The Student Room Group

Should I move to private accommodation from halls? (1st year)

Has anyone done this or have any idea about it? Basically I'm studying law at a pretty average university and as such my flatmates and people around me in halls have much less work and a lot less contact hours than me. They want to have flat parties and go out literally every night, which during freshers I was totally fine with and had a great time with them all but now my course has properly started I simply dont have the time. For the past week I've had to turn down invites to nights out and had to ask them to have pre drinks at another flat as I needed to be up really early. It's giving me the reputation of the party pooper who just stays in his room even though I've explained to them I really need to do well this year (I had a year out to relax and now really want to get down to work). I was thinking it would be better to find private accommodation so I could have my own personal space and just do work and actually get some sleep once in a while? I really do like my flatmates but because their courses are more relaxed and have more of a ''first year doesnt matter'' type vibe they cant seem to understand why I'm taking it so seriously.
Original post by JakeCryo
Has anyone done this or have any idea about it? Basically I'm studying law at a pretty average university and as such my flatmates and people around me in halls have much less work and a lot less contact hours than me. They want to have flat parties and go out literally every night, which during freshers I was totally fine with and had a great time with them all but now my course has properly started I simply dont have the time. For the past week I've had to turn down invites to nights out and had to ask them to have pre drinks at another flat as I needed to be up really early. It's giving me the reputation of the party pooper who just stays in his room even though I've explained to them I really need to do well this year (I had a year out to relax and now really want to get down to work). I was thinking it would be better to find private accommodation so I could have my own personal space and just do work and actually get some sleep once in a while? I really do like my flatmates but because their courses are more relaxed and have more of a ''first year doesnt matter'' type vibe they cant seem to understand why I'm taking it so seriously.

Firstly, check out your contract to see if they allow swaps or not as you may need to find a replacement. But you're living with people who don't have the same attitude to working as you then moving to somewhere with flatmates that do could make you feel happier i d have thought. If they are university halls then i would go to your accommodation office and see if they can help as someone in a quiet flat might want to swap to a party flat
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Firstly, check out your contract to see if they allow swaps or not as you may need to find a replacement. But you're living with people who don't have the same attitude to working as you then moving to somewhere with flatmates that do could make you feel happier i d have thought. If they are university halls then i would go to your accommodation office and see if they can help as someone in a quiet flat might want to swap to a party flat

Thanks for the advice. I already looked into the policy regarding contract swaps and I pretty much just need to find anyone in any of my universities halls and we can swap just like that. I'm going to look around on facebook to see if anyones in a ''boring'' flat and maybe swap with them.
Original post by JakeCryo
Thanks for the advice. I already looked into the policy regarding contract swaps and I pretty much just need to find anyone in any of my universities halls and we can swap just like that. I'm going to look around on facebook to see if anyones in a ''boring'' flat and maybe swap with them.

Sounds like it shouldnt be too difficult to sort for you hopefully:smile: Hope you find somewhere to get a good nights sleep
Never understood why people would want to live in uni halls, perhaps its a the time to make new friends? But i made many friends anyway while living privately.

You should make the move to private, you will be have a lot of space to yourself and be able to focus on your studies. i definitely would have failed my first year had i went halls.
Reply 5
Original post by happytobehmrc
Never understood why people would want to live in uni halls, perhaps its a the time to make new friends? But i made many friends anyway while living privately.

You should make the move to private, you will be have a lot of space to yourself and be able to focus on your studies. i definitely would have failed my first year had i went halls.

Lol what? Moving to private halls doesn't mean you'll pass the slightest, in my uni private halls and uni halls are just as social. My halls I don't mean like houses, I mean proper halls owned by a company other than the uni.
Original post by Async
Lol what? Moving to private halls doesn't mean you'll pass the slightest, in my uni private halls and uni halls are just as social. My halls I don't mean like houses, I mean proper halls owned by a company other than the uni.

oh no, i never meant private 'halls', i meant private residence. like a house on a street with non student renters.
Reply 7
Original post by happytobehmrc
oh no, i never meant private 'halls', i meant private residence. like a house on a street with non student renters.

Oh okay fair, I thought so, yeah houses like that have less social opportunities than halls.
Hi everyone! Can you help me? I am also in the same situation as JakeCryo and plan to apply for a room transfer. Can you give me any tips of which place though? So far, I was thinking of applying to transfer to Leodis Residences but not Block A.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending