The Student Room Group

Did your parents/guardians ever hit you as a child?

Poll

Did your parents/guardians ever hit you as a child?

Just wondering...
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Yeah, when I misbehaved. And I'm fine with it. It did help to build a foundation of discipline early on. Whether it's still to be used now? I'm 18 at the moment, so I can't really say until I have children of my own.
I was smacked occasionally as a child. It instilled good discipline and made me realise quickly that I didn't want to do things that would end up with a smacking! :eek: I don't think there's anything wrong with using it once in a way, personally :nah:
Yep!

If I said something rude to them, or hit someone else. So I guess it was fair tbh.
Reply 4
This was basically me and my dad every week

Oh hell yeah! I don't feel pain anymore thanks to them beatings😂

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Reply 6
Me and my mum were more like sisters, probably because we were both only children and she had me when she was young and I'm not going to lie, we did get into physical fights like siblings do when I was young, especially when I was a teen.
When I did something wrong, yeah. I don't think kids get smacked enough these days tbh, our generation were raised knowing that if we mouthed off to our parents we'd take a whooping round the arse and that was enough of a deterrent, I find it shocking how some kids speak to their parents and elders in general now.
If I did something really bad it would be a smack, probably no more than 5 times in my life.

School was worse, the teacher would slap you round the back of the head for not paying attention or throw books at you for talking. It was never done aggressively and it defiantly made you respect your teachers more.
Original post by WoodyMKC
When I did something wrong, yeah. I don't think kids get smacked enough these days tbh, our generation were raised knowing that if we mouthed off to our parents we'd take a whooping round the arse and that was enough of a deterrent, I find it shocking how some kids speak to their parents and elders in general now.

I still don't swear in front of my parents. That was a guaranteed way to get hit with the belt and slippers as a child. Would just feel awkward doing it now, even though there is nothing they could do to stop me lel.
And the iron thrown at me. And slapped in the face with a curtain rod. And choked. And glass thrown at me. My mother even beat me with a lamp once :cry2:.
And she sat on me, but she's over 200 lbs.

I guess that's why I'm so volatile and crazy.
No, my parents don't believe in using force. However, they'd swear at me if I did something wrong :lol:
Original post by Tailored_Suit
My God!

:s-smilie:
My teacher when I was like 11 called child welfare services to the school because I was bruised so badly; my mom had beat me for hours the night before for eating candy. And now my mom hates me :s-smilie:
Never just the odd insults
I grew up in an abusive household so used to get beaten regularly as a child.
Original post by Tanjida95x
No, my parents don't believe in using force. However, they'd swear at me if I did something wrong :lol:
That'll teach you.

I got a slapped leg if I acted up in public, but at home I didn't get struck unless I'd done something really bad - and then I got my hide tanned.

Nothing wrong with it in my opinion. I learned to have respect, to act properly when I'm out, and not to be a complete **** at home.
No, never
To be honest i was actually a good kid, if i did something awful (in kid terms) id get grounded for a week, no tv no going out no nothing
Otherwise my mum would just tell me to stop and why and i did
Never a need to hit me :smile:
Yes, once when I did something really bad. Strangely can't remember what it was now. A good parent doesn't need to hit their child more than once or twice.
Original post by Sweet n Sour
And the iron thrown at me. And slapped in the face with a curtain rod. And choked. And glass thrown at me. My mother even beat me with a lamp once :cry2:.
And she sat on me, but she's over 200 lbs.

I guess that's why I'm so volatile and crazy.

:eek:

I'd probably die if I had that done to me. You did very well to take it and put it behind you :smile:
Yeah, but only my dad. But not because I did anything bad, just mainly because he was bored/pissed off at something - my mum, my brother and I were my dad's punch bags. He was more of a fan of chasing me around the house with knives though, fought more with my brother. :dontknow:

He's crazy.

Quick Reply

Latest