The Student Room Group

Official Unofficial Computer Science 2016 applicants

Scroll to see replies

Manchester is £1,800! I don't understand how they can justify it, but ah well...
Reply 41
Name - Jordan
A2 Subjects Prediction - A*AA (Maths, Chemistry, Geography)
AS Subjects Grades - AAAB (Maths, Geography, Psychology, Chemistry)
GCSE's Grades -4 A*s, 7 As, 1 B
Extra Curricular -Formatinng webpages for my mum's business, configuring a school network at my old primary school, video editing, building computers.
Programming languages you know and to what level -Python and HTML (quite familiar)
Uni's Chosen (still need to choose 2 more):
- Oxford
- Loughborough
- Swansea (Insurance)

But yeah I don't know if my courses really lend themselves to computer science, but Computing or IT were not options at my school unfortunately and I really regret not taking Further Maths.
Original post by nadrxj
Name - Jordan
A2 Subjects Prediction - A*AA (Maths, Chemistry, Geography)
AS Subjects Grades - AAAB (Maths, Geography, Psychology, Chemistry)
GCSE's Grades -4 A*s, 7 As, 1 B
Extra Curricular -Formatinng webpages for my mum's business, configuring a school network at my old primary school, video editing, building computers.
Programming languages you know and to what level -Python and HTML (quite familiar)
Uni's Chosen (still need to choose 2 more):
- Oxford
- Loughborough
- Swansea (Insurance)

But yeah I don't know if my courses really lend themselves to computer science, but Computing or IT were not options at my school unfortunately and I really regret not taking Further Maths.

How are you finding MAT prep?

Deffo look at UCL, Bristol, Bath, Nottingham, Southampton, KCL, Sheffield, Birmingham and Manchester.

You have Maths + a physical science, there's nothing to worry about! Ideally though, I'd recommend doing AS Further Maths this year.

Computing isn't required and doesn't really translate that well, IT is not relevant in the slightest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
Original post by Princepieman
How are you finding MAT prep?

Deffo look at UCL, Bristol, Bath, Nottingham, Southampton, KCL, Sheffield, Birmingham and Manchester.

You have Maths + a physical science, there's nothing to worry about! Ideally though, I'd recommend doing AS Further Maths this year.

Computing isn't required and doesn't really translate that well, IT is not relevant in the slightest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In terms of MAT Prep I am just challenging myself with the toughest C3 and C4 questions, I can't think of anything else to do, the MAT questions are very open.

I have definitely considered Southampton and Nottingham but the problem is I haven't visited many open days :s-smilie:

Its promising to hear that I don't need Computing and IT, I was looking at taking AS Further Maths but I don't know if I can self teach myself very well.
Original post by nadrxj
In terms of MAT Prep I am just challenging myself with the toughest C3 and C4 questions, I can't think of anything else to do, the MAT questions are very open.

I have definitely considered Southampton and Nottingham but the problem is I haven't visited many open days :s-smilie:

Its promising to hear that I don't need Computing and IT, I was looking at taking AS Further Maths but I don't know if I can self teach myself very well.

Ooh, where are you getting the difficult questions from? I've just been focusing on the IYGB C1/C2 papers, STEP 1 and some UKMT papers. Looking through the syllabus, it seems the MAT is mostly just C1/C2 content (+ a few extras), not sure if I should maybe do some difficult C3/C4 Qs.

Southampton has an amazing course and department, but I personally chose Nottingham for their new Data Science course.

I'd say go for it! FP1 is easy enough to pick up, then S1 + D1 are also quite straight forward.

Which college are you applying to btw?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Damn, the grades you guys got predicted and your extra curricular activities is making me reconsider my uni choices :/
A2 Subjects Prediction -
Maths - A*
Physics - A*
Further Maths - A

AS Subjects Grades -
Maths - A (279/300)
Further Maths - A (244/300)
Physics - A (247/300)
Chemistry - B (dropped)

GCSE's Grades -
9 A*s, 4 As, 2 Bs, 1 C (FSMQ)

Extra Curricular -
Former library monitor, help out with websites and give tech support when available, learning Japanese, debating politics.

Programming languages you know and to what level -
Visual Basic (rusty on it, not touched it since Year 11 Computing)
HTML/CSS (intermediate)
Lua (basic)
Touhou Danmakufu (advanced)

Uni's Chosen -

Imperial (A*AA requirement)
UCL (A*AA)
Exeter (AAA-AAB)
King's (AAB)
St. Andrews (AAB) (unsure about this one)

Any other unis I should consider?
Reply 47
Ooh, where are you getting the difficult questions from? I've just been focusing on the IYGB C1/C2 papers, STEP 1 and some UKMT papers. Looking through the syllabus, it seems the MAT is mostly just C1/C2 content (+ a few extras), not sure if I should maybe do some difficult C3/C4 Qs.

Southampton has an amazing course and department, but I personally chose Nottingham for their new Data Science course.

I'd say go for it! FP1 is easy enough to pick up, then S1 + D1 are also quite straight forward.

Which college are you applying to btw?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I use the 'gold' papers from this website, they are grouped according to difficulty so its perfect for practice.
http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/a-level-maths-papers/c4-edexcel-bronze-silver-gold/

Its quite comforting to know it appears to be just C1/C2 content.

The problem with the modules is that I purposely avoided M1 last year and I do not want to take it as I know I will struggle. I am doing D1 this year with my C3 and C4 modules. Last year I did S1 and managed to get 94/100 UMS which I was proud of.

I was thinking about applying to either St Annes or Keble, but I am still undecided.
Reply 48
Name: O na na!

A2 Subjects Prediction: AAAA (or AAAB)

AS Subjects Grades: Maths A, Sociology A, German A, History B. This year I'm doing AS Further Maths and Spanish.

GCSE's Grades: Null. Haven't done GCSE.

Extra Curricular: Administering a charity website, fixing its UI bugs, maths and IT olympiads, speeches and articles on Artificial Intelligence, European Youth Parliament (a tech-related debate), Student Council, Student Ambassador, participation in musicals, choir singer, LAMDA public speaking exam. Also read cool books and learnt a few languages on my own.

Programming languages: Pascal intermediate, C++ intermediate, HTML and CSS (if you wish to consider those programming languages) fairly fluent, Javascript beginner, MySQL beginner.

Applied to: Oxford, St. Andrews, Edinburgh, Manchester, Glasgow. All for CS w/ Philosophy or Artificial Intelligence. I don't think I stand a chance at Oxford, I'm really aiming at St. Andrews, but it's worth trying!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by nadrxj
I use the 'gold' papers from this website, they are grouped according to difficulty so its perfect for practice.
http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/a-level-maths-papers/c4-edexcel-bronze-silver-gold/

Its quite comforting to know it appears to be just C1/C2 content.

The problem with the modules is that I purposely avoided M1 last year and I do not want to take it as I know I will struggle. I am doing D1 this year with my C3 and C4 modules. Last year I did S1 and managed to get 94/100 UMS which I was proud of.

I was thinking about applying to either St Annes or Keble, but I am still undecided.

Ah, great, thanks for the link!

Mainly yeah, the CS applicant specifc questions are completely different however, they seem to be more logic based than anything.

Hmm, I see where you're coming from. What about doing S2 and D2 instead?

(St Anne's is my college of choice therefore to reduce the competition I would advise Keble :tongue:) Nah, it'd be great to have another St Anne's applicant to speak to.
A2 Subjects Prediction: A*A*A* (Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry)
AS Subjects Grades - AAAA (Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Geography)
GCSE's Grades - 5A* 5A 1B Dist*
Extra Curricular - nothing too significant
Programming languages you know and to what level - bits of java and python
Uni's Chosen -
Imperial
Warwick (offered aaa)
Bristol
Birmingham
Nottingham
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 51

Cool. Is that for this spring (before you start university or while you're on first year?)
Also, is worth considering computer and Management sciences at Warwick. They apparently have finance modules. First 2 years are computer science. Final year is whatever business topics you opt for. Opinions on this course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by A47
Cool. Is that for this spring (before you start university or while you're on first year?)
Also, is worth considering computer and Management sciences at Warwick. They apparently have finance modules. First 2 years are computer science. Final year is whatever business topics you opt for. Opinions on this course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

First year of uni, so 2017.

Nah, don't really care for finance modules man - that stuff is taught to you at the bank anyway. Just choose whichever course interests you (for me that's the Data Science one at Warwick) and try to get into a target/semi-target. Warwick has been absoultelu destroying it lately with the numbers it gets into IB.

End of the day, your degree + grade is there to tick a box.

Nah, don't really care for finance modules man - that stuff is taught to you at the bank anyway. Just choose whichever course interests you (for me that's the Data Science one at Warwick) and try to get into a target/semi-target. Warwick has been absoultelu destroying it lately with the numbers it gets into IB.

How are the data science modules at warwick and nottingham.I mean what does the syllabus consist of?
Original post by jontyfernz
How are the data science modules at warwick and nottingham.I mean what does the syllabus consist of?

Mix of Maths, Stats and Computer Science (mostly AI, Machine Learning, etc).
Reply 55

Oh, fair play. I think computer and Management science is the one for me (hopefully at Warwick)
How did you secure an internship so early? I've been trying with gold man sachs for the summer internship (once first year of is completed) but they haven't responded.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by A47
Oh, fair play. I think computer and Management science is the one for me (hopefully at Warwick)
How did you secure an internship so early? I've been trying with gold man sachs for the summer internship (once first year of is completed) but they haven't responded.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did an insight programme in August, got fast tracked.

You apply to GS' spring internship (along with all the other banks) in the autumn of first year. If you get a place on a spring week, you'll have the opportunity to get fast tracked to the summer internship (literally just after the spring week is done) for the following summer. Subsequently, summer to grad scheme.

No point applying to GS or anywhere else now, because it'll just get put in the bin. Focus on doing insight programmes if you're in year 13/on a gap year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
Did an insight programme in August, got fast tracked.

You apply to GS' spring internship (along with all the other banks) in the autumn of first year. If you get a place on a spring week, you'll have the opportunity to get fast tracked to the summer internship (literally just after the spring week is done) for the following summer. Subsequently, summer to grad scheme.

No point applying to GS or anywhere else now, because it'll just get put in the bin. Focus on doing insight programmes if you're in year 13/on a gap year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will look into them . Thanks for the advice 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
Has anyone applied to Durham or Imperial? I sent my application off over a week ago and they still haven't sent an acknowledgement email :/
Mix of Maths, Stats and Computer Science (mostly AI, Machine Learning, etc).

Not for me,cs with management,cs with philosophy or cs with a language is more like my cup of tea

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest