The Student Room Group

Why don't most females propose to males?

I do not understand the mindsets of a lot of females..

"I love my boyfriend, I want to marry my boyfriend so I'll wait for him to propose to me."

If you love someone and you want to marry them why don't they propose to their boyfriends?

I've heard from some females that if the male doesn't propose, they're not getting married. What on Earth?!

There's nothing strange about a woman going on one knee.

I've heard from a lot of females that it's the man's job. THAT'S SEXIST!

Anything a man can do a woman can do!

Why don't females take charge?

I would love to see my partner go down on one knee.

I would love to see her express her love for me and for her to tell me that she wants to spend her life with me!

I would LOVE to wear the ring!

I WANT to be the one to show it on Facebook!

Scroll to see replies

Almost everything to do with marrage is tradition (white dresses, flowers, cake, rings, suits etc) this is one of them.
The decision to marry is typically made long before the male proposes. It is often discussed at great length before a ring is even bought. Yes, it is typically the male who gets on one knee but that's just tradition. Some women decide to propose, but really, regardless of who gets on one knee it is a decision that is made long before the proposal in most cases.
Many men would feel emasculated by having a woman propose to them. We're living in a society where there is little to no difference between what a man and a woman could do - But some men don't feel like "men" if they have every traditional "man thing" taken from them - Proposing is one of them.
Reply 4
Tradition. Same reason people still pay thousands for marriages when it could be done for a fraction of the price down a registry office.
The word you are after is *women*. Females is a descriptive word - female goats, female dinosaurs, female humans. Otherwise you're after the word women.

I see no issue with proposing to a man at all. I proposed to my girlfriend but held on to the romantic notion of being proposed to for quite a while before I realised I wanted to be married and it didn't matter who asked who as long as it actually happened. I guess it's just traditions and expectations.
Original post by High Stakes
Many men would feel emasculated by having a woman propose to them. We're living in a society where there is little to no difference between what a man and a woman could do - But some men don't feel like "men" if they have every traditional "man thing" taken from them - Proposing is one of them.

This. I would never propose to a guy. Just doesn't feel right
Because traditionally, a wedding symbolised the passing on of the ownage of a woman; her dad owned her and in marriage her husband owns her. A woman wouldn't propose to a guy "hey you want to own me?". (Yes I know that it's now a symbol of love.)

It's a tradition that has stuck, despite other societal developments. Granted, some women would and do propose, but these are relatively few. I expect that as tradition becomes increasingly less important and forgotten, there will be more incidences of women proposing.
Original post by ParadoxSocks
The word you are after is *women*. Females is a descriptive word - female goats, female dinosaurs, female humans. Otherwise you're after the word women.

I see no issue with proposing to a man at all. I proposed to my girlfriend but held on to the romantic notion of being proposed to for quite a while before I realised I wanted to be married and it didn't matter who asked who as long as it actually happened. I guess it's just traditions and expectations.

Tbh i say male and female to refer to men and women in a non sexist way..

This is the one thing I don't understand.

Why/how would being proposed by a female make a male feel less of a man?l
By that logical females should all be offended that when their partners proposal to them..

Wouldn't/shouldn't he be happy that the female wants to sped the rest of her life with him?

I wouldn't feel "emasculated" just becuase my partner asked me to marry me.
Caling it a ale thing is sexist..a
The males are not having something taken away from them

It's like saying gays were "taking away" the meaning of marriage from non-gay couples.
s
It shouldn't really matter if a female proposes to a male.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Ilovehormones
This is the one thing I don't understand.

Why/how would being proposed by a female make a male feel less of a man?l
By that logical females should all be offended that when their partners proposal to them..

Wouldn't/shouldn't he be happy that the female wants to sped the rest of her life with him?

I wouldn't feel "emasculated" just becuase my partner asked me to marry me.

It shouldn't really matter if a female proposes to a mle.

Probably because you aren't aware of the long standing tradition behind marriage and where it originated from. For centuries, marriage was a sacred contract to be initiated by a man. He would ask for permission from his love interest's father. It's only in the last decade or so that we're actually becoming open to the idea of women proposing to men. If you go back to the 80's or 90's even, you'd be hard pressed to find much of these occurrences. Society is simply changing at an exponential rate.
Probably because you aren't aware of the long standing tradition behind marriage and where it originated from. For centuries, marriage was a sacred contract to be initiated by a man. He would ask for permission from his love interest's father. It's only in the last decade or so that we're actually becoming open to the idea of women proposing to men. If you go back to the 80's or 90's even, you'd be hard pressed to find much of these occurrences. Society is simply changing at an exponential rate.

I do know about the traditions that are in place in regards to marriage.
Just becuase something is traditional it doesn't mean that it should always happen.

ust be
Reply 12
I do not understand the mindsets of a lot of females..

"I love my boyfriend, I want to marry my boyfriend so I'll wait for him to propose to me."

If you love someone and you want to marry them why don't they propose to their boyfriends?

I've heard from some females that if the male doesn't propose, they're not getting married. What on Earth?!

There's nothing strange about a woman going on one knee.

I've heard from a lot of females that it's the man's job. THAT'S SEXIST!

Anything a man can do a woman can do!

Why don't females take charge?

I would love to see my partner go down on one knee.

I would love to see her express her love for me and for her to tell me that she wants to spend her life with me!

I would LOVE to wear the ring!

I WANT to be the one to show it on Facebook!

strong username to post content
Original post by MAINE.
strong username to post content

My love for hormones has nothing to do with my posts expect for my thread about hormones.
I do know about the traditions that are in place in regards to marriage.
Just becuase something is traditional it doesn't mean that it should always happen.

But it's the correct answer to your question. People are greatly affected by traditions in their culture. The whole wedding ceremony is a patriachal throw back- father giving his daughter away (in what other context would you say that!?), only men giving speeches.

If you aren't into tradition, there's no real point in having a wedding. Or even getting married at all, really.
X

Your name and your posts. Are you by any chance undergoing hormone treatment therapy, are you a transexual?

Asking to see if my deductive skills are sharp.
Original post by Mankytoes
But it's the correct answer to your question. People are greatly affected by traditions in their culture. The whole wedding ceremony is a patriachal throw back- father giving his daughter away (in what other context would you say that!?), only men giving speeches.

If you aren't into tradition, there's no real point in having a wedding. Or even getting married at all, really.

I rdo wish to be marred I just would love it if my partner asked me to marry her. It would mean a lot to me if she did it.
Your name and your posts. Are you by any chance undergoing hormone treatment therapy, are you a transexual?

Asking to see if my deductive skills are sharp.

No.. I wish to be an endocrinologist.
I rdo wish to be marred I just would love it if my partner asked me to marry her. It would mean a lot to me if she did it.

No.. I wish to be an endocrinologist.

Right, and why do you want to be married? Because it's a tradition in our society. Same reason people (not just females) expect the man to propose.
Original post by The_Internet
Tbh i say male and female to refer to men and women in a non sexist way..

But it's an adjective. Use our glorious language correctly *flaps*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ParadoxSocks
But it's an adjective. Use our glorious language correctly *flaps*

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you for saying this so I don't have to :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending