The Student Room Group

Official Unofficial Computer Science 2016 applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NHarmonia
A2 Subjects Prediction - (Indian CBSE) English: 90 Maths: 98 Computer Science: 98 Physics: 93 Chemistry: 90
AS Subjects Grades - Not applicable
GCSE's Grades - English: 90 Maths: 93 Computer Applications: 98 Science: 83 Social Studies: 88 Hindi: 86
Extra Curricular - Inter and intra school quizzes, top ranks and cash scholarships for national talent search exams. Nothing special.
Programming languages you know and to what level - C++ and Java (basic) and Python(self taught, and relatively more advanced)
Uni's Chosen - Oxford/Edinburgh/UCL/KCL/Imperial

My Extra Curricular is nowhere near the other applicants. Neither would my personal statement be comparable to them. Seems like I don't even have a chance.

CBSE people get rejected easily at oxbridge.You need to prove you have an aptitude for CS.That would help.Also i would recommend you to choose one or two mid level universities.Not to offend your choices but just that you have a safe choice if you get rejected by others.

Good to see someone from India going for a UG though.We could probably meet as i have zoned in on KCL as they are giving me 2nd year entry provided i get 75% in my fy or else if above 65% first year entry at kings
(edited 8 years ago)
Have you seen the new "computer science and innovation" course in Uni of Bristol? Seens very interesting to be honest
Original post by Pungolini
Have you seen the new "computer science and innovation" course in Uni of Bristol? Seens very interesting to be honest

What does it have?

Edit:Just saw it.Pretty good course.But they will need a good application where your liking for cs matters.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jontyfernz
CBSE people get rejected easily at oxbridge.You need to prove you have an aptitude for CS.That would help.Also i would recommend you to choose one or two mid level universities.Not to offend your choices but just that you have a safe choice if you get rejected by others.

Good to see someone from India going for a UG though.We could probably meet as i have zoned in on KCL as they are giving me 2nd year entry provided i get 75% in my fy or else if above 65% first year entry at kings

I guess MAT would be the only way to prove that now. Also, I didn't choose mid level universities, as I wouldn't be going to the UK unless I am selected for one of the top universities.
Anyone learning Scala, Haskell or Ruby? If so know any Uni's which have top up Degrees with those languages?
Original post by illegaltobepoor
Anyone learning Scala, Haskell or Ruby? If so know any Uni's which have top up Degrees with those languages?

Unlikely that any of them would tbh, look into 'developer bootcamp' programmes instead, much better than wasting time with another degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Unlikely that any of them would tbh, look into 'developer bootcamp' programmes instead, much better than wasting time with another degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

unfortunately I have. just taking time out atm.
I guess MAT would be the only way to prove that now. Also, I didn't choose mid level universities, as I wouldn't be going to the UK unless I am selected for one of the top universities.

A different situation for than me.Anyways all the best for the MAT
Original post by illegaltobepoor
unfortunately I have. just taking time out atm.

Most uni's teach ruby and haskell.Which uni's have scala in their modules?

Do you have a backup plan if not selected to the top uni's??
A different situation for than me.Anyways all the best for the MAT

What was different in your situation?

Do you have a backup plan if not selected to the top uni's??

Yeah. Back to Project India :P
What was different in your situation?

Yeah. Back to Project India :P

Im moving to UK,so i have to choose some university.But most probably mid level if not a great one
Im moving to UK,so i have to choose some university.But most probably mid level if not a great one

Oh. That's completely different. I still have Indian universities as a backup.
I hope that MAT turns out to be easy enough for me. Oxford has been a long time dream :P
I hope that MAT turns out to be easy enough for me. Oxford has been a long time dream :P

Loool, 'easy enough' - how's the prep coming along?

Posted from TSR Mobile
A2 Subjects Achieved - A* in IT, B in Philosophy, B in Economics
A2 Subjects Predicted - A in Mathematics (AS + A2)
GCSE's Grades - A*AABCCCF
Extra Curricular - Programmed an algebra calculator, read Computer Mathematics by D.J. Cooke
Programming languages you know and to what level - Java (Advanced), C# and Ruby (Basic)
Uni's Chosen - (Either Manchester or Edinburgh), York, Sheffield, Liverpool, and Newcastle

Posted from TSR Mobile

Else you can do your first year at india and try for 2nd year entry. But oxford and cambridge dont give that option.
Reply 96
Does anyone reckon what should one score at MAT to get an interview at Oxford? For Maths applicants the average of shortlisted people is around 60-65%. Would it be lower for CS?
Original post by pecora
Does anyone reckon what should one score at MAT to get an interview at Oxford? For Maths applicants the average of shortlisted people is around 60-65%. Would it be lower for CS?

For successful applicants: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/261970/response/648052/attach/html/2/Shah%20Ltr.docx.html

The range for the majority of short listed people is 55%+ with some falling below that: http://www.merton.ox.ac.uk/admissions-feedback-computer-science

Do bear in mind that these figures fluctuate year on year, depending on how difficult the exam is and how strong the cohort is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Loool, 'easy enough' - how's the prep coming along?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not as smoothly as I expected. The only resources I have at hand are the Dr Frost Maths archive, and the previous question papers. Any suggestions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Else you can do your first year at india and try for 2nd year entry. But oxford and cambridge dont give that option.

And how does that work? All the other colleges offer options for 2nd year entry?
Not as smoothly as I expected. The only resources I have at hand are the Dr Frost Maths archive, and the previous question papers. Any suggestions?

I've just been doing STEP I Pure, UKMT, IYGB papers and the Maths section of the PAT. How did you get a hold of his archive?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending