The Student Room Group

Posts breaking UK law policy

Scroll to see replies

But yeah, he's probably shaking with fright in his room at the thought of DCI Smith knocking at his door.
Original post by littlenorthernlass
No, they can't. I was friends with experienced section leaders. The CT can't track individuals down with IPs. Why do you think they couldn't do IP bans?
The police can probably do it, idk.

Hence why I said OTHER PROCESSES meaning things done to deal with the matter outside of TSR.

congrats on being friends with them, though.
Original post by So Instinct
Edited my post slightly, apologies I can be quite indecisive and have urges to add/remove things.

Creepy things like? I don't pay much attention to that stuff.

I mean, depends on his age whether I feel sympathy. I lacked understanding and empathy when I was younger and made a bomb joke myself. You just don't think when you're younger and you get sucked into saying things in attempt to be funny/cool which you don't understand the ramifications of.

It should be taken seriously, but they need to also apply some common sense to the matter. Give an official warning that doesn't hinder his adulthood rather than do something rash like arrest him- unless ofc something is found to legitimise his threats.

Yeah I agree, the reason it's so bad is because it makes it difficult to identify a real threat from a fake one. It's a tricky subject imo.

It's no problem :tongue: I'm forever editing my posts because I'm constantly making typos thanks to my busted keyboard. And I always think of something new to say while editing.

Eh, last I remember was thread about being groped. He was responding to girls who were talking about their experiences (of basically being sexually assaulted and harassed) that they should be flattered and the men did nothing wrong...yeah sure buddy.

Judging by the way he wrote, I doubt he was any younger than 16. So responsible for his actions I think. Any younger then perhaps it should be dealt with differently. Like mandatory classes on how to behave and why what he was doing was wrong.

Yes, I understand that. It definitely is case by case. You do just get some people who go and threaten everyone once and say awful things on a one off. Which while unacceptable is not the most malicious thing in the world. On the other hand you can get users who repeatedly threaten and harass specific members, which absolutely is malicious and can cause harm.
Original post by bulf
you think the police give a **** about a bored kid making threats on an internet forum? c'mon now

Well I'm only talking about the prospect of prosecution.

You need sufficient evidence - check
Needs to be in the public interest to prosecute.
See Number 12 here

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/a_to_c/communications_sent_via_social_media/

Original post by welshieee
They didn't put mechanisms in place to remove anonymity. They tried but their verification process was completely ridiculous. I've been part of communities in the past whereby you've had to prove who you are before being granted access, and overall, its nipped all the idiocy in the bud, even if signing up took a bit longer. It kept the idiots out and those that joined and started acting like prats were soon kicked out and couldn't get back in again as we knew who they were.

It will never happen on here because it's a student forum. A kid isn't going to verify an account.
Original post by thecatwithnohat
Hence why I said OTHER PROCESSES meaning external agencies.

I wasn't talking about that.
No, they can't. I was friends with experienced section leaders. The CT can't track individuals down with IPs. Why do you think they couldn't do IP bans?

Actually, they can and regularly do trace people using dupe accounts by IP addresses and other information.

They can see IP addresses but you're right, they couldn't use these to track someone down. They'd have to go through an ISP with a court order to be able to do that. It's exactly what the police would do if they were to pursue this as a genuine case.

They don't do IP bans because people can simply change their IP address or use a proxy to circumvent the IP address or IP range that they've banned. Also, banning an IP range carries the risk of blocking out genuine users who happen to be allocated an IP address within that particular range. It's not that they can't do IP bans but that they won't do them because they're not really an effective method of dealing with problematic users.
It qualifies as a breach of the telecommunications act, where a person makes threats/harrassment of another using a medium of telecommunications, and dependent on the circumstances can absolutely result in police action.
Original post by moonkatt
Actually, they can and regularly do trace people using dupe accounts by IP addresses and other information.

So you're saying they were wrong or lying? Considering one of them was like a cyber security king:lol:
No, they can't. I was friends with experienced section leaders. The CT can't track individuals down with IPs. Why do you think they couldn't do IP bans?The police can probably do it, idk.
Unless you're using a proxy or a VPN all websites can see the IP address you're using to access them. It's not some huge secret, at the same time, it is possible that when you are assigned a new IP by your service provider, that you are given someone's old one who had been permabanned, which may be why IP bans are not used.
So you're saying they were wrong or lying? Considering one of them was like a cyber security king:lol:

Mad vlad?

They/we can/could.* Not sure where you got that one from.

*e: Track IPs, that is.
-------

No doubt whoever caused this mischief is some dupe of some ******** anyway. I would imagine it's been all handled as expected but I'm sure the CT appreciate the communities concerns and efforts at how to do their job.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Champagne Supernova
They/we can/could. Not sure where you got that one from.

-------

No doubt whoever caused this mischief is some dupe of some ******** anyway. I would imagine it's been all handled as expected but I'm sure the CT appreciate the communities concerns and efforts at how to do their job.

You all said that you couldn't. :indiff:
Original post by Champagne Supernova
They/we can/could. Not sure where you got that one from.

-------

I wonder if we will get to know the main of the person making these threats.
Who was it?
You all said that you couldn't. :indiff:

Define 'track individuals down.' It seems like people are chewing your ear off over a misunderstanding. If you mean, find out the exact name of a person using their IP alone, well anyone knows the answer to that. If you mean, track an individual IP, then that is also obvious to anyone. Naturally, I won't delve into what the CT can and can't do to protect their website.
Original post by Rad-Reloaded
I wonder if we will get to know the main of the person making these threats.

The main account was angryjobseeker. His dupes simply added numbers to the end of it.
How do you think the community team work out who the dupes are? I think you're getting mixed up with the use of IP bans and why they're not widely used, which is something I'm not willing to go into nor I think I'm allowed to discuss.

Maybe I am, but that surely links in with the fact that IPs aren't reliable at tracing people?

You can match IP's of users but you can't trace a person. You'd need to go through an ISP with a court order to be able to trace someone from an IP address alone. This is exactly what the police would do if the case was reported to them.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
The main account was angryjobseeker. His dupes simply added numbers to the end of it.

I assumed that all the angryjobseeker accounts were dupes of someone else, I have no idea why someone would make a whole series of accounts just to post stupid threatening messages.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending