The Student Room Group

Are you proud of your roots?

Scroll to see replies

Yeah for sure.
Well, all the plants in my garden look healthy so yeah, I guess I am
Why would I take pride in something I didn't have any control over? I like being English, and I feel very lucky to have been born here, but it's not something I can be proud about.
Some say the blacker the berry, the sweeter the juice
I say the darker the flesh then the deeper the roots
I give a holla to my sisters on welfare
Betelpac cares, if dont nobody else care
Reply 24
Original post by Danny the Geezer
I'm proud of my British and Irish heritage, I think keeping an identity is good-I'm not just proud to be born here-I'm proud of our multi-culturalism (which may seem weird if I'm proud of being British) our nature/scenery, lots of things really-to not be proud of where you're from is to leave yourself in limbo-you don't belong, you're drifting-anyone proud of their heritage?

Yes! So lovely to hear someone being proud of their roots without any kind of agenda behind it.

I'm proud of my British heritage, I love living in a multicultural and largely tolerant and forward thinking country. I also love the landscape, the cultural heritage, and having 4 seasons.

I also have Irish and Italian roots, going back 3 generations - I wouldn't be here without immigration. Which is probably true of most people.

I also think it's lucky that anyone born 1940s onwards was born at all. Most of our Great Grandfathers survived the first world war, and had sons who survived the second world war. The odds were well and truly stacked against us.
Yes I am so thrilled to have been born in Lewisham.
But seriously, yes very prouid

Spoiler

I have mild pride in British history until about WW1. I also have some pride in the fact that our defense tech is brilliant and we have a large stake in the global space industry.

Equally I think the greatest national shame is the way we regarded our Irish brethren to the point they left and more recently how accepting we've become of our lack of power (isolationist attitudes) and the disregard for our basic ethnic and cultural background.
I'm not sure it's either important or justifiable to be proud of one's heritage. Or rather, I do not think it's overly meaningful.
Yep, proud of my African, white and Arab roots :h:
image.jpg
I don't care about them at all.

I really HATE how some of them talk.
I'm not really into the music.
I only like the food.

I am proud to be British though.
Original post by Castro Saint
Yes I am so thrilled to have been born in Lewisham.

I'm in Lewisham! We could meet!
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
My roots are weird.

I'm descended from the Ancient Greek merchants, Romans in Dacia, shipwrights in Crimea, knights from Germany and traders from Switzerland, on top of the fact that I'm Moldovan.

Proud of all of them.

You're Moldovan?? Hi!!
Proud Romanian here. Not sure about my full genealogy though. I am from the eastern part of Romania and for some reason I'm super proud of this too. And I love my accent! (which is kind of a toned down version of the Moldovan one ^^)
Reply 34
I'm proud of who I am and not ashamed of my Caribbean, British, working class roots.

Too many individuals dedicate far too much time to trying to demean others rather than being proud of themselves. I think it's a valuable personal quality.
Yes. I find that most people are proud of their roots, and I think it's good to know more about where you come from. I know a lot of African-Americans have visited Africa, and a lot of Chinese people have visited China. People of Korean descent visit Korea, etc.

As for myself, my ancestry is English, Scottish, Irish, and German. So I would like to visit the UK at some point, although it's not looking like I'm going to have a realistic opportunity to do so. I'm going to have to take out a huge loan to pay for school, because going to just about any decent out of state or private school is going to cost $30,000-$40,000 USD a year (in tuition alone) even if I stay in the US.

Given that the debt is going to be so large, I was thinking of going to school in the UK, because when you're looking at prices like that, another $10,000 or $20,000 in debt probably isn't a big deal. I'll either get a really good job and it won't matter, or I'll spend the rest of my life paying it off. If the latter happens and I stay in the US, then I won't ever have another chance to leave the country because everything I make will go towards paying off the debt. But if it happens and I went to the UK, then at least I got to see the country and learn something about the place where my ancestors came from.

But I learned from someone else that my grades won't be good enough to go anywhere in the UK, because their educational system has higher standards or something. Supposedly, even if I discounted all the selective universities, I still couldn't get into any of the worthwhile remaining ones. LOL.

Oh well, at least I can talk to people from there on the Internet and look at photographs.
(edited 8 years ago)
No. I'm proud of things I've achieved. Having the fortune or misfortune to be born in a particular country/culture is not an achievement.
Yes. On my fathers side I'm Scottish and they can be traced back to the 17th century where they lived in Perthshire. I don't know as much about the English side of my mother but I do have an ancestor who was in the Charge of the Light Brigade in the Crimean War.
I am a nationalist and so proud of my roots. Having said that though, with regards to the UK, it is the roots from Wales, England and NI I am proud of. I have no pride on Scotland's behalf.
Reply 39
Original post by Gears265
I am a nationalist and so proud of my roots. Having said that though, with regards to the UK, it is the roots from Wales, England and NI I am proud of. I have no pride on Scotland's behalf.

but you're the guy with the massive brown girl fever...:confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending