The Student Room Group

Official Unofficial Computer Science 2016 applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Is it true that if you do a joint honours with computer science, u don't get the cbs certificate/qualification? If it is, does that mean I will be disadvantaged?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by A47
Is it true that if you do a joint honours with computer science, u don't get the cbs certificate/qualification? If it is, does that mean I will be disadvantaged?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not disadvantaged.Different would be the right word

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by A47

Posted from TSR Mobile

No. BCS doesn't really matter tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
Original post by jontyfernz
Not disadvantaged.Different would be the right word

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Princepieman
No. BCS doesn't really matter tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do most employers require that qualification, if for instance I was looking for a job in the field afterwards?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by A47
Do most employers require that qualification, if for instance I was looking for a job in the field afterwards?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No. The 'field' is software engineering, data analysis, research etc, they don't care. It's not like engineering where you definitely need accreditation to make Chartered Engineer (usually demanding a bump in salary) at startups and large employers, it's just not the case. What matters more is your skillset and how good you are at a job, that is what will determine your salary progression.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
No. The 'field' is software engineering, data analysis, research etc, they don't care. It's not like engineering where you definitely need accreditation to make Chartered Engineer (usually demanding a bump in salary) at startups and large employers, it's just not the case. What matters more is your skillset and how good you are at a job, that is what will determine your salary progression.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool. Was just wondering, as one of the fall back options I may have if I don't get into IB.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by A47
Cool. Was just wondering, as one of the fall back options I may have if I don't get into IB.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same, you looking into IBD or S&T?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67
Same, you looking into IBD or S&T?

Posted from TSR Mobile

IBD so far, but having ruled out s&t.
I feel that IBD is a bit more secure and isn't so much performance based.
However, I do enjoy trading and analysing charts, but it's a lot tougher to get into. Plus, can be very harsh if you have one too many 'off' days.

What about yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by A47
IBD so far, but having ruled out s&t.
I feel that IBD is a bit more secure and isn't so much performance based.
However, I do enjoy trading and analysing charts, but it's a lot tougher to get into. Plus, can be very harsh if you have one too many 'off' days.

What about yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile

IBD but ideally, consulting at McKinsey, Bain or BCG would be better but the success rates for those firms are tiny.

Mainly wanting to get into tech/TMT coverage because there's more scope to then slot into tech PE, VC or corp dev at solid tech company - lends itself better to a CS background. Plus, having looked through the backgrounds of many successful C-suiters, they all seem to have gotten a start in either IBD, top tier consulting or some kind of leadership development programme.

The work is pretty interesting too as you're basically deep diving into a company's financials and plotting a 'growth' story whether it be with financing or M&A. Solid intro into business overall.

You could always hop to a Hedge Fund after some time in IBD if you prefer a more markets based role. You thought about Research? It's seems like a good mix of analysis and working within the markets.

(I'm still toying with trying out structured derivatives trading or algo trading)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 69
IBD but ideally, consulting at McKinsey, Bain or BCG would be better but the success rates for those firms are tiny.

Mainly wanting to get into tech/TMT coverage because there's more scope to then slot into tech PE, VC or corp dev at solid tech company - lends itself better to a CS background. Plus, having looked through the backgrounds of many successful C-suiters, they all seem to have gotten a start in either IBD, top tier consulting or some kind of leadership development programme.

The work is pretty interesting too as you're basically deep diving into a company's financials and plotting a 'growth' story whether it be with financing or M&A. Solid intro into business overall.

You could always hop to a Hedge Fund after some time in IBD if you prefer a more markets based role. You thought about Research? It's seems like a good mix of analysis and working within the markets.

(I'm still toying with trying out structured derivatives trading or algo trading)

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you want to get into hedge fund (which is extremely difficult) working in s&t as opposed to IBD will improve your chances of landing the job in that sector. Or if you know people working there, which will provide a boost.

I may need to look into 'research' a little more then.

Im currently trying to find some insight programmes, so it'll be easier for me to secure an internship at uni. I already have some work experience at RBS from school (just working with business managers and so on) nothing in the actual IB field. Will this help me get into an insight programme? Where would you recommend I look, and is it easy to get into one ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by A47
If you want to get into hedge fund (which is extremely difficult) working in s&t as opposed to IBD will improve your chances of landing the job in that sector. Or if you know people working there, which will provide a boost.

I may need to look into 'research' a little more then.

Im currently trying to find some insight programmes, so it'll be easier for me to secure an internship at uni. I already have some work experience at RBS from school (just working with business managers and so on) nothing in the actual IB field. Will this help me get into an insight programme? Where would you recommend I look, and is it easy to get into one ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not true, Long/Short or Value funds almost exclusively take on research and IBD guys, the quant people or macro (currencies, interest rates etc) are more suited to funds that make use of those styles. HFs differ by the strategy and product the fund uses, hence your exit opps will be determined by how your experience matches up with that. This is what I've gleaned from friends in the industry/my own research at least/

Yeah, HFs are quite secretive but generally the best performers at the banks get headhunted via recruiters, slotting them into the recruitment process.

Deffo apply to the insight days/programmes next year: JPMorgan, HSBC, Nomura, Credit Suisse, RBS, Morgan Stanley and BAML all hold them for year 13s/gap year students. I did RBS' in August (have a pending offer for the Spring Week in 2017, on a gap year right now), IIRC Credit Suisse and Nomura also fast track people for spring weeks.

When you start uni next year, apply to spring weeks (easter internships usually 1-2 weeks long) as they're the effective start of the funnel to a grad scheme - you'll get fast tracked for an internship then subsequently offered a job if you perform well throughout.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 71
Not true, Long/Short or Value funds almost exclusively take on research and IBD guys, the quant people or macro (currencies, interest rates etc) are more suited to funds that make use of those styles. HFs differ by the strategy and product the fund uses, hence your exit opps will be determined by how your experience matches up with that. This is what I've gleaned from friends in the industry/my own research at least/

Yeah, HFs are quite secretive but generally the best performers at the banks get headhunted via recruiters, slotting them into the recruitment process.

Deffo apply to the insight days/programmes next year: JPMorgan, HSBC, Nomura, Credit Suisse, RBS, Morgan Stanley and BAML all hold them for year 13s/gap year students. I did RBS' in August (have a pending offer for the Spring Week in 2017, on a gap year right now), IIRC Credit Suisse and Nomura also fast track people for spring weeks.

When you start uni next year, apply to spring weeks (easter internships usually 1-2 weeks long) as they're the effective start of the funnel to a grad scheme - you'll get fast tracked for an internship then subsequently offered a job if you perform well throughout.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can't I apply for them this academic year? Im on a gap year aswel, but im studying all of A level Maths at the same time :smile: how long do the programmes usually last and are they easy to get into?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by A47
Can't I apply for them this academic year? Im on a gap year aswel, but im studying all of A level Maths at the same time :smile: how long do the programmes usually last and are they easy to get into?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can apply for Nomura's but the others usually take place in July-August so apps won't have opened yet.

RBS was 2 days, Nomura is 3 days and the rest are 1 day I think - BAML might be 2 days.

The 1 day ones are fairly easy to get into but Nomura's and RBS are a bit more difficult. RBS because they make you do psychometric tests (judgement, numerical and logical) before getting a place. To give you an idea of the competition, the unis people firmed when I went were: Oxbridge, Warwick, UCL, LSE, Nottingham and Bristol.

Good luck btw! I'm sitting Maths, Further Maths and Econ full A-levels in a year, we're in a similar boat. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 73
You can apply for Nomura's but the others usually take place in July-August so apps won't have opened yet.

RBS was 2 days, Nomura is 3 days and the rest are 1 day I think - BAML might be 2 days.

The 1 day ones are fairly easy to get into but Nomura's and RBS are a bit more difficult. RBS because they make you do psychometric tests (judgement, numerical and logical) before getting a place. To give you an idea of the competition, the unis people firmed when I went were: Oxbridge, Warwick, UCL, LSE, Nottingham and Bristol.

Good luck btw! I'm sitting Maths, Further Maths and Econ full A-levels in a year, we're in a similar boat. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay thanks. Warwick is my first choice (hopefully I get an offer and an A in Maths) Birmingham is second. Is it better if I change Birmingham for Nottingham or Bristol, as it supposedly isn't a 'target uni'?

