The Student Room Group

Direction of Current in questions

I'm doing questions involving the force on a current-carrying wire in a magnetic field, however I don't know whether to use conventional current or not.
Cna you write the question? When dealing with circuits, you must use always the conventional direction. However, if the question it's about a force in a conductor, normally you gotta use the right-hand (left-hand) rule to find the direction of the current, force or movement depending on the question.
Original post by pineneedles
I'm doing questions involving the force on a current-carrying wire in a magnetic field, however I don't know whether to use conventional current or not.

Just in addition to the other poster's answer, the direction of the current is always the conventional current (that is, from positive to negative terminal). However, the direction of the flow of electrons would be the actual direction in which they would flow (that is, from negative to positive terminal). The left or the right hand rule assume the conventional current as their direction of current and not the flow of electrons
Original post by neometalero
Cna you write the question? When dealing with circuits, you must use always the conventional direction. However, if the question it's about a force in a conductor, normally you gotta use the right-hand (left-hand) rule to find the direction of the current, force or movement depending on the question.

Original post by Mehrdad jafari
Just in addition to the other poster's answer, the direction of the current is always the conventional current (that is, from positive to negative terminal). However, the direction of the flow of electrons would be the actual direction in which they would flow (that is, from negative to positive terminal). The left or the right hand rule assume the conventional current as their direction of current and not the flow of electrons

Thanks guys, I understand what you've told me, it's just that it doesn't seem to fit with the questions I'm doing. They seem to assume that current flows from the negative terminal to the positive when using Fleming's rules. I don't want to search the specific question because it's part of an assessed homework, though.

Basically, the questions involve a current carrying rod on a balance within a magnetic field. The balance shows whether the force on the rod is upwards or downwards depending on whether the weight is increasing or decreasing. I can tell the direction of the force is downwards, for example, because the mass reading is said to increase, and see the direction of the magnetic field on the diagram, which means I can find the direction of current flow, which appears to be from negative to positive despite the fact that it should be conventional.
Thanks guys, I understand what you've told me, it's just that it doesn't seem to fit with the questions I'm doing. They seem to assume that current flows from the negative terminal to the positive when using Fleming's rules. I don't want to search the specific question because it's part of an assessed homework, though.

Basically, the questions involve a current carrying rod on a balance within a magnetic field. The balance shows whether the force on the rod is upwards or downwards depending on whether the weight is increasing or decreasing. I can tell the direction of the force is downwards, for example, because the mass reading is said to increase, and see the direction of the magnetic field on the diagram, which means I can find the direction of current flow, which appears to be from negative to positive despite the fact that it should be conventional.

Is it explicitly stated on the diagram/question that the direction of electron flow is from negative to positive terminal? Or is it the direction of current? If it is the direction of electron flow then that's correct.
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
Is it explicitly stated on the diagram/question that the direction of electron flow is from negative to positive terminal? Or is it the direction of current? If it is the direction of electron flow then that's correct.

No, nothing of the sort is explicitly stated on any of the questions. This is just what I've worked out from the magnetic field and force ^_^
No, nothing of the sort is explicitly stated on any of the questions. This is just what I've worked out from the magnetic field and force ^_^

Unless the question wants you to find either the direction of electron flow or current, you can state either as long as you are specified.
edit: @pineneedles You need to use the left hand rule though
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest