The Student Room Group

Can someone explain blood pressure?

Earlier today i was sat at my computer and felt my heart rate jump up (it felt fast and VERY hard and i was dizzy and felt it slightly harder to breathe) and when tested it was 115. Which is quite high considering id done nothing but sit at a computer for three hours. My mum went aol mumish and took me to get my blood pressure checked thinking it could be low. About an hour after it had settled back to normal we got my bp checked and discovered it was 144/76 which apparently is high but nothing to be really worried about. This is the first time i can remember having my bp tested so dont really know what things mean. I think the numbers are to do with pressure in and oit but whats good and whats bad? Is it better or worse to have a bigger gap between the two numbers? Also im an 18 yr old female, i dont drink, eat healthily and exercise ish (maybe once a week, i can definately do more but its finding he time with school etc).
The 1st number is when your heart contracts and squirts blood out at high pressure, the 2nd number is when your heart relaxes and blood still moves around the body but at a slower rate. So for a normal person,120/80 is ok at rest. BP can increase from stress and exercise.

It needs checking if your heart rate is so high and BP is high at rest.

Quick Reply

Latest