Omg how are you coping with 3 new subjects? Are you taking OCR for Maths? I am just taking one new subject but im working at the same time, so I am just about squashing everything in.

Good luck with your 3 full A levels (must be working extremely hard)

What uni you planning on firming?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by A47
Okay thanks. Warwick is my first choice (hopefully I get an offer and an A in Maths) Birmingham is second. Is it better if I change Birmingham for Nottingham or Bristol, as it supposedly isn't a 'target uni'?

Omg how are you coping with 3 new subjects? Are you taking OCR for Maths? I am just taking one new subject but im working at the same time, so I am just about squashing everything in.

Good luck with your 3 full A levels (must be working extremely hard)

What uni you planning on firming?

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol, they aren't new! I did Maths (the Scottish equiv of A2) last year but decided to go for A-level this year as it covered a few more topics. I basically know all of C1-4, FP1-3 and M1 already so I'm just doing past papers from all boards, STEP papers, etc before I focus on the recent ones for my board (Edexcel) in April ish time. I'm only really learning D2, S1/2 and M2. Econ is completely new tho.

I work part time too haha

I'd personally choose Bristol or Notts yeah, just because their finance societies are sponsored by some pretty massive names. At the end of the day though, it's a personal decision - people from Birmingham are in IB.

Oxford (LOL if I actually get an offer), UCL or Warwick, Bristol or Notts as insurance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 75
lol, they aren't new! I did Maths (the Scottish equiv of A2) last year but decided to go for A-level this year as it covered a few more topics. I basically know all of C1-4, FP1-3 and M1 already so I'm just doing past papers from all boards, STEP papers, etc before I focus on the recent ones for my board (Edexcel) in April ish time. I'm only really learning D2, S1/2 and M2. Econ is completely new tho.

I work part time too haha

I'd personally choose Bristol or Notts yeah, just because their finance societies are sponsored by some pretty massive names. At the end of the day though, it's a personal decision - people from Birmingham are in IB.

Oxford (LOL if I actually get an offer), UCL or Warwick, Bristol or Notts as insurance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh LOOL. Not as bad as I thought, but still alot of work.
Yh I may aswel stick in an application for Nottingham and consider whether it put it above Birmingham later on in the year.
Oxford! wow, Would be amazing if you get in. Good luck. No harm in trying

Posted from TSR Mobile
A2 Subjects Prediction - (Indian CBSE) English: 90 Maths: 98 Computer Science: 98 Physics: 93 Chemistry: 90
AS Subjects Grades - Not applicable
GCSE's Grades - English: 90 Maths: 93 Computer Applications: 98 Science: 83 Social Studies: 88 Hindi: 86
Extra Curricular - Inter and intra school quizzes, top ranks and cash scholarships for national talent search exams. Nothing special.
Programming languages you know and to what level - C++ and Java (basic) and Python(self taught, and relatively more advanced)
Uni's Chosen - Oxford/Edinburgh/UCL/KCL/Imperial

My Extra Curricular is nowhere near the other applicants. Neither would my personal statement be comparable to them. Seems like I don't even have a chance.
Reply 77
Just got my welcome letter, well excited!

Personal info: British citizen living in Singapore as a permanent resident
IB highers - Maths, Physics, English (7,7,6) Total: 41
GCSE Grades - 4A's 4B's 1C
Extra Curricular - Basketball for school team, NYAA (DOE equivalent) Bronze, Silver and Gold. Climbed 2 mountains, co-started school chess CCA, social service for underprivileged children, National service for Singapore (won an award for best trainee out 640 recruits)
A-level - Taking A-level maths to show i still have the knowledge since i would have spent the last 2 years in national service by the time i start uni. Predicted A*.
Programming languages you know and to what level - Python, C++
Uni's Chosen - Imperial, UCL, Warwick, Durham, Southampton

Is it common for universities to reply before the January deadline?
Original post by Synikk

Is it common for universities to reply before the January deadline?

They answer way before, usually between 2-3 weeks after you sent. My friend got an answer (with offer) to king's in just a week
Original post by Pungolini
They answer way before, usually between 2-3 weeks after you sent. My friend got an answer (with offer) to king's in just a week

Hi, was your friend's offer from King's for Computer Science by any chance?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending