The Student Room Group

Need help with extracurricular activities!

Hi, I have been trying to research extracurricular activities I can do in order to stand out for a nutrition course at universities, I was thinking of working in a restaurantt, eventhough I did that in year 10 as part of my work experience, so does anyone have any other ideas as to what I could be doing to build up my CV? Please Help :confused::confused:
Reply 1
You could qualify as a personal trainer: http://www.exerciseregister.org/about-reps/reps-categories
I think as part of some of these qualifications you learn about Nutrition and Weight Management, so it's obviously relevant, but it's also something different, and could be a good source of income when you are at university.
EC's really aren't that important in a PS. Do wider reading instead.
Reply 3
I'm not in uni yet, I'm still doing A levels so I'm just wondering what I could be taking part in to give me a better chance at doing the nutrition course.
Original post by Sharminn
Hi, I have been trying to research extracurricular activities I can do in order to stand out for a nutrition course at universities, I was thinking of working in a restaurantt, eventhough I did that in year 10 as part of my work experience, so does anyone have any other ideas as to what I could be doing to build up my CV? Please Help :confused::confused:

You could try working in a cafe or restaurant? I know universities are quite impressed with saturday jobs, especially if you come form a privileged background because it shows you are still willing to work and not rely on your parents constantly. You could try doing more sport as well and link that to how it can improve your health or perhaps start clubs in school informing people on nutrition? I wouldn't dwell on extra curricular too much though as that can all be mentioned in your reference. Unless you can specifically link it to nutrition it is not an important factor in your PS. From the information I've gathered they want to get to know you and your views and how it can make a difference to their universitiy Hope that helps! xx
Reply 5
Original post by Melissa C
You could try working in a cafe or restaurant? I know universities are quite impressed with saturday jobs, especially if you come form a privileged background because it shows you are still willing to work and not rely on your parents constantly. You could try doing more sport as well and link that to how it can improve your health or perhaps start clubs in school informing people on nutrition? I wouldn't dwell on extra curricular too much though as that can all be mentioned in your reference. Unless you can specifically link it to nutrition it is not an important factor in your PS. From the information I've gathered they want to get to know you and your views and how it can make a difference to their universitiy Hope that helps! xx

Yeah thanks alot that's really useful help, I'll definitely try and do those things, and hopefully it will be enough, I already was doing a sport, so I was thinking of joining a club where I volunteer how to teach primary school children sporting activities will that be OK?
Original post by Sharminn
Yeah thanks alot that's really useful help, I'll definitely try and do those things, and hopefully it will be enough, I already was doing a sport, so I was thinking of joining a club where I volunteer how to teach primary school children sporting activities will that be OK?

yeah that would be perfect! also shows you can work with children of all ages! xx

Quick Reply

Latest