The Student Room Group

Official Unofficial Computer Science 2016 applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jabberjay_
Yep, C# is very similar, almost identical to java so its not too much of a challenge if you know java.

Yet to learn java,gonna do it once i give my ielts
Name - Ali
A2 Subjects Predicted Grades: A*A*A (Maths, Further Maths, Physics respectively)
AS Subjects Grades - AABBC (Maths, Physics, Computing, ICT, Economics, respectively. ICT done alongside GCSE's)
GCSE's Grades - 1A*, 5A, 3B, 1C, A in FSMQ Additional Maths.
Extra Curricular - Freestyle Football, extremely passionate about it. Used to love football, didn't have a happy ending.
Programming languages you know and to what level - Pascal, only AS Computing and a bit more >.>
Uni's Chosen: (in order of preference tbh)

Imperial
UCL
Bath
King's
Warwick
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by WhiteBerry.
If applying please state your:
Name - Ali
A2 Subjects Predicted Grades: A*A*A (Maths, Further Maths, Physics respectively)
AS Subjects Grades - AABBC (Maths, Physics, Computing, ICT, Economics, respectively. ICT done alongside GCSE's)
GCSE's Grades - 1A*, 5A, 3B, 1C, A in FSMQ Additional Maths.
Extra Curricular - Freestyle Football, extremely passionate about it. Used to love football, didn't have a happy ending.
Programming languages you know and to what level - Pascal, only AS Computing and a bit more >.>
Uni's Chosen: (Need to get rid of one of the last 3)
Cambridge [A*A*A] (know I won't get in but why not apply and pray for that 0.00001% chance?)
Imperial [A*AA]
UCL [A*AA]
Durham [AAA]
Bath [A*AB or AAA]
King's [AAB]

Does anyone have any advice as which university to get rid of from Durham, Bath and King's, in terms of employability and reputation only. :smile:

Are you doing A-level FM in a year? Also, what was your best 3 average UMS? Anything less than 85-88% is probably not going to result in an interview for Cam.

I'd keep KCL as a safe option and get rid of Durham, just because the course I feel isn't as flexible as other courses but it's your decision. On the other hand, you may end up choosing to get rid of KCL because you already have 2 London unis.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Name - Ryan
A2 Subjects Prediction - A*AA (Computing, Maths and Business)
AS Subjects Grades - AABBC (Computing, Business, Maths, English Language and General Studies)
GCSE's Grades - A*A*A*A*AAAABBB
Extra Curricular - Radio presenting, voice acting, owning a business (which involved developing an intuitive website), DofE award holder and charity activist (raised £800 with a 24 hour radio show for Teenage Cancer Trust).
Programming languages you know and to what level - Visual Basic (lol), Python, PHP, CSS, HTML and JS. Most competent at HTML5.
Uni's Chosen - Toss up between Warwick, Birmingham, Durham, Manchester, Nottingham and Sheffield. One needs to go! :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Princepieman
Are you doing A-level FM in a year? Also, what was your best 3 average UMS? Anything less than 85-88% is probably not going to result in an interview for Cam.

I'd keep KCL as a safe option and get rid of Durham, just because the course I feel isn't as flexible as other courses but it's your decision. On the other hand, you may end up choosing to get rid of KCL because you already have 2 London unis.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the reply,

Maths: 277/300 (really disappointed with C2 and M1)
Physics: 266/300
Computing: 141/200

The average of the percentages is 83.3. I'm not sure if I should include ICT in the calculations although it would bump it (insignificantly) to 85.3. It is worth noting that, as you asked, I have NOT done AS Further Maths, which would have significantly boosted my UMS. (70.5% vs an expected of 90+%) Yes, I am doing the full A Level in 1 year. Do you think that would be taken into consideration when considering UMS?
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks for the reply,

Maths: 277/300 (really disappointed with C2 and M1)
Physics: 266/300
Computing: 141/200

The average of the percentages is 83.3. I'm not sure if I should include ICT in the calculations although it would bump it (insignificantly) to 85.3. It is worth noting that, as you asked, I have NOT done AS Further Maths, which would have significantly boosted my UMS. (70.5% vs an expected of 90+%) Yes, I am doing the full A Level in 1 year. Do you think that would be taken into consideration when considering UMS?

Maths UMS is solid, but the other 2 are lagging behind quite considerably - especially Computing. If I'm perfectly honest, I wouldn't recommend applying to Cam with a UMS average of 83%, there are just too many applicants with 90%+ that an interview would seem unlikely. Unless of course there were some mitigating circumstances behind the lower UMS.

If you're ok with prepping for the MAT, Oxford might be a better bet.

I think they only use the UMS you have in hand to create their ranking, so no I don't think A-level FM would be taken into account for UMS calculations.

When in doubt, just call up the admissions team and state your case, they're always the best port of call.
Maths UMS is solid, but the other 2 are lagging behind quite considerably - especially Computing. If I'm perfectly honest, I wouldn't recommend applying to Cam with a UMS average of 83%, there are just too many applicants with 90%+ that an interview would seem unlikely. Unless of course there were some mitigating circumstances behind the lower UMS.

If you're ok with prepping for the MAT, Oxford might be a better bet.

I think they only use the UMS you have in hand to create their ranking, so no I don't think A-level FM would be taken into account for UMS calculations.

When in doubt, just call up the admissions team and state your case, they're always the best port of call.

I haven't completed C3 or C4 and my Maths teacher strongly discouraged me from doing the MAT for this reason, as well as due to the fact that he said I would need several months of preparation and 2 months weren't enough (I asked him in September). I mean I could still try to do it but I don't think I would be able to. I'm extremely confused at this point :/

Also, what I meant to say is do you think they will only take into account the best two subjects I've done given that I haven't done an AS in the third?
(edited 8 years ago)
I haven't completed C3 or C4 and my Maths teacher strongly discouraged me from doing the MAT for this reason, as well as due to the fact that he said I would need several months of preparation and 2 months weren't enough (I asked him in September). I mean I could still try to do it but I don't think I would be able to. I'm extremely confused at this point :/

Also, what I meant to say is do you think they will only take into account the best two subjects I've done given that I haven't done an AS in the third?

Just did a quick calculation and your best 3 is actually above 85% so I'd give it a shot anyway.
Just did a quick calculation and your best 3 is actually above 85% so I'd give it a shot anyway.

Thank you so much, I felt so shattered because I was expecting really high in Economics (got an A in every test and mocks, expected 85% easily and then came out with a C). Really man, it means a lot :smile: I don't expect to get in but at least knowing I'm not automatically ruled out is something.
Original post by ryanroks1

Extra Curricular - Radio presenting, voice acting, owning a business (which involved developing an intuitive website), DofE award holder and charity activist (raised £800 with a 24 hour radio show for Teenage Cancer Trust).(

Whoa you raised money for a cancer trust!!!!! Thats really good.Cancer patients are looked down in my city.Hey but surviving as a blonde white Catholic in India,count as an achievement.😂😂😂😂😂
Lol.just kidding.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you so much, I felt so shattered because I was expecting really high in Economics (got an A in every test and mocks, expected 85% easily and then came out with a C). Really man, it means a lot :smile: I don't expect to get in but at least knowing I'm not automatically ruled out is something.

There's a thread run by an admission tutor from cambridge where you can ask questions about your specific circumstances. I did myself and got answers specific to me. If you want, post all your results there to get advice. The thread is called 'Ask an Admissions Tutor VIII - 28 September - 2 October'.
Good luck!
Original post by ¡Muy bien!
There's a thread run by an admission tutor from cambridge where you can ask questions about your specific circumstances. I did myself and got answers specific to me. If you want, post all your results there to get advice. The thread is called 'Ask an Admissions Tutor VIII - 28 September - 2 October'.
Good luck!

Haha doesn't the title itself say 2nd october? xD
Haha doesn't the title itself say 2nd october? xD

He's decided to continue it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are most people on this thread applying for a course with industrial experience? I'm a bit unsure but I've been advised to apply for it anyway since it's easier to get out of it than it is to 'opt in' once you've started uni.

Whilst the experience will obviously be beneficial, I can't help but think I'd get the same out of a summer internship which would come with much less hassle.
Are most people on this thread applying for a course with industrial experience? I'm a bit unsure but I've been advised to apply for it anyway since it's easier to get out of it than it is to 'opt in' once you've started uni.

Whilst the experience will obviously be beneficial, I can't help but think I'd get the same out of a summer internship which would come with much less hassle.

I don't, I prefer to finish a year earlier and get a job with a possibly higher salary. Also, I may not be able to get back to 'study mood' after the year finishes. If you do want to go for it, check whether you still have to pay tuition fees for that year.
I don't, I prefer to finish a year earlier and get a job with a possibly higher salary. Also, I may not be able to get back to 'study mood' after the year finishes. If you do want to go for it, check whether you still have to pay tuition fees for that year.

Tuition drops to £1250 or so for anyone on a year abroad or a year in industry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its better to get in with industrial experience because you get paid and with experience its easier to get a job and salaries are higher
Tuition drops to £1250 or so for anyone on a year abroad or a year in industry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is it the same for all universities? I thought for example that manchester asked for more, though I haven't bothered checking thoroughly tbh haha
Is it the same for all universities? I thought for example that manchester asked for more, though I haven't bothered checking thoroughly tbh haha

As far as I'm aware, yes. Althought there might be a slight difference of ~£50-100 but dunno for sure.

1250 is a bit high.it ranges from 450-1000 usually.Even surrey charges ,978 during the placment year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending