up.
I've quoted you saying precisely that a few posts up.

I was talking about the institutions.
I was talking about the institutions.

If you were, the sentence in question makes no sense gramatically. I find it far more likely that this is an ad hoc or retrospective attempted justification.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 156
Original post by gutenberg
Is Britain a nation state? There are four 'nations' within it...

Almost makes you think that nations don't exist and are really just a fairly ludicrous attempt to shoehorn complex identities into convenient labels...
Original post by L i b
Almost makes you think that nations don't exist and are really just a fairly ludicrous attempt to shoehorn complex identities into convenient labels...

Don't tell the loyalist that :wink:
Original post by gutenberg
Don't tell the loyalist that :wink:

Again I said nation state. Not nation.
Reply 159
Again I said nation state. Not nation.

A nation-state is an entity that is seen as both a "nation" and a state.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